• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could it have been avoided?

scorpioajr

imported post

Am i the ONLY one that bets this "severe psychotic" would have thought twice if the couple were OCing? Not to mention the only thing that stopped this man from continuing the attack ended up being bullets.

Suspect in IHOP stabbing still hospitalized Daily Herald The suspect in a weekend stabbing outside the IHOP restaurant in Orem may be hospitalized for a week or more before he is charged and jailed.SClBAccording to Orem police, Spencer Cheshire, a 28-year-old Boise man, and his girlfriend were saying goodbye in the restaurant parking lot on University Parkway around 8 a.m. Saturday. Sergio Walter Weffer, 33, of Salt Lake City approached them, said "I'm sorry" and stabbed the man with a pair of scissors. Cheshire was stabbed numerous times in the face, neck and arm.
An off-duty police officer from Chicago, who was in Utah to instruct law enforcement, was standing outside the front door at the restaurant, according to police. He saw the assault and went to break it up. He didn't realize that Weffer had a weapon until he got closer. He drew his gun and ordered the man to drop the scissors. Instead, Weffer made another move to stab the victim. The officer shot Weffer. After the shot was fired, the victim got up and tried to get away, according to police. The officer told him and his girlfriend to wait because help was on the way. Weffer, who was not wounded seriously enough to keep him down, tried to get away. The officer caught him and waited for Orem police to arrive.
Orem police Lt. Doug Edwards said Weffer suffers from psychological problems, but he could not say whether Weffer offered a motive for attacking Cheshire. However, the suspect's car was found nearby with punctures in the side walls of two tires, presumably caused by Weffer.
"He appeared to be suffering from a severe psychotic episode," he said.
Weffer was taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo for treatment of a gunshot wound to the back. Cheshire was taken to Timpanogos Regional Hospital in Orem for multiple stitches and released, according to police.
"He's gone home to Boise," Edwards said.

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/280635/17/

swjr

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
An off-duty police officer from Chicago, who was in Utah to instruct law enforcement, was standing outside the front door at the restaurant, according to police. He saw the assault and went to break it up. He didn't realize that Weffer had a weapon until he got closer. He drew his gun and ordered the man to drop the scissors. Instead, Weffer made another move to stab the victim. The officer shot Weffer. After the shot was fired, the victim got up and tried to get away, according to police.

I'm sure that couple was happy that there was someone carrying, whether openly or concealed... it probably saved the man's life.

scorpioajr

imported post

the people that OC are usually more aware of their surroundings and are prepared to defend themselves and they would have seen Mr. Whackass a mile away.

Oh, wait, i didn't see the compliment from ThoughtPolice, Oops... Hehe..

Thats what I was going to counter-post. In fact, I challenge myself to remeber 'things' about the stores i was just at, when i get to the car or home, to see how just how aware i really was.