• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gift Recommendations for deploying airman?

RonnyB

imported post

Howdy. I've been lurking and learning here for a while. I haven't made the open carry leap yet, but that's not where I'm going with this post.My brother in law is a USAF officer, and will be deploying to Afghanistan with an Army unit.I've been out of the USAF for 17 years and have lost touch with what is currently issued. I'd like to get my BIL a useful gift to take along, and hopefully one that he will find useful. He's already been to the tactical store on base, and already has an iPod. Any recommendations from those who have been there recently?

My first inclination is an auto knife, but thanks to our state laws I can't do that legally. Second thoughts would be M9 laser grips. Also, somewhere I remember someone posting about a run oftanker holsters for deploying folks. Anyinfo on thiswould be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

madcapmag

imported post

Get him a bunch of deoderant sticks! Sounds funny, but my church sends off care packages to the troops and it seems those Speed Sticks are all the rage! :D

BlaineG

imported post

A top quality SOG multi-tool and sheath.....I havn't been without one for decades and I use it about every day.

Bear 45/70

imported post

RonnyB wrote:
Howdy. I've been lurking and learning here for a while. I haven't made the open carry leap yet, but that's not where I'm going with this post.My brother in law is a USAF officer, and will be deploying to Afghanistan with an Army unit.I've been out of the USAF for 17 years and have lost touch with what is currently issued. I'd like to get my BIL a useful gift to take along, and hopefully one that he will find useful. He's already been to the tactical store on base, and already has an iPod. Any recommendations from those who have been there recently?

My first inclination is an auto knife, but thanks to our state laws I can't do that legally. Second thoughts would be M9 laser grips. Also, somewhere I remember someone posting about a run oftanker holsters for deploying folks. Anyinfo on thiswould be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Is he a Forward Air Controller?

RonnyB

imported post

Thanks for the suggestions! The multi-tool is a habit I've gotten out of, as I used to fly often enough that it was easier to pack a toolbox.

Bear, no he's not a FAC. I don't know know for sure what he does. He was enlisted, then a missile officer for years. Now his AFSC is so classified, my sister can't even get onto the installation at any time except for the annual open house, and then only into one small area. He will be pushing a pencil (REMF'r), I believe.

dlnwoody

imported post

The laser grip would be nice but I have been told by CATAM (combat arms training instructors) that unless it is issued by them they are not supposed to use it. Depending what base he is going to here is a list: baby wipes, snacks, socks, surefire flashlight, A black hawk drop holster (he will need to be certified when he goes to the range, cold weather stuff. I heard that the dragon armor was not good in the heat.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bible or other religious or inspirational book.

The Dali Lama has written a good one, if the officer is perhaps agnostic.

BlaineG

imported post

Wasn't the mark of a Cav/Tanker holster a swivel that let the weapon hang down, like a plumb bob, as to be easily reached at all times?