• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HBO Series Treu Bloos - Main character open carries everywhere

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

The second episode of the new HBO series Tru Blood was on last night. The main characters younger brother open carries everywhere he goes throughout the first and second episode, 100% of the time.

He is a portrayed as a good ole boy Louisiana redneck, but he's one of the good guys (albeit immature). They don't talk about his gun or make a big deal out of it - he just happens to open carry. When he sits down at the dinner table, he does make an exaggerated effort to glance at his gun so he can sit "properly", which is kind of stupid when you watch it. The series is great so far, though!

If we had an "open carry in entertainment or pop culture" category, I would have posted this there. Anyone else noticed this?

like_the_roman

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
He is a portrayed as a good ole boy Louisiana redneck, but he's one of the good guys (albeit immature). They don't talk about his gun or make a big deal out of it - he just happens to open carry. When he sits down at the dinner table, he does make an exaggerated effort to glance at his gun so he can sit "properly", which is kind of stupid when you watch it. The series is great so far, though!

I haven't seen the series but I will admit I do this sometimes when I sit down. I haven't open carried enough to be comfortable with my XD yet so occasionally have to look down at it to make sure I'm not going to get the holster caught under the armrests.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

hsmith wrote:
May be better in "General" since it isn't VA related.

Is it a good series?
There have only been two episodes so far, but I am definitely intrigued. Some of it is hokey, but the premise is interesting and I do like that the open carrier just "happens" to open carry every single time you see him (except when he is... ahem... having sex). This has not been mentioned yet, it is just something everyone accepts (including his grandmother and the local cops). He is one of the main characters....

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Could be good or bad depending where they take the character. It's amazing how powerful the effect of mass entertainment on people. Hell, if the show gets popular enough OC might become the next sweeping fad.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You think so? I bet the people watching it don't even notice or care. Anti's seem to block out things they don't agree with.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Theseus wrote:
You think so? I bet the people watching it don't even notice or care. Anti's seem to block out things they don't agree with.

Ugg boots are completely disgusting and iPhones suck, but it never stopped the fads from catching on. Sheeple have no common sense or logic, they're just parrots mimicking what they see. I was exaggerating when I said it would become a fad (the effort to buy and general lack of knowledge about firearms would prevent that), but if a popular enough charatcer did it (House, for example), the general public reaction to someone OC'ing would go from: "omg! a criminal!" to, "he's carrying a gun just like House does!"

nova

imported post

What kind of gun does he OC? I didn't see the show.

Ruiner

imported post

He doesn't open carry. I watched the first two episodes, and it's just tools / flashlight or something from what I remember. Just two little pouches on his side, no pistol.

Dustin

imported post

Ruiner wrote:
He doesn't open carry. I watched the first two episodes, and it's just tools / flashlight or something from what I remember. Just two little pouches on his side, no pistol.

Are you serious ?

This topic and all this talk for a tool belt ?

That's a little difficult to mistake Tools for a PISTOL :banghead: