Thread: Good Range in Richmond

Post imported post

Hey folks. Ii'm looking for a range where i can shoot a pistol outside in richmond. I've been to the standard indoor range, but holes in paper is only so good. I need to find a good spot to hit reactive targets. Help.

Post imported post

There are a number of outdoor ranges in the Richmond metro area (Google is your friend using "shooting range richmond va"), but I do not know of any that have/permit reactive targets. Outside of IDPA/practical shooting matches it is getting more and more diffilcult to be "allowed" to shoot from the draw.

If you run across any places where there are reactive targets and/or allow shooting from the draw outside of sanctioned matche, please post the information.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

There isn't a good range in Richmond.

Post imported post

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Not too long ago I heard about an outdoorrange / club on the east side of Richmond. Cold Harbor area? Anybody know anything about it?

Post imported post

glockfan wrote:
    If you build it. They will come.

Its true. There is no place to shoot and practice the craft. I'd send you down to the Ft. Lee range, but you'd just be punching holes in paper out doors.... slowly.

There used to be a guy that advertised in the "Rifles & Guns" section of the local trading post that you could "Pistol practice on my farm" for a few bucks. Unfortunately, I never called him, and the ad no longer runs.

Consider finding a hunting club to join that has year round access to the property. Many times the club will have a place to pistol practice, sight in a rifle, etc. You may have to bring your own steel.

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. Not too long ago I heard about an outdoorrange / club on the east side of Richmond. Cold Harbor area? Anybody know anything about it?

Armed, I think you might be refering to Black Creek Shooting Club?? If it's not that then I don't know, I'm still new down here.

I don't know what you consider "good", it seems a little run down to me. The club I belonged to in Massachusetts was excellant. They would dump the dues back into the club to enhance it.

Post imported post

It seems inconceivable that there is nowhere to get out in the fresh air and shoot at some steel??? Does anyone know of anything within an hours drive of Richmond?

I've looked around for a hunting club, but don't see anything. I was thinking about asking at Gander Mtn or at Green Top.

Post imported post

I kinda have a place. But I think the unfortunate part is that the owners of the land are currently building a house on the property. There's still plenty of room there, and my friend (the owner's son) loves to shoot, so I think I'd still be able to get out and set something up. Unfortunately for all of you, I doubt he'd like a bunch of folks he doesn't know.

So basically I'm rubbing it in.:P

Besides, hunting season is only 16 days away. Definitely won't be any gun shooting going on until at least Nov. 1.

Post imported post

Conservation Park, 20 miles outside of Richmond towards VaBch. It's private though, expensive to join, but a great place.

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    glockfan wrote:
    If you build it. They will come.

Its true. There is no place to shoot and practice the craft. I'd send you down to the Ft. Lee range, but you'd just be punching holes in paper out doors.... slowly.

There used to be a guy that advertised in the "Rifles & Guns" section of the local trading post that you could "Pistol practice on my farm" for a few bucks. Unfortunately, I never called him, and the ad no longer runs.

Consider finding a hunting club to join that has year round access to the property. Many times the club will have a place to pistol practice, sight in a rifle, etc. You may have to bring your own steel.

They allowing high-powered rifles at the Ft. Lee range yet, doug? I haven't got the chance to shoot my new AR yet, and I've had it for months... :X

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    They allowing high-powered rifles at the Ft. Lee range yet, doug? I haven't got the chance to shoot my new AR yet, and I've had it for months... :X

Don't know. Haven't been back.

As I mentioned before Ft. Lee is a "cold range". The range is "hot" for 10 minutes then "cold" for 5. During "cold" you cannot handle a firearm. It has to be on the table, action open.

What really used to stink was when someone was shooting a high powered rifle and everybody had to wait while he walked the 300 yards down to set a target and 300 yards back.

The conservation place that was mentioned looks nice.

http://www.conservationparkva.com/ No hunting here. (yall probably figured that from the word "conservation" in their name. )

Join up fee is $250. Annual dues $200.

Post imported post

Infidel wrote:
    Armed wrote:

Armed, I think you might be refering to Black Creek Shooting Club?? If it's not that then I don't know, I'm still new down here.
    Yep - that's the one. They're not a 'rifle only' kinda place, are they?

Post imported post

No, the have a pistol range, shotgun, rifle and a skeet range. Some of the ranges are covered. If your interested we could get together some weekend and head over there. I'm a member there, though I haven't shot there much. Let me know.

Post imported post

Infidel wrote:
    No, the have a pistol range, shotgun, rifle and a skeet range. Some of the ranges are covered. If your interested we could get together some weekend and head over there. I'm a member there, though I haven't shot there much. Let me know.
    Would love to. Are they open during the week? My fall training cycle is in full-swing right now so my weekends are pretty booked. The last weekend in Sept might be a possibility for me though...

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    Infidel wrote:
    Would love to. Are they open during the week? My fall training cycle is in full-swing right now so my weekends are pretty booked. The last weekend in Sept might be a possibility for me though...
    I'm also a member at Black Creek. PM me if you are interested in a weekday trip out there. I can always rearrange my schedule of being retired for a range trip.

You will need to set up an "appoinment" with the gentleman who runs the place so you can take the "safety tour" - mandatory for members & guests on first trip out there. It takes between 10 & 15 minutes depending on how slow his dog walks.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

I may be interested in hooking up with you guys. I'm in desperate need to get my ML sighted in. Only have 6 weeks left to do this, and with my current schedule it may take the whole 6 weeks if I don't just take an afternoon off to go.

Still have my membership, but I think I've only had time to get out there once this year. Used to shoot the IDPA (poorly, but I did participate) matches out there. Pretty good group of guys in that.

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Armed wrote:
    Infidel wrote:
    I'm also a member at Black Creek. PM me if you are interested in a weekday trip out there. I can always rearrange my schedule of being retired for a range trip.

You will need to set up an "appoinment" with the gentleman who runs the place so you can take the "safety tour" - mandatory for members & guests on first trip out there. It takes between 10 & 15 minutes depending on how slow his dog walks.

stay safe.

skidmark
    This Sunday afternoon is good for me if you guys are up to it, have military duty on Saturday (can't make breakfast Skid). Your welcome to join in sitedzn

Post imported post

Air wrote:
    Conservation Park, 20 miles outside of Richmond towards VaBch. It's private though, expensive to join, but a great place.
    Does anyone know what the membership application procedure is for this place. At a lot of this types, you need a sponsor to get in, so it's a big catch 22.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I may have found a place locally, stand by....
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I hear the theme song for Jeopardy

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    I hear the theme song for Jeopardy
    misfire, redirect
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/