Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: if we really have had the right......

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    If we really have that RIGHT to keep and bear arms, would 9/11 have ever happened? would you carry on a airplane?

  2. #2
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    Timmer wrote:
    If we really have that RIGHT to keep and bear arms, would 9/11 have ever happened? would you carry on a airplane?
    1) No

    2) Yes

    ETA: I guess 9-11 could've still happened, but the terrorists more than likely would not have hijacked a domestic flight, but rather an international flight. Reason being handguns are either prohibited or heavily restricted in pretty much ever country so the odds of anybody being armed would be slim to none.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Oof. Good question.

    9/11 may still have been attempted, due to our "right to meddle in the affairs of other countries" problem, but the people may have been able to reduce the severity of the attacks. Just like how mass shootings may still be attempted in an armed society, but would end up with a body count of 1 or 2 instead of 20 or 30.

    ETA: I don't know if I would carry on a plane, because that would necessitate flying on a plane. But yes, I would carry on a plane if I ever got the motivation to deal with the BS associated with flying.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    Worst case scenario, the planes go down in a hail of bullets, most likely in less or unpopulated areas like Shanksville PA. You know, the place where people fought back and forced it down instead of hitting another target. So that's a better fatethan 75% of the planes hijacked that day.

    I would carry on a plane and (thanks to Mythbusters) knowing that explosive decompression doesn't work from a bullet hole I would take my chances with a shootout rather than just sit there waiting to die.

    I think that's a problem with our society as a whole...we are too willing to just go along to get along. If someone tries to mug you we are told to let em, if someone robs your house we are told to run away, if your plane is taken over by terrorists just do as they say and don't upset them...I mean whiskey tango foxtrot?!?!

    Since when did our frontiersmen, self sufficient, pull yourself up by your own bootstraps mentality get gelded from our American identity so that we must sit helplessly like sheep, hoping for the best?

    I refuse to be a victim. I wouldn't tell a woman who was being raped to just lie back and take it because the rapist doesn't really want to hurt you...nor will I accept the same drivel from some asinine politically correct dumbass telling me that I should just do as I'm told because the mugger/robber/terrorist doesn't really want to hurt me.

    From my cold dead hands if necessary...but not without first fighting for my tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Yes, and yes. Would it have gone down differently? Probably. Would it have been better or worse? Who knows. The remember, the hijackers would have been armed as well, possibly with bigger and better weapons. It's all open to speculation, the only thing close to a definite is that it would have been different. But, it would still have happened. I don't believe there is any question about that.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    Timmer wrote:
    If we really have that RIGHT to keep and bear arms, would 9/11 have ever happened? would you carry on a airplane?

    At this point in my life, absolutely I would carry on an airplane if allowed by law. I see no logical reason to ban firearms on airplanes.

    I can count the number of times I've flown on a commercial airplane this decade on one finger, but that was before I opened my eyes and saw the need to carry.

    If it's good enough for the Air Marshals and Pilots, why isn't it good enough for the passengers, especially with a CHL?

    ...Orygunner...

  7. #7
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713

    Post imported post

    If someone was carrying on the plane it may have made a difference. If I was allowed to do so I would carry on planes.

    But just because there is the right doesn't mean that someone on board will be exercising it. (In addition to allowing passengers to carry, maybe the airlines should arm all of the pilots and stewards!)

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    The first question is pointless because the speculation is completely off-the-wall. Yes, I would carry on planes if allowed to and if someone dragged me onto the plane (I have no desire to fly again).

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    491

    Post imported post

    My statement yesterday was factual wrong and I didn't even geta flag thrown!

    http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/HalbrookAirSecurity.html

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    Prophet wrote:
    Worst case scenario, the planes go down in a hail of bullets, most likely in less or unpopulated areas like Shanksville PA. You know, the place where people fought back and forced it down instead of hitting another target. So that's a better fatethan 75% of the planes hijacked that day.

    I would carry on a plane and (thanks to Mythbusters) knowing that explosive decompression doesn't work from a bullet hole I would take my chances with a shootout rather than just sit there waiting to die.

    I think that's a problem with our society as a whole...we are too willing to just go along to get along. If someone tries to mug you we are told to let em, if someone robs your house we are told to run away, if your plane is taken over by terrorists just do as they say and don't upset them...I mean whiskey tango foxtrot?!?!

    Since when did our frontiersmen, self sufficient, pull yourself up by your own bootstraps mentality get gelded from our American identity so that we must sit helplessly like sheep, hoping for the best?
    Exactly my thoughts....

    I still think thatwith numbers & makeshift weapons/shields againstonly boxcutters/razors/shanks, the passengers of all three other planes would've been able to take back control from the terrorists.... While sustaining possibly just severe cuts/stabs and maybe a few dead; but fatalities would've been unlikely, as the hijackers had lost their element of surprise.

    But withthe sheep mentality being beaten into us for years & the hijacker'sviolence & lies, I was surprised that even one plane wasretaken by the passengers. I for one wouldn't have dreamed of sitting there and accepting whatever fate had in store.... and that's withouta prior precedentof hijackers crashing planes into buildings. Hijackers previouslystillhad the tendency to execute passengers, and I couldn't have just waited for my turn, or someone elses. Even ifit meant being stabbed/sliced, and possiblykilled, I've always felt that potentially sacrificing one's life that others may live is a basic duty. Or maybe it was just the pervasive selfishness of modern Americans that caused them to not rise up and fight.... without ahard-charger like Todd Beamer on Flight-93to snap them out ofa frightened surrender,I can see peopleunwilling to step up and maybe gethurt.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    460

    Post imported post

    I would absolutely carry on a plane, and I fly twice a week. I also think it would be ok if airlines offered both gun and no-gun flights, so that on no-gun flights, you couldn't carry a firearm. That way I'd be assured that if there WERE a terrorist attack on a plane, it wouldn't be on MY plane

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Slayer of Paper wrote:
    I would absolutely carry on a plane, and I fly twice a week. I also think it would be ok if airlines offered both gun and no-gun flights, so that on no-gun flights, you couldn't carry a firearm. That way I'd be assured that if there WERE a terrorist attack on a plane, it wouldn't be on MY plane
    QFT

    But, but, but, more guns equals more violence... right? Criminals prefer armed victims, because they enjoy a fair fight!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    143

    Post imported post

    You bet I'd carry on a plain! The powers that be, have not realized true evil will always win until every individual is "free"TO PROTECT THEMSELVES! Which, in turn protects, others around them who haven't got the B**ls to protect themselves! Them folks who went down in the Pa. field are heroes. Just think that plain might have made it home if not for these STUPID regulations we have emplaced. Every free person should be armed, If they got the guts. Where was the Government to protect them properly? It wasn't there! Where are the cops when needed? Not there! These IDIOTS will never get it unless it's forced down there throats! My cold dead fist!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    143

    Post imported post

    Prophet wrote:
    Worst case scenario, the planes go down in a hail of bullets, most likely in less or unpopulated areas like Shanksville PA. You know, the place where people fought back and forced it down instead of hitting another target. So that's a better fatethan 75% of the planes hijacked that day.

    I would carry on a plane and (thanks to Mythbusters) knowing that explosive decompression doesn't work from a bullet hole I would take my chances with a shootout rather than just sit there waiting to die.

    I think that's a problem with our society as a whole...we are too willing to just go along to get along. If someone tries to mug you we are told to let em, if someone robs your house we are told to run away, if your plane is taken over by terrorists just do as they say and don't upset them...I mean whiskey tango foxtrot?!?!

    Since when did our frontiersmen, self sufficient, pull yourself up by your own bootstraps mentality get gelded from our American identity so that we must sit helplessly like sheep, hoping for the best?

    I refuse to be a victim. I wouldn't tell a woman who was being raped to just lie back and take it because the rapist doesn't really want to hurt you...nor will I accept the same drivel from some asinine politically correct dumbass telling me that I should just do as I'm told because the mugger/robber/terrorist doesn't really want to hurt me.

    From my cold dead hands if necessary...but not without first fighting for my tomorrow.
    Well said! Remember, make good dependants, which makes government needed, WHICH MAKES A GOOD SOCIALIST SOCIETY, which makes good government. My A**! From my cold dead fist!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    murphy2 wrote:
    You bet I'd carry on a plain! The powers that be, have not realized true evil will always win until every individual is "free"TO PROTECT THEMSELVES! Which, in turn protects, others around them who haven't got the B**ls to protect themselves! Them folks who went down in the Pa. field are heroes. Just think that plain might have made it home if not for these STUPID regulations we have emplaced. Every free person should be armed, If they got the guts. Where was the Government to protect them properly? It wasn't there! Where are the cops when needed? Not there! These IDIOTS will never get it unless it's forced down there throats! My cold dead fist!
    Even if they were there, they have no duty to protect : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_of...ck_v._Gonzales

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Air Marshalls= too little too late. when we flew on the Airforce cargo pigs, One member of the Crew was armed with a key to the lock box Pistol and ammo, supposedly no one else on the crew knew who was the key carrier.. It's pretty sad to know that we were putting cameras up to photograph Mars, but didn't have the common sense to see the possibilities of a potential 911. I fly from time to time, and would carry if allowed

  17. #17
    Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    592

    Post imported post

    Yes, I'd carry on a plane.

    Yes, I'd carry on a train.

    Yes, I'd carry here or there.

    Yes, I'd carry everywhere.



    Yes, I have a 4 year old and there is a lot of Dr. Seuss going on around here.:celebrate

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Walton County, Georgia, ,
    Posts
    475

    Post imported post

    9/11 would still have happened. The terrorists don't care if we're armed or not. They prefer us to be disarmed but they're going to attack us regardless of whether we have firearms or not.

    I would carry on a plane if it was legal. I refuse to fly unless absolutely necessary. It isn't just that I can't carry a firearm on my person that makes me not like flying. It's the fact that I have to bend over backwards to the TSA to be allowed onto a plane. They get to look through my bags, I have to take off my shoes and my jacket, I can't bring a normal sized bottle of shampoo, and I can't bring a bottle of water.

    I'd rather spend an extra 14 hours driving than be treated like I'm a criminal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •