• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[Rumor]NPS Rule due around OCT 8th

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I haven't seen anything hard but this post from VCDLs Sentinel Blog and Snowflakes in Hell Blog suggesting that we should see the new rule around Oct. 8th. We shall see.

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2008/09/11/legislative-policy-committee/
I had the opportunity to attend both The Legislative Policy Committee, and also the Hunting And Wildlife Policy Committee, which I’ll talk about later. All the NRA committee meetings are starting out this year with a disclaimed about the Biparisan Campaign Finance Reform Act, and asked if anyone was working as an employee of a volunteer for a campaign for federal office. Committee members or attendees who raised there hands were asked to recuse themselves from the proceedings as to avoid any charge of “coordination”.
After that Chris Cox went into his address. Although Norton’s bill has been voted out of committee, if the House leadership lives up to their end of the bargain, it will be HR6691 that ends up getting passed. Once out of The House, it will be an uphill battle to get the Senate to pass the bill before the end of their session, but NRA intends to try.
The next big issue is the National Park rule change to allow carrying of firearms for self-defense. We were told that the new rule could be expected on or around October 8th. Cool.
http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/258-National-Parks-Rule-Imminent.html

Gun Blogger Sebastian of Snowflakes in Hell is attending the NRA Board of Directors Meeting and just reported news from the Legislative Committee Meeting.
The word is that the the new National Parks rule will be out around October 8th. In comments to the post, a DC attorney, lobbyist, and fellow gun blogger, Countertop, agrees with that assessement.
Based on the latest VCDL alert regarding the movement of the Senate bill, we are about to see some action on this front.

Tomahawk

imported post

Absolutely. Best time of the year for hiking and camping, IMO.

But I'll believe it when I see it. My suspicious inner self is telling me the NPS will at the least give us a new ruling we won't find satisfactory, and at worst will just blow off all the public comments. I can't bring myself to believe they won't at least attach lots of strings to any liberalized carry options.

longwatch

imported post

Anybody think this might be an October surprise to put gun issues in play for the election?

Tomahawk

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Anybody think this might be an October surprise to put gun issues in play for the election?

How would that play out, I wonder?

Being anti-gun tends to be an election-loser these days. Assuming the NPS allows carry, which candidate would that benefit? What if it does not?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I would in some ways like to think that they are that clever and on top of things, but I doubt that the administration has that much control at this point over the career types at the NPS who will make this decision and if they tried to exert that type of control you know it would be all over the media.

longwatch

imported post

Good points, perhaps this is just coincidence. However, I expect a positive rule change will get some press, and the candidates may get asked about it, so might be a blip, might shift the balance a bit.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Good points, perhaps this is just coincidence. However, I expect a positive rule change will get some press, and the candidates may get asked about it, so might be a blip, might shift the balance a bit.
I do not question your conclusion that it may have an effect or make firearms/carry a topical issue in the closing weeks of the campaign. I only doubt the timing being intentional. I am very prepared to accept that I am absolutely wrong.