• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response for being asked to "cover up"?

tricityguy

imported post

I've been digging through back threads, reading a lot of encounter posts to get ideas on useful and appropriate responses. There seems to be a trend with store management asking people to "cover up" for various reasons.

Let me propose a response: "Concealing my firearm without a CWP would be illegal."

Sure, you probably have a permit (I do), but last I checked,

(a) It's perfectly legal to open carry without a permit;
(b) I don't think there are any laws against lying to a store manager.

Certainly, if you're dealing with LEO things are different, but we're talking retail store employees here. Putting it back on them - "What you're asking me to do is illegal" - is a possible solution.

Thoughts?

just_a_car

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
I've been digging through back threads, reading a lot of encounter posts to get ideas on useful and appropriate responses. There seems to be a trend with store management asking people to "cover up" for various reasons.

Let me propose a response: "Concealing my firearm without a CWP would be illegal."

(a) It's perfectly legal to open carry without a permit;
(b) I don't think there are any laws against lying to a store manager.

Certainly, if you're dealing with LEO things are different, but we're talking retail store employees here. Putting it back on them - "What you're asking me to do is illegal" - is a possible solution.

Thoughts?
Technically you're not lying. You're stating a fact about the law. You never said you didn't have a CPL (and it's CPL, not CWP... if the manager knows that and you say it wrong, they'll think you're just some punk).

BUT, you're better off just saying "I'd prefer not to, thanks." and if they ask you to leave if you don't, then ask for a written policy barring your ability to carry firearms there or, if they can't provide one, a phone number of their superior so that you can make a complaint. Then, leave and take your business elsewhere and once you're sure the business' policy is "no guns/weapons", then let me know here and they'll be DNP'd.

tricityguy

imported post

Must you? Why would you have to show a CWP to an officer when OCing? If one asked for mine, I'd show it, but I'd inform him that I am complying with his order under protest.

Now, if I'm in my vehicle at the time, that quite obviously changes things.

tricityguy

imported post

Technically you're not lying. You're stating a fact about the law.
Which is exactly why I worded it that way... :) But, now that it's been said, I prefer your method. "I'd prefer not to, thanks", and collect the relevant information if they ask me to leave. Seems more... gentlemanly... to me.

colt45ws

imported post

[sup]Why would you need to come clean to a police officer? If it isnt being carried in a manner that requires it, why would you have to come clean? You could just say you dont have it on you. Maybe you "forgot" it in your car, where you would need it. :p
[/sup]

just_a_car

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Technically you're not lying. You're stating a fact about the law.
Which is exactly why I worded it that way... :) But, now that it's been said, I prefer your method. "I'd prefer not to, thanks", and collect the relevant information if they ask me to leave. Seems more... gentlemanly... to me.
That's why I'm here... ;)

Carry on. :cool:

grishnav

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
You never said you didn't have a CPL (and it's CPL, not CWP... if the manager knows that and you say it wrong, they'll think you're just some punk).
If you wanna get all technical about it, it's an LTCCP. License to Carry Concealed Pistol.

Go ahead and look. I'll wait while you do.

:p

just_a_car

imported post

grishnav wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
You never said you didn't have a CPL (and it's CPL, not CWP... if the manager knows that and you say it wrong, they'll think you're just some punk).
If you wanna get all technical about it, it's an LTCCP. License to Carry Concealed Pistol.

Does it say that on the License? Yes.

Does it say that in the LAW? No:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

The law calls it a "Concealed Pistol License" throughout RCW 9.41.

grishnav

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
grishnav wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

Does it say that on the License? Yes.

Does it say that in the LAW? No:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

The law calls it a "Concealed Pistol License" throughout RCW 9.41.

It uses both, but it starts with mine:

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

:celebrate

Bear 45/70

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Must you? Why would you have to show a CWP to an officer when OCing? If one asked for mine, I'd show it, but I'd inform him that I am complying with his order under protest.

It's the law, if a cop asked you better show your CPL. There is no CWP, Concealed Weapons Permit in Washington. It is a CPL or CHL, a Concealed Pistol License or a Concealed Handgun License. It only covers handguns not any weapon.

[align=right][/align]
[/b](1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and.......

"shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so"......................

Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
tricityguy wrote:

It's the law, if a cop asked you better show your CPL. There is no CWP, Concealed Weapons Permit in Washington. It is a CPL or CHL, a Concealed Pistol License or a Concealed Handgun License. It only covers handguns not any weapon.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and.......

"shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so"......................

Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
If you are not required to have it in your possession by law then by law you are not required to show it.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
tricityguy wrote:

If you are not required to have it in your possession by law then by law you are not required to show it.
Well, of course not. But I don't know about you, but it is in my pocket always because with 4 different vehicles, keeping track of my permit fromthe cars to the trucks is just not gonna get it. Hell I have enough trouble keeping track of my handicap placard and it is at least twice as big.

Mainsail

imported post

tricityguy wrote:

There's no such thing as a permit in WA, it's a license. The license is to carry concealed. Correct any police officer that asks for a permit.

jchen012

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
There's no such thing as a permit in WA, it's a license. The license is to carry concealed. Correct any police officer that asks for a permit.

+1

Permits tend to be temporary. Like a learning permit for driving a car. After the period is over, you are granted a license.

As for a response, demand a corporate policy. And tell them that you will not be shopping there anymore and that you are going to let everyone know to that shop there.

tricityguy

imported post

Sorry for screwing the terminology up. Even my LPD calls it a CWP. I'll re-train my brain to say CPL instead. :)

scarlett1125

imported post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point here that you are OCing, which does not require a CPL? I have a CPL, but if I'm OCing, does the officer have any right to ask me for a CPL that is not required by law? And if I'm CCing properly (in other words, my weapon is not visible to the naked eye), then the officer shouldn't even know it's there because I'm not going to be pulling it out to show off.

I think Bear is right. If I'm OCing, I would probably give the officer my CPL but state that I was doing so under protest because the officer had no right to request it in the first place.