• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun

PT111

imported post

A Lancaster man was arrested over the weekend after he left his loaded pistol at a Fort Mill playground and a 7-year-old girl found it, according to a York County Sheriff’s Office report.
A deputy was called to Plaza Fiesta just after 1:45 p.m. Saturday by a man who said a 7-year-old girl had given him a gun that she found on the playground.
The weapon was fully loaded when the girl discovered it, the report stated.
Later, 31-year-old Anthony Roberts asked a security guard if he could have his gun back, the report stated. Roberts told the sheriff’s deputy that he had his gun on the playground and must have dropped it when he went to get his son.
Roberts has a concealed weapons permit, but signs at the entrances to Plaza Fiesta said no weapons were allowed, the report stated. Roberts was charged with trespassing after notice because he brought the gun into Plaza Fiesta.
http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/815507.html

No excuse.

Orygunner

imported post

Oh, c'mon! People drop things on the playground all the time! Syrenges, crack baggies, pot pipes. What harm is a gun going to do?

Andwhat's up with the little girl BRINGING THE LOADED GUN to an adult? Aren't we teaching kids to clear the weapon first?

Seriously, the gun owner is an idiot, hopefully he will be made to understand that.No matter howor why he lost the gun (maybe he was swinging on the monkey bars?)he needed to be much more aware of where his weapon was. There's no excuse, for sure, and thankfully nobody got hurt.

You almost have to wonder if some of these idiots aren't working for the Brady Campaign?

...Orygunner...

nofoa

imported post

I wonder how many people have had their guns drops from holsters here. Shouldn't the same thing happen to anyone that drops the ball. It is good the child knew her eddie eagle stuff, or at least knew enough to not play with it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Anthony Roberts asked a security guard
Who is this security guard? Then the article goes to "the sheriff's deputy" as though they are the same individual, perhaps guarding the playground? Ineffectively.

"Responsibility" is a cheap shot not much different from safety as a tyrant's tool. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. Maybe the irresponsible gun owner should be disarmed in the name of public safety?

SQLtables

imported post

nofoa wrote:
I wonder how many people have had their guns drops from holsters here. Shouldn't the same thing happen to anyone that drops the ball. It is good the child knew her eddie eagle stuff, or at least knew enough to not play with it.

Never for me. Not that it COULDN'T happen, but if it did, I'm pretty darn sure I'd notice VERY quickly, since I make it a point to be sure my gun stays secure in it's holster.

Plus I'd wonder how I lost some weight so quickly....

This guys only getting trespassing charges? I guess nothing bad happened, but I wonder how long it took him to realize he was missing a gun...

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
nofoa wrote:

Never for me. Not that it COULDN'T happen, but if it did, I'm pretty darn sure I'd notice VERY quickly, since I make it a point to be sure my gun stays secure in it's holster.

Plus I'd wonder how I lost some weight so quickly....

This guys only getting trespassing charges? I guess nothing bad happened, but I wonder how long it took him to realize he was missing a gun...

My point exactly. It says he came BACK and asked for his gun. That means he didn't notice when it fell out. Like I said before, "Nice situational awareness, NOT!

M&P.40

imported post

Lucky for him Obama was'nt aroundor He would be under the jail house shackled to the wall. Endangering the lives of innocent children only gets you a trespassing violation.

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR GUN IS?

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE ?

AAAAHH! THEIR BY THE MONKEY BARS PLAYING WITH A GUN!

Orygunner

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
"Responsibility" is a cheap shot not much different from safety as a tyrant's tool. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. Maybe the irresponsible gun owner should be disarmed in the name of public safety?

Doug, Are you talking about lawfully enforced responsibility? If so, then I agree with you. We shouldn't have laws forcing us to be responsible, only laws for punishing when we actually do something wrong.

Laws requiring we leave our guns behind, or unloaded, or in retention holsters interfere with ourrights. Laws requiring we keep them out of the reach of children or how we lock them up aren't right. They try to legislate common sense, which is only done at the expense of liberty, and not that effective, anyway.

We should all be for safety and responsibility, just not mandated by laws.

...Orygunner...

PT111

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Anthony Roberts asked a security guard
Who is this security guard? Then the article goes to "the sheriff's deputy" as though they are the same individual, perhaps guarding the playground? Ineffectively.

To answer your question this is a playground inside of a shopping mall and the security guard is thesecurity guard for the mall. When the gun was brought to him he then notified the sheriff's department who came out to investigate if it had been used in a crime or whatever.

From the article the only thing mr. Roberts was charged with was trespassing which is the result of violating the no concealed weapons signs. I suppose he got his gun back but I would not have been surprised if he did not. Evidently this was his first offense of trespassing.

Orygunner

imported post

Couldn't be legally charged with Trespassing here in Oregon. In order for a trespassing charge to stick, a "person in charge" has to first ask you to leave the property, I believe.

What's the trespassing law there in South Carolina where he was arrested for it?

...Orygunner...

PT111

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Couldn't be legally charged with Trespassing here in Oregon. In order for a trespassing charge to stick, a "person in charge" has to first ask you to leave the property, I believe.

What's the trespassing law there in South Carolina where he was arrested for it?

...Orygunner...
In SC the sign is considered proper notification. If you ignore the signs then you are trespassing. The signs carry the same weight as someone asking you to leave.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

M&P.40 wrote:
SHOW SOME RESPONSIBILITY PLEASE!
Please do not shout at the choir.

Here at OCDO all caps and especially in bold, large type is considered shouting.

Jus' trying to be informative not criticizing you.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nofoa wrote:
To the contrary, Eddie Eagle teaches kid to not touch the gun and call/get an adult.

"..................avoided an accident by doing exactly what Eddie Eagle had taught them: "STOP! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult."

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/fact.asp

Yata hey

Edited to add link

M&P.40

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
M&P.40 wrote:
SHOW SOME RESPONSIBILITY PLEASE!
Please do not shout at the choir.

Here at OCDO all caps and especially in bold, large type is considered shouting.

Jus' trying to be informative not criticizing you.

Yata hey

Sorry sir,I was trying to get Mr. Roberts attention,He's not helpingthe situation in SC,we're trying to get OC here..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Leader wrote:
I sure feel safer knowing that we have so many perfict people on this forum.
Gotta love sarcasim without reference - just indiscriminately cut everybody on the forum.

But not to worry, I'll presume that you directed that at me so I'll respond accordingly.

Neither myself nor any other contributor to this site has ever to my knowledge claimed to be infallable or perfect. We do strive for accuracy in reporting as the press is notoriously biased. We also point out misdirection of thoughts from others - and they may only be opinions. I have personally thanked or aplogized to posters for misinterperting their remarks.

We are constantly asking for cites when data/information is referred to, not because we wish to punish someone but because such information is worth less (it maybe worthless) without the source.

Never had anybody suggest before that striving for excellence/accurancy was a negative attribute. So be it, I'll still take the other road.

Yata hey

AnaxImperator

imported post

The little girl did verygood in notifying an adult. But while not a horribly bad mistake, her parents omitted something that I, along with many of my friends, were taught from a very early age.... which is to never touch a firearm without thesupervision & explicit permission of an adult; and if we ever found an unattended gun to notify an adult immediately without touching it.

The situation could've easily went the other way, as was what happened with the 5yr-old in Nola just a few days ago.... who died after he found a loaded Taurus 9mm in a closet as his family was moving.