Thread: OC in a library

Post imported post

I've not had internet since Gustav. Cox cable was in my neighborhood yesterday but didn't hook my cable even though we had a confirmed appointment. Seems the dogs my neighbor keeps in his backyard scared the cable guy. So as I argue with the customer service reps and play phone tag with thier system I'm still forced to rely on the computers in local libraries. I've been conceal carrying in the libraries so far. Right now I'm at the Blue Bonnett branch and have my Bersa .380 in a holster on my hip and my shirt untucked over it.

So my question is this....

Has anyone OCed in EBR libraries and what are the policies? Have you had any problems?

I see signs about silencing cellphones and no outside food or drink but no signs about firearms.

President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Rules Of Behavior For Patrons
    [line]

The East Baton Rouge Parish Library is a public agency supported by the taxes of the citizens of the parish, and they have the right to expect an atmosphere conducive to study, reading, and the legitimate use of library materials and services. To foster such an environment, patrons must act in a considerate and appropriate manner.

Any behavior that disrupts the orderly use of the library or that affects the staff’s ability to provide service is strictly prohibited. Disruptive behavior is defined as any loud, boisterous, or profane behavior which is inappropriate in an institution established to promote quiet study and the use of library materials.

The following rules have been adopted by the East Baton Rouge Parish Library Board of Control. Library supervisors and staff have been authorized to enforce these regulations and to require patrons who do not comply to leave the library premises.

1. No guns, knives, or other weapons are permitted on library premises.
    2. Eating and drinking are not permitted in library facilities unless part of a planned reception or for meeting room use.
    3. Cell phones can be used only in designated areas of the building.
    4. Smoking is not permitted in libraries, in library restrooms, or within 25 feet of a library entrance. Smoking is prohibited within Independence Park.
    5. The use of chewing tobacco or snuff is not permitted in library facilities.
    6. Loud, abusive, or vulgar language that is disturbing to patrons and staff will not be tolerated.
    7. Physical, verbal, or sexual harassment of library patrons or staff will not be tolerated.
    8. Thievery, vandalism, and fighting will be reported to the police.
    9. Soliciting, panhandling, and proselytizing will not be permitted.
    10. Persons appearing to be intoxicated or on drugs will be required to leave.
    11. Exhibitionism (indecent exposure) and voyeurism (peeping) will be reported to the police.
    12. Moving furniture, sitting on tables, carrels or bookstacks, and putting feet on furniture are not permitted.
    13. Bathing, shaving, and washing clothes are not permitted in library restrooms.
    14. Running, exercising, and lying on the floor are not permitted.
    15. Gambling is not permitted in library facilities.
    16. Only four people are allowed at each table, and excessive socializing is not permitted.
    17. Seating at each study carrel is limited to one person.
    18. Shoes and shirts must be worn in all library facilities.
    19. Electronic devices can only be used with earphones at a volume level that cannot be heard by other patrons and staff.

In order to provide safety for patrons and staff and to protect the library, the following items are not to be brought into library facilities:

1. Weapons of any kind.
    2. Bedrolls or blankets, plastic trash bags, shopping carts, and large boxes.
    3. Snakes, birds, or other animals (except service animals) unless part of a special program.
    4. Alcoholic beverages or drugs.
    5. Food or drink unless part of a planned activity.
    6. Skateboards, skates, scooters, and bicycles.

Violation of these rules may result in the suspension of library privileges.

This policy

Post imported post

I'm not sure of the preemption status that Louisiana has but if its pretty good, and the public library is a public building, they shouldn't even be allowed to ask you to leave. It would be akin to asking a person to leave because he was black or had a Support Nader shirt on.

Now, as Mark states, they may take away your library card...but I really doubt they are legally allowed to ask you to leave.

Post imported post

La preemption law allows for local regulation of government buildings.

:X

Post imported post

Just a reminder, there are links to the online Municode libraries of local laws on the LACarry law page: http://louisianacarry.org/laws/index.htm

EBR parish is here: http://www.municode.com/resources/Cl...8&cid=1173

I do not see anything about libraries after performing a cursory search, but that is no guarantee that there is not a city/local ordinance still out there that did not show up in the search. There probably isn't a law against it, though. Couldpossibly get you for trespassing if they really wanted to, if they can prove youhad notice or you refused to leave.

Post imported post

Well, I guess I'll just continue to conceal carry in those places.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Bill, all that says is they have REGULATIONS, not any reference to any LAW. The worst they can do is revoke your library card. Many, many years ago, a deputy was dispatched to the Goodwood library, seems some high school ROTC student brought his rifle inside to show to his girlfriend. As the deputy so accurately stated, "I can't arrest him, there's no LAW saying he can't bring a rifle into the library."
    Mark I know it just found the info on the EBR library website. The last couple of times I was at the Pride and Zachary branch they had a deputy working extra duty there.

Post imported post

Prophet wrote:
    I'm not sure of the preemption status that Louisiana has but if its pretty good, and the public library is a public building, they shouldn't even be allowed to ask you to leave. It would be akin to asking a person to leave because he was black or had a Support Nader shirt on.

Now, as Mark states, they may take away your library card...but I really doubt they are legally allowed to ask you to leave.
    This is correct. The law says that you can not CC in a government building. As long as the library the library of congress, and if they do not have a sign displaying "no firearms allowed" then you have a good debate, according to the law. Unless a library is a government building, then logically thinking you should be able to CC in a library. Just my .02 worth.

Post imported post

italianboy wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

This is correct. The law says that you can not CC in a government building. As long as the library the library of congress, and if they do not have a sign displaying "no firearms allowed" then you have a good debate, according to the law. Unless a library is a government building, then logically thinking you should be able to CC in a library. Just my .02 worth.
    Incorrect.

Certain government buildings are enumerated, but there is no blanket prohibition such as you described.

Post imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
    italianboy wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

Incorrect.

Certain government buildings are enumerated, but there is no blanket prohibition such as you described.
    Hey La Conceiled could you explain a bit more in detail on this? I'd like to know more about this and your take on it!
    Thanks!

Post imported post

On this page: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum26/14278-1.html

I detailed the prohibitions on where you cannot carry with a RS 40:1379.3 permit. I also noted applicable state law regarding open carry. That should shed some light on the subject.