• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
The little girl did verygood in notifying an adult. But while not a horribly bad mistake, her parents omitted something that I, along with many of my friends, were taught from a very early age.... which is to never touch a firearm without thesupervision & explicit permission of an adult; and if we ever found an unattended gun to notify an adult immediately without touching it.

The situation could've easily went the other way, as was what happened with the 5yr-old in Nola just a few days ago.... who died after he found a loaded Taurus 9mm in a closet as his family was moving.
+1 Precisely my point.

Yata hey

M&P.40

imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
The little girl did verygood in notifying an adult. But while not a horribly bad mistake, her parents omitted something that I, along with many of my friends, were taught from a very early age.... which is to never touch a firearm without thesupervision & explicit permission of an adult; and if we ever found an unattended gun to notify an adult immediately without touching it.

The situation could've easily went the other way, as was what happened with the 5yr-old in Nola just a few days ago.... who died after he found a loaded Taurus 9mm in a closet as his family was moving.

And the little 3yr child in sam's club that took the gun from her mommy's (the JUDGE)purse and shot her self in the chest luckl a ly I don,t think she died..no charges were filed against the judge who also had a CWP.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

M&P.40 wrote:
AnaxImperator wrote:

And the little 3yr child in sam's club that took the gun from her mommy's (the JUDGE)purse and shot her self in the chest luckl a ly I don,t think she died..no charges were filed against the judge who also had a CWP.
What state?

Cite please.

Yata hey

PT111

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
M&P.40 wrote:
AnaxImperator wrote:

What state?

Cite please.

Yata hey
Don't have a link but it was in SC at the Sam's in Columbia. It was her Gandmother's purse not her Mother's.

MetalChris

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
M&P.40 wrote:
AnaxImperator wrote:

What state?

Cite please.

Yata hey
Don't have a link but it was in SC at the Sam's in Columbia. It was her Gandmother's purse not her Mother's.
http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=8451232

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Doug Huffman (15 September 2008 Monday 11:10) opines:

'Responsibility' is a cheap shot not much different from safety as a tyrant's tool. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. Maybe the irresponsible gun owner should be disarmed in the name of public safety?
Well, what would be your recommendation for handling the case of negligently leaving a loaded firearm in a playground full of children?

Should he have simply been given his firearm back and asked not to do it again?

regards,

GR

M&P.40

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
M&P.40 wrote:
Sorry sir,I was trying to get Mr. Roberts attention,He's not helpingthe situation in SC,we're trying to get OC here..
Thank you for editing your profile as our owner has asked.

Who is the 'we' trying to get OC in SC? The NRA? Nope. GRGRSC? Nope. GOSC? NOpe, that's just the NRA assiliate... Who?
I guess I was under the wrong impression when Mike (super moderator)posted the online petition to restore open carry in SC and folk were signing it in favor of open carry ,also started a flier campaign to get more folks to sign the petition.I can see now that it's worthless in your opinion to try and get OC here,people in sc obviously don't have anyBACKING to do anything of this caliber.My reason for joining this site was to help in any way I could to help get things changed to make it better for gun owners ,But I guess I was just pissing in a huricane..SO THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST ON THIS SITE...

M&P.40

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Why, thank you for your dedication.

I signed the petition. I don't suppose we'll ever know if M∧P.40 signed ... or Anony Mouse.

Yes,I signedthe petitionwhy do you think I started my own flier campaign to get more people to sign, I was hoping this would get somewhere,obviously not..
Why did you signApetition that does not have any backbone?

According to you I've wasted MY time passing out fliers trying to get people to sign the petition..

I'll leave this up toJake Knottshe seems to control things in columbia anyway.

P.S.

Seems like every post on here now has to have bashing. This thread was not about me ,but for some reason you made it that way.WHY?

This thread was suppose to about a little girl finding a gun.

THANKS VERY MUCH , DOUG HUFFMAN

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Please take such as above to PM where you can shout to your hearts content.

Yata hey

M&P.40

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Please take such as above to PM where you can shout to your hearts content.

Yata hey

Not alot of respect for members around here! If you can't express your point of view ,How can you have an opinion? I've never said anything out of the way to anyone on this forum.

I shouted because it is irresponsible and unexceptable for a grown man with firearms safetytraining to drop a loaded handgun where innocent children will be exposed to the dangers ofA firearm.Guns in the wrong hands do kill whether
accidental or deliberate.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:

'Responsibility' is a cheap shot not much different from safety as a tyrant's tool. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. Maybe the irresponsible gun owner should be disarmed in the name of public safety?
Well, what would be your recommendation for handling the case of negligently leaving a loaded firearm in a playground full of children?

regards,

GR

Probably. Anything else would be "infringing" on his right to bear arms. :quirky

cREbralFIX

imported post

The point of arresting the man was...what? He already felt stupid and learned the lesson.

Was anyone hurt? No

Was property damaged? No.

Therefore, I see no reason for any restitution since nobody was hurt.

Edit: Didn't see the trespassing charge.

DenWin

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
Couldn't be legally charged with Trespassing here in Oregon. In order for a trespassing charge to stick, a "person in charge" has to first ask you to leave the property, I believe.

What's the trespassing law there in South Carolina where he was arrested for it?

...Orygunner...
In SC the sign is considered proper notification. If you ignore the signs then you are trespassing. The signs carry the same weight as someone asking you to leave.
In Oregon, they figure that although most people are literate, not EVERYONE is literate. Therefore, Oregon requires some one to ask that you leave. If you don't, they can call the police, who will write you a warning for trespassing on private property (basically to make a documented account), and if you still don't leave or return in the future, then you can be charged with trespassing. That's what I learned when I was trespassing on private property. Unfortunately, there WEREN'T any signs, but they had a security company patrolling the are every so often, and I just happened to be there when they were there :banghead:

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Gentleman Ranker wrote:

regards,

GR

Probably. Anything else would be "infringing" on his right to bear arms. :quirky
being such a pretend constitutionalist that you are.

Since no property was damaged, and no one was hurt.

How would the state/govt have any standing in court against this man?

ooo ownage ;)

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Tipsy McStagger (16 September 2008 Tuesday 15:50) steadies himself and asks:

Since no property was damaged, and no one was hurt.

How would the state/govt have any standing in court against this man?
I do not know South Carolina law, but I would not be surprised to find that they had something similar to Virginia Code 18.2-56.1, which states in part:

It shall be unlawful for any person to handle recklessly any firearm so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
I am neither lawyer nor judge, but were I on a jury I would not have a problem finding the individual in question guilty of this offense. I would think a fine and community service appropriate for a first offense by an individual who had no prior record of such behavior.

I would still be interested to know Mr. Huffman's view, if he cares to share it.

regards,

GR

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
He was responsible enough to have been permitted in the first place, that is enough of an infringement. No one was harmed. I doubt WE have enough of the fundamentals of risk calculus to demonstrate significance. I don't believe further action is necessary.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$