• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield XD laser experience?

tricityguy

imported post

Folks,

I carry a Springfield XD 9mm, 5" tactical, and I'm adding a laser sight. Looking for anyone who can tell me more about the Crimson Trace grip vs. LaserMax internal laser. I like the LaserMax better due to the internal design, but I'm not familiar with the product. I love the Crimson Trace on my Beretta.

Also, need advice on a holster. Does the Serpa XD holster work with either of the above lasers? Is this a good holster all around, or is there something better? What do other Springfield XD owners use and why?

Thanks in advice!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Folks,

I carry a Springfield XD 9mm, 5" tactical, and I'm adding a laser sight. Looking for anyone who can tell me more about the Crimson Trace grip vs. LaserMax internal laser. I like the LaserMax better due to the internal design, but I'm not familiar with the product. I love the Crimson Trace on my Beretta.

Also, need advice on a holster. Does the Serpa XD holster work with either of the above lasers? Is this a good holster all around, or is there something better? What do other Springfield XD owners use and why?

Thanks in advice!
I'm not familar with CT, but I'm awarethat LaserMax being an internal design would have no effect on using SERPA holsters. However, the SERPA's are designed to fit the 4" Service Models, but it will work for the 5" tacticalalso. The only difference is that the 5"slides will protrude below the holster about 3/4" (IIRC). This applys to both the Carbon Fiber and Matt finishes.

tricityguy

imported post

Thanks for the responses. I did some more searching, and it appears the LaserMax doesn't fit in the Serpa holster - I assume because the on/off switch protrudes, but can't say for certain. It was posted as a comment on a site that sells the holster. No idea how legit it is...

Anyway, Crimson Trace does make a laser grip for the XD. I went ahead and bought one. Found another forum where someone said it does fit with the Serpa holster... so we'll see.

neddis

imported post

They make laser grips for most models of Springfield XDs, but I am sad that Crimson Trace doesnt' make a laser grip for the new XD .45 with the thumb safety on it. :( I just bought one and would LOVE at CT grip... The one for the regular XD .45 won't fit.

tricityguy

imported post

FYI, my holster and laser grip arrived today. No problems whatsoever... fits just fine. The upper-right plastic edge on the Serpa does bend out somewhat when you holster the firearm, due to the laser diode being in the same spot, but it's a non-issue. I need to press down on the back of the gun slightly to get the retention lock to click in - it's not quite as automatic as it is without the CT grip, due to the extra pressure on that upper-right edge of the holster - but it works just fine. No need to modify the holster or anything.

Also, not that I need to say so here, but I love the Serpa holster. Very nice.