• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Parade Entry?

Orygunner

imported post

My daughter was in the Eugene Celebration Parade this weekend with her roller skating group. Eugene being a very liberal town, of course I saw a lot of democrats, liberals, and hippies. Very few conservatives. I got to thinking how great it would be to get an Open Carry group entry into a parade...

Springfield seems to be more traditionally family oriented and OC friendly. The Springfield Christmas Parade is coming up on December 6th, 2008. Looks like the theme is "A Springfield Country Christmas."

Country folk are tough and self-reliant, what's more in line with that than Firearms and Open Carry? :D

How many are interested in joining the parade? The entry fee is only $25 for the whole bunch, unless they think we're a political group, and it bumps up to $100. We could be dressed cowboy/country (or not), OCing and holding signs/banners "Self Defense is a Human Right", "OpenCarry.ORG", "Gun Control makes nobody safer", "WE are responsible for our own self-defense", etc. etc.

Anybody else interested?I think this would be a GREAT way to publicize Open Carry! Tell me what you think!

...Orygunner...

Edited to clarify a little better.

DenWin

imported post

Great idea! Wish I could get in on it, but I won't be back in town by then, but I definetly hope others participate!:celebrate

JBURGII

imported post

As long as my schedule stays the same I am interested in joining!

JBURGII

imported post

We have until Nov 15 to turn in applications for this event.. Will anyone be interested in joining? I would be a part of the group..

Oooh.. ooooh! Can I wear my cowboy hat and carry my Model 94? OOOH! and my .30 carbine Blackhawk??

docs9788

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
Check to see whether that would be considered an organized armed group or militia. I'd be careful about parading around in an armed group.

All of those signs would probably be a good idea, but perhaps not legal if everyone was armed.
I AGREE....could definitely support a sign ONLY entry...but very UNSURE how we'd be received if armed.

ne1

imported post

I've done it already. If you carry something appropriate to your costume, no one need be the wiser. In fact a group I am with brought a black powder rifle to fire at random (primer only, no shot charge) for effect and we were loved by all. YMMV and reception maydiffer by locality.

I have suggested that we all dress as Indians this year and gather 'round a table drinking tea (images of Boston dancing in anyone's head?) but it doesn't look like this is going to happen.

:(

JBURGII

imported post

Interesting question. Would that not also apply to OC meetings? At what point does a group of law abiding citizens become an armed group or militia? I didn't figure we would get a huge group in on this anyway. One reason I thought the theme would help keep anyone from getting worked up about it. I still want to expose the general populace but not harm the cause.. sigh.. J

Orygunner

imported post

Well, I haven't found any state law that addresses an armed group? is this something federal, or is someone just mis-remembering something?

Being in the parade without OCing would be like the marching band leaving their instruments behind...

It's "Springfield Country Christmas" so western wear with sidearms (preferably single-action cowboy style pistols) and /or slung rifles/shotguns would be appropriate, although more modern western wear & firearms would certainly work too.

If we're going to have signs, what would they say? Advertisement for OCDO? Can we even claim to be OCDO officially? What other stuff should we put on signs?

I know there's at least a half-dozen members on OCDO from the Eugene/Springfield area, with families we should be able to get a group of at least a dozen! Get enough interest and discussion and maybe even get some of the Portland area guys to come down.

...Orygunner...

JBURGII

imported post

Ahh.. finally a place to wear my duster and carry my coach gun.. sigh.. I also been looking for an excuse to buy a couple of them navy blackpowder kits.. two of em in a cross draw rig? hmm..

scoobydoo6906

imported post

I think that this sounds like a great idea, I think the costumes are not a good idea and obscure the real message we are trying to promote. I am not sure about oregon open carry laws but if I don't work I will show up unarmed or armed what ever the law allows. you should post something about this on the washington part of the forum too, I am sure we can get a few people to travel for the cause.

Orygunner

imported post

My thought at this point is that we have only a few people expressing any interest, and only two weeks left before the registration deadline.

I now think it would be a better idea to get a tighter-knit group of local OC supporters together first through some monthly get-togethers in the Eugene/Springfield area, then all plan on hitting this next year with a sizable group.

...Orygunner...

scoobydoo6906

imported post

honestly I think being that it is closer to the date of the parade it might be easier to get people to go. about how many would there be? I mean dozen people or so would be a fairly nice number, but much under that would kinda be pointless. maybe even have a few people passing out info to people watching the parade. I'd be up for doing next for sure.

Orygunner

imported post

So far the only people posting on this thread expressing interest in entering the parade are thehoodedronin, JBURGII, docs9788, and scoobydoo6906.

The only reason for costume is to fit the theme of the parade, "Springfield Country Christmas." It's certainly not necessary to dress up, but it makes sense to me to try and fit in with the decided theme. I don't think it would detract from the message at all.

...Is there anyone else with any interest in joining?...
...Orygunner...

JBURGII

imported post

I am still intrigued but just though I might ought to be careful, the duster might accidentally cover my sidearm and be 'concealed' I don't currently hold a permit. Hence the open carry.. :D

If we don't get this off the ground for this year.. I do agree that local meets to organize next year would be good.. how bout other times during 2009, other holidays or any good excuse to OC, instead of must having bbqs and such.. start a positive PR campaign for the cause..

I am sure we could get some folks from Eug/Spfld together, a Lane County OC club?

Im really feelin kinda proactive lately.. J

Joey Link

imported post

I think this would be worth the drive from Portland. Is Springfield/Eugene one of the towns that restricts open carry to CHL holders? I'm sure if you crossposted this to the other forums (OCC, NWFA, etc.) we could get a lot more than a dozen people. I personally know of four, and I'm sure there are tons more.

Joey Link
NorthwestFirearms.com