Rules Of Behavior For Patrons
The East Baton Rouge Parish Library is a public agency supported by the taxes of the citizens of the parish, and they have the right to expect an atmosphere conducive to study, reading, and the legitimate use of library materials and services. To foster such an environment, patrons must act in a considerate and appropriate manner.
Any behavior that disrupts the orderly use of the library or that affects the staff’s ability to provide service is strictly prohibited. Disruptive behavior is defined as any loud, boisterous, or profane behavior which is inappropriate in an institution established to promote quiet study and the use of library materials.
The following rules have been adopted by the East Baton Rouge Parish Library Board of Control. Library supervisors and staff have been authorized to enforce these regulations and to require patrons who do not comply to leave the library premises.
- No guns, knives, or other weapons are permitted on library premises.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted in library facilities unless part of a planned reception or for meeting room use.
- Cell phones can be used only in designated areas of the building.
- Smoking is not permitted in libraries, in library restrooms, or within 25 feet of a library entrance. Smoking is prohibited within Independence Park.
- The use of chewing tobacco or snuff is not permitted in library facilities.
- Loud, abusive, or vulgar language that is disturbing to patrons and staff will not be tolerated.
- Physical, verbal, or sexual harassment of library patrons or staff will not be tolerated.
- Thievery, vandalism, and fighting will be reported to the police.
- Soliciting, panhandling, and proselytizing will not be permitted.
- Persons appearing to be intoxicated or on drugs will be required to leave.
- Exhibitionism (indecent exposure) and voyeurism (peeping) will be reported to the police.
- Moving furniture, sitting on tables, carrels or bookstacks, and putting feet on furniture are not permitted.
- Bathing, shaving, and washing clothes are not permitted in library restrooms.
- Running, exercising, and lying on the floor are not permitted.
- Gambling is not permitted in library facilities.
- Only four people are allowed at each table, and excessive socializing is not permitted.
- Seating at each study carrel is limited to one person.
- Shoes and shirts must be worn in all library facilities.
- Electronic devices can only be used with earphones at a volume level that cannot be heard by other patrons and staff.
In order to provide safety for patrons and staff and to protect the library, the following items are not to be brought into library facilities:
- Weapons of any kind.
- Bedrolls or blankets, plastic trash bags, shopping carts, and large boxes.
- Snakes, birds, or other animals (except service animals) unless part of a special program.
- Alcoholic beverages or drugs.
- Food or drink unless part of a planned activity.
- Skateboards, skates, scooters, and bicycles.
Violation of these rules may result in the suspension of library privileges.