• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for some practical open carry tips

seattle_scott

imported post

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I finally purchased a holster for open carry and now I have questions before I actually go out and open carry. Does anyone have any tips, websites, youtube videos, etc on how to open carry? I've seen you guys mention strong side vs weak side, resting your elbow on the gun, and things like that. Do you want to keep your strong side or weak side towards someone that is questionable? Why one vs the other?

j2l3

imported post

Welcome to OCDO! You have excellent questions and I am sure you will get many pertinent answers.

As for leaning on the gun, that comes with time and comfort levels. Many people tend to lean on it for various reasons. Mostly it's a subconcious way to know it's still there without placing your hand on it or being to obvious.

Strong side/weak side. Always best to keep your strong side away from people you are concerned about. This keeps your body between them and your firearm and helps prevent problems. Keeping in moid that a gun grab attempt would be a rare occurance.

just_a_car

imported post

#1 Go up and read the Stickies and FAQ's we've taken the time to write... as a long time lurker, you will have probably seen them, but they'll answer a lot of questions. Other than that, it really just takes experience... but you don't have to do it alone; sometimes it's best to start by going to a monthly lunch/dinner meet and OC with other OC'ers to gain some confidence and ask some face-to-face questions.

seattle_scott

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
#1 Go up and read the Stickies and FAQ's we've taken the time to write... as a long time lurker, you will have probably seen them, but they'll answer a lot of questions. Other than that, it really just takes experience... but you don't have to do it alone; sometimes it's best to start by going to a monthly lunch/dinner meet and OC with other OC'ers to gain some confidence and ask some face-to-face questions.
I read the stickies and FAQs, they answer the legal sorts of questions. I my questions were about the actual carry, like this...

Where do on your person do you carry? What position have you found the most comfortable?

I just OC'd for the first time tonight and carried on my belt on the side. My jeans have a loop on the side right in line with the seam of the jeans. I put the holster on the belt in front of that loop. It was getting in my way every time I did something besides walking, tried to get into the car and banged it around, went to pick up milk and smacked my elbow on it, took off my seat belt and the belt was rubbing. Next time I will have to try either behind the beltloop or maybe on top of it, though that looks like a PITA to try and thread my belt around.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I carry my security six on the right hip with a snug fitting belt. It has a 6" barrel, so if I can comfortably OC that thing, you should be able to carry a smaller gun.

A good belt or suspenders is paramount.

Then a comfortable holster.

You may have to experiment. Otherwise you could end up running around with your pants halfway down your butt. Add some baggy jeans and you'll be set!:p

It takes a little getting used to the gun on your hip, all I can say is keep trying things until you are comfortable.

seattle_scott

imported post

Its a S&W M&P .40, not exactly small in a Serpa holster It is a nice snug fitting belt, no problems with it pulling the pants down. I just bumping things and the butt of the gun was jabbing me when I bent over to pick up the milk.

Another question; I've seen suggestions on the board to carry a voice recorder in case you get hassled. Anyone know the laws on recording devices in Washington? Can I record in public without notifying the other parties? I'd assume so but my search of the RCWs hasn't turned up anything useful.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

seattle_scott wrote:
My jeans have a loop on the side right in line with the seam of the jeans. I put the holster on the belt in front of that loop. It was getting in my way every time I did something besides walking, tried to get into the car and banged it around, went to pick up milk and smacked my elbow on it, took off my seat belt and the belt was rubbing.

Scott, it sounds like your holster was right at what we refer to as 3 o'clock. Think of yourself as standing over a clock face with the 12 straight ahead of you -- 3 o'clock is directly under your right arm, and right over that seam you mentioned.

Try moving your holster back to about 4 o'clock or even 4:30, as then it doesn't extend as far to the side of your body and is less likely to bump into things.

A lot is going to depend on the holster you chose. Some holsters draw the gun in tight to your body, and others don't. Some are "high ride" and others are mid-ride or low-ride. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I personally like a high-ride "pancake" holster at about 4:00, which is very close to my body and high enough that it is not in the way when I sit. The muzzle of my 3.5 inch 1911 is only 2" below my belt. The disadvantage of the high-ride holster is that it requires some extra "upward" movement of the arm and elbow when drawing.

It takes time to get used to carrying a gun, and it will bump into things. After awhile, you will unconsciously move in ways to move your gun away from obstacles.

Hope this helps.

Walker

imported post

If you want to carry your gun at the 3:00 oclock position, try a different brand of jeans/pants. Some have the loop at 3:00, others have the loops at 2:00 and 4:00. These are the ones that I buy.

Good luck........

Walker

FogRider

imported post

Walker wrote:
If you want to carry your gun at the 3:00 oclock position, try a different brand of jeans/pants. Some have the loop at 3:00, others have the loops at 2:00 and 4:00. These are the ones that I buy.

Good luck........

Walker
When I have a loop in the way (and I usually do), what I do is go through one loop on the holster, through the belt loop and back through the holster. It sounds a little inconvenient, but it's really not once you do it a few times.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Walker wrote:

Good luck........

Walker
I like the loop at 3 o'clock. I don't like paddles, so my belt goes thru rear holster loop, pants belt loop and then thru front holster loop. Much more secure than way. But then I don't do plastic holsters either. Plastic is for toys. Leather is for holsters.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
FogRider wrote:
*blinks* Whoa. What are the chances we'd say the exact same thing at the exact same time?
I wouldn't bet money on it happening again.:shock: I'm usually still in bed at this hour.:lol:
Well GET UP ALREADY! Ya old retired layabout...:p some of us are already up heading to work.:what:

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
FogRider wrote:
*blinks* Whoa. What are the chances we'd say the exact same thing at the exact same time?
I wouldn't bet money on it happening again.:shock: I'm usually still in bed at this hour.:lol:
Well GET UP ALREADY! Ya old retired layabout...:p some of us are already up heading to work.:what:
Work is for Greeners and tree huggers and those unable to find a way to get out of it. Work in and of itself is not a good thing.:lol:

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Walker wrote:

Good luck........

Walker
I like the loop at 3 o'clock. I don't like paddles, so my belt goes thru rear holster loop, pants belt loop and then thru front holster loop. Much more secure than way. But then I don't do plastic holsters either. Plastic is for toys. Leather is for holsters.

I find this way to carry works best for me also.

Sometimes I rest my elbow onmy gun to make sure it is still holstered and secure in the holster. Also sometimes Imake sure I have my clip/mag in the pistol, one time I forgot to place the clip/mag in my pistol HAHA, but I had a round in the pipe. XDmi just rub my finger on the top of the pistol and know if it is loaded or not :).

A good thing to do is notice if someone is trying to get a position on you out of your line of sight. Example: he stands to your right side, and then he moves to your back side out of sightthen you should adjust so that he can't get to your gun and you can keep an eye on him. Also I would say if you can, to CC a backup gun with you.

If I am in a store I make sure I make eye contact with everyone that walks torward me. I do not want to look like I am a lala land and they can get the jump on me. But I really do not worry at all about a gun grab.

When I walk I tend to keep my strong arm over my gun and swing my weak side. (but that is really natural to me when I OC)

Just go about your day as you should have a gun on you, and do not worry too much about people until they say something about it.For the most part no one will say a word

John Hardin

imported post

seattle_scott wrote:
Another question; I've seen suggestions on the board to carry a voice recorder in case you get hassled. Anyone know the laws on recording devices in Washington? Can I record in public without notifying the other parties? I'd assume so but my search of the RCWs hasn't turned up anything useful.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.73.030

Note only private conversations are protected. If you're recording out on the street, you could make an argument that the participants have no expectation of privacy and consent is not required. I don't know how well that would work...

As far as recording a conversation with a LEO in the course of his performing his job, you're covered. There is no expectation of privacy in that conversation, and no requirement for notification or turning off the recorder on request.