Thread: Gift Recommendations for deploying airman?

Post imported post

Howdy. I've been lurking and learning here for a while. I haven't made the open carry leap yet, but that's not where I'm going with this post.My brother in law is a USAF officer, and will be deploying to Afghanistan with an Army unit.I've been out of the USAF for 17 years and have lost touch with what is currently issued. I'd like to get my BIL a useful gift to take along, and hopefully one that he will find useful. He's already been to the tactical store on base, and already has an iPod. Any recommendations from those who have been there recently?

My first inclination is an auto knife, but thanks to our state laws I can't do that legally. Second thoughts would be M9 laser grips. Also, somewhere I remember someone posting about a run oftanker holsters for deploying folks. Anyinfo on thiswould be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Post imported post

Get him a bunch of deoderant sticks! Sounds funny, but my church sends off care packages to the troops and it seems those Speed Sticks are all the rage!

Opt-Out Members
    Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA

Post imported post

The one Iraq vet I know said toilet paper is scarce over there.

Post imported post

A top quality SOG multi-tool and sheath.....I havn't been without one for decades and I use it about every day.

Post imported post

RonnyB wrote:
    Howdy. I've been lurking and learning here for a while. I haven't made the open carry leap yet, but that's not where I'm going with this post.My brother in law is a USAF officer, and will be deploying to Afghanistan with an Army unit.I've been out of the USAF for 17 years and have lost touch with what is currently issued. I'd like to get my BIL a useful gift to take along, and hopefully one that he will find useful. He's already been to the tactical store on base, and already has an iPod. Any recommendations from those who have been there recently?

My first inclination is an auto knife, but thanks to our state laws I can't do that legally. Second thoughts would be M9 laser grips. Also, somewhere I remember someone posting about a run oftanker holsters for deploying folks. Anyinfo on thiswould be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
    Is he a Forward Air Controller?

Post imported post

Thanks for the suggestions! The multi-tool is a habit I've gotten out of, as I used to fly often enough that it was easier to pack a toolbox.

Bear, no he's not a FAC. I don't know know for sure what he does. He was enlisted, then a missile officer for years. Now his AFSC is so classified, my sister can't even get onto the installation at any time except for the annual open house, and then only into one small area. He will be pushing a pencil (REMF'r), I believe.

Post imported post

Dragon armor. Literally a life saver

Post imported post

The laser grip would be nice but I have been told by CATAM (combat arms training instructors) that unless it is issued by them they are not supposed to use it. Depending what base he is going to here is a list: baby wipes, snacks, socks, surefire flashlight, A black hawk drop holster (he will need to be certified when he goes to the range, cold weather stuff. I heard that the dragon armor was not good in the heat.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Bible or other religious or inspirational book.

The Dali Lama has written a good one, if the officer is perhaps agnostic.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

somewhere I remember someone posting about a run of tanker holsters for deploying folks.
    As a former Armor Crewman( M48A5, M60A1, M60A3, M1-IP, M1A1 Heavy) what is this "Tanker Holster" you speak of?

Post imported post

M1Gunner,

Here is the answer to your question about a holster.

http://www.ourbanditleather.com/id105.html

Post imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
    M1Gunner,

Here is the answer to your question about a holster.

http://www.ourbanditleather.com/id105.html
    sorry, we never called it a tanker holster. It was a 1911 shoulder holster.

Post imported post

Wasn't the mark of a Cav/Tanker holster a swivel that let the weapon hang down, like a plumb bob, as to be easily reached at all times?

Post imported post

Definitely can't go wrong with a Blackhawk holster as someone mention or a surefire flashlight.