• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Controlled pairs (double tap) how to?

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Just wondering if anyone has any experience on rapid fire with a 1911. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my shots as close together (time wise, not grouping) as possible, utilizing the standard trigger reset distance. I've heard and seen people get two shots off within a half a second and still maintain accuracy. Is there some trick to it? Any comments/advice welcome.

thanks

TheMrMitch

imported post

Practice.....and more of same.

Join a Practical Defense League, very good for you.

Learn point shooting (instinct). Put a can on some soft ground and double tap if you can't put up a target. Vision of impact stays with you.

AND......Practice.:)

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

good idea. when i get back from the desert and out of active duty, i certainly intend to get to the range as much as possible. i'm pretty good at instinct shooting, being able to keep both shots with the diameter of a paper plate, and being able to follow up with a headshot (im on about 3/4 of the time unless i take a second to aim). I guess you are right though, practice, practice, practice! Thanks for the advice :)

DenWin

imported post

TheMrMitch has it right, practice. Another little piece of advice for you from one soldier in the sand box to another, there are actually two types of 'double taps.' There is the controlled pair, which is specifically what you are asking about. The key word is CONTROLLED. You take the time you need to aim, fire, aim again, and fire. Then there is the quick pair. Key word:QUICK. You take the time to aim the first shot, fire, release to just the point of trigger reset, and fire again, as fast as you can.

Another thing that can help you is to remember your basic marksmanship principles: steady position, sights on target, breathing, and squeeze, NOT jerk, the trigger.

And my last piece of advice is follow through. When you make a shot, remember to hold the trigger down for a split second, even on quick pairs, as this will help to maintain a more consistent trigger squeeze. If you want anything more in depth, you can always PM me. I get to the range as often as I can every time I get back to home, just keep at it and practicing. I've always found about 200 - 250 rnds every couple of weeks will help maintain your current skill level. Do about twice that to improve your shooting. Good luck, and stay safe out there.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

roger that, and thank you as well for the advice. Followthrough has always been my biggest problem. My groups are tight (1.5-2 inches at 7 yds) when i relax and have good followthrough, but when i let go too soon or jerk the slightest, i'll have flyers. Guess practice and remembering the fundamentals is what's going to help me. You stay safe too, keep your head down and powder dry. :cool:

Prophet

imported post

As a former soldier to a current one let me give you this sincere warning though...watch out where you use the term double-tap. You get some panties in a bunch JAG-off who would rather hug a tree than fight a war and only joined in order to pay for his Berkeley Law degree overhearing you thats a war crime charge that can be placed against you.

My old sgt used to tell us...lovingly so...that it wasn't "double-tapping" but rather "controlled pairing". ;)

Doube tap = bad/war crime

controlled pair = good soldiering

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

yeah roger that, our NCO's drill that into our heads all the time. I was trying to be accommodating to those who were not familiar with the term "controlled pairs," but you are right, JAG will crawl up your ass if you use double tap in a sworn statement or in testimony. Even more so if you actually did cross the kill zone and come back to "finish them off". That's why you kill them the first time across :)

SIGguy229

imported post

Yeah...I had one CATM instructor tell me "there's no such thing as a double-tap.....they are controlled pairs"....then I told him once I pull the trigger, there is no more control...the bullet flies in a (relatively) straight line from my point of aim. The Weapons Training Bn at Quantico in 1997 had no problem with "double-tap"...so CATM could go bite me.

Prophet

imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
yeah roger that, our NCO's drill that into our heads all the time. I was trying to be accommodating to those who were not familiar with the term "controlled pairs," but you are right, JAG will crawl up your ass if you use double tap in a sworn statement or in testimony. Even more so if you actually did cross the kill zone and come back to "finish them off". That's why you kill them the first time across :)
Amen to that brother. Just makin sure they still got sgt's putting in the right wordin for ya. Hate to have some bad juju fall down on ya for some bullshit.