• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO encounter Louisa County and an interesting reaction at a Harley dealership

NinjaRider

imported post

I was at a friend's place for a visit when a Louisa County Sheriff's car pulled up with some paperwork for a family member of my friend, Lloyd. When the officer saw my holstered pistol, the conversation went like this:

LCSD (friendly tone): What's that your are carrying?

Me: Taurus PT111 Pro, 9mm Stainless.

LCSD: (Same tone) That thing is no toy!

Me: No, sir, it is not!

He asked Lloyd if I was a family member and was told that I was a friend. I introduced myself and shook his hand. That was extent of his interest in me.

On Saturday, I went to Shenadoah Harley for an event they were hosting. Food, music, demo rides, that sort of thing. More just a way to draw people into the dealership. I like to ride motorcycles, so I go up to try a few hogs and Buells. Last time I went up, they had a 'no guns' sign. This time, no sign, and I was in my SUV. What made me most noticeable is that I had a Blue and Gold Macaw sitting on my shoulder. I happen to like parrots. Anyhow, here I am wandering around with a large parrot on my shoulder and a gun on my hip. One lady who works there came up to me and noticed the Taurus. She asked me why I was carrying a firearm. I just said that I carried because I had a right to carry. She said "Well, I will have to check to see if it is allowed or not". She got on to her radio and I just walked away. After all, how hard would I be to spot? I was talking to a couple of other folks whohappend to be working there as well (the bird really draws people in) and I heard on the radio "there is a man with a parrot on his shoulder who is carrying a firearm". They just looked at the gun and pretty much shrugged. They didn't care at all. I never heard another word.

That was the most negative encounter I have had open carrying, and I open carry a great deal.

Hell, I was even on the downtown mall on a Friday evening open carrying and walked right by a C'Ville PD Sergeant and he didn't even react. Of course, I had "Blue" with me and he does distract people.

Andrew.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

reminds me of that commericial.. "not another day.. not another day.. and the parrot repeats himself."

Maybe teach the parrot to respond to "Hey.. thats really neat! Where did you get him!!!??" with "I found him at a gun show!"

:-D

Armed

imported post

NinjaRider wrote:
.....I had a Blue and Gold Macaw sitting on my shoulder. I happen to like parrots.
..and I'm sure you are aware that this Friday, the 19th of September, is International Talk Like A Pirate Day! Aarggh! ;)

richarcm

imported post

I'd have been more interested in why the hell you had a parrot on your shoulder than why you are carrying a gun.

Just goes to show how much work is left to be done when even a parrot is unable to tame the sight of a gun.

nova

imported post

Why do I carry a gun? To protect myself from Macaw on Macaw violence

7.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Please note that the parrot above is sweeping himself with the muzzle and has one finger/claw on the trigger. Perhaps the owner should be charged with parrot endangerment. How old is this animal to be allowed to handle a gun in such a reckless manner.

:celebrate

It appears to be a .0045 cal. 1911.

Yata hey

NinjaRider

imported post

That's some funny stuff! I should teach the bird to say "I found him at a gun show!".

Why was I carrying a Macaw on my shoulder? Because I can, of course! Seriously, though. Macaws are very smart animals and going out is good for him, it keeps him from getting bored. I also like to educate folks about parrots in general. If you are interested, take a look at the following websites:

http://www.madmacaws.net

http://www.projectperry.com

Arrrr. matey!

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
NinjaRider wrote:
I had a Blue and Gold Macaw sitting on my shoulder.
:dude: Nice touch. One question though.

Was it a tactical Macaw? :D
Perhaps it was an Assault Macaw.

As long as it wasn't a Norwegian Blue Parrot. Though they do have beautiful plumage. :celebrate

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote: Green parrot with gun in mouth deleted

Can't say much about his muzzle control but he's got great finger discipline! But as the saying goes and seems to apply here too, "No matter how responsible he may seem, never give a loaded gun to a monkey". ;)

Prophet

imported post

I've thought of keeping a falcon and taking him out for walks and whatnot but living in the city the last thing i need is for him to swoop down and take off with someones chihuahua. We have some resident Perigrines here in Pittsburgh that keeps the Pigeon poluation under control...an occasional squirrel fits into there diet aswell...but I wonder if they would go after a pocketbook dog if it was running about. I kind of think it would.