• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

British Pro-gun Website

CrossFire

imported post

I think a discussion forum would be very interesting. Everyone I know over there were completely awestruck when they found out that I carry here at home.

CoonDawg

imported post

I'd very much like to see a discussion forum for this. If one was created, the overwhelming majority of the vistors (being British) will be anti-gun, but some "reeducation" can be done on our part. I think most British people (along with most American people) are against guns simply because they're misinformed and stubborn to consider the alternative.

With the rising violent crime rates in Britain, however, I have a feeling they will be open to what we and other pro-gun advocates have to say.

Sig229

imported post

Does anyone know how to make a decent discussion forum with little or no money?
Im still in college, so I cant afford some really elaborate forum.

Half of my family fame from Scotland (Dumfries) and Northern England and I visit there on a somewhat frequent basis (when the fare is cheap) so I do have an idea of British principles and overall demeanor.

There are actually a few pro-gun elected officials in the UK, but they need a voice of the people behind them with fresh ideas to get things rolling.

At this point in the semester, I have a lot of time on my hands so I can "put in work" with getting a forum set up.
I just dont know how to get one off the ground.

CoonDawg

imported post

I've made about a dozen forums, although the ones I've used I doubt are around or any good now. A google search of "Free forums" would give you a thousand options, but this one seems decent: http://www.makeforum.org/home.php I'm not sure, I've never made one with them before. It is free. Don't ever pay for one, jsut use the free ones. Domains usually only cost a couple dollars for the year though, the website should offer that option or you can use a different domain name website (godaddy, for example).

It's really simple, should only take you a couple hours to organize all of the sections, sign up, etc. I like phpbb a lot, which makeforum.org uses, but vbulletin is fine, too.

KBCraig

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Half of my family fame from Scotland (Dumfries) ...
Hello, Cousin!

My family came from there too. Well, they were kicked out from there, anyway. We had one ancestor born in 1729 in Ireland, who then landed in America before 1750 (and was an American captain in the Revolution).

I visited Dumfries in 1989, and stayed in a very nice B&B at 1 Lockerbie Road. This was just 5 months after the Pan Am 103 crash; the lady of the house was from Lockerbie, and her brother was killed by the falling debris.

The husband drove us into town, where we rented bicycles and biked out to Caerlaverock. We walked the town, saw the Burns house, bought fish & chips from a window at what seemed a shockingly high price, and saw Craig's End, Craig's Farm, and Craig's Lane. (We're everywhere over there!)

Sorry for the totally OT hijacking, but your mention of Dumfries brough back memories. It's a damn shame that the Scottish Parliament has more viciously and thoroughly disarmed the Scots than centuries of sassenach monarchy could have ever dreamed of doing.
:cuss:

KBCraig

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
Does anyone know how to make a decent discussion forum with little or no money?
mywowbb.com IIRC starts at $100/year
Or you can just buy your own domain with a year's hosting for $50-80 a year and run free, open-source forum software like SMF (my first choice) or phpBB (which is also popular, but less powerful). Almost any choice is better than the sucktastic WowBB forum software.

GoDaddy's plans with a 12 month contract run $4.74/mo for Economy, $6.64/mo for Deluxe, or $14.24/mo for Unlimited space and bandwidth. The Economy plan is good enough for most local/regional groups, but the Deluxe plan comes with more email addresses, space, bandwidth, and databases (so in addition to your forum, you can host photo albums, blogs, etc., etc.,)

All the popular open source programs are included; you just have to go to user control panel and "turn them on".

old dog

imported post

It's painful to see the Scots and English, who have given so much to Western civilization, deteriorate so. It seems the police, especially where free speech and innocuous activity are concerned, make up law on the spot. To wit: the elderly gentleman who had his cane confiscated as a weapon and the young man who was told he could not display an English flag lest someone be offended. Compared to your police ours appear downright benign. Of course, we do have that pesky Constitution.

By the way, my ancestor from Tayside was settled in America by 1729. BLESS HIS MEMORY!

TehGruu

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
Hello, Cousin!

...they were kicked out from there, anyway...

Lol, mine too. It was either go to the colonies or get beheaded. Little surprise that they fought in the revolution.

-Gruu

KBCraig

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
Hello, Cousin!

...they were kicked out from there, anyway...

Lol, mine too. It was either go to the colonies or get beheaded. Little surprise that they fought in the revolution.

Yup. We don't know the exact year they made it to America (sometime between stopping in Ireland to give birth in 1729, and 1750). One ancestor fought in the French & Indian war, then was an American captain in the Revolution.

Smokeless Coal

imported post

I post on ArmBritain as well.

BritainNeedsGuns (mentioned above), a user on that forum has a problem. He gotchargedwithhaving a pepper spray.

What sort of sentence he might get is a bit like spinning a coin. Could be a little fine or could be 5 years jail, it depends on the judge and whether our Home Office are demanding blood.