• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New resident - a few questions (v. laws and where to shoot)

Icarus

imported post

Hello all,

So I've been lurking around this site for a while but since I just moved to Virginia, I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I guess my biggest question is, "where am I allowed to shoot in VA"? Obviously shooting ranges, but is there public land that you can just drive up to an set up your own range? Anywhere as long as you are away from cities and occupied buildings?

I already have a non-res CCW from UT, so I'm valid in VA - will probably just stick with this (I moved out here for school, so am only a part-time resident). I understand VA doesn't have a castle doctrine, and actually has a weak duty to retreat. How much does this apply to self-defense situations outside your home?

And finally, where can I find a decent outdoor range (or good outdoors place to shoot) near Newport News?? My Google-fu is failing me.

Thanks everyone, sorry for all the questions!

richarcm

imported post

You ask some good questions. Questions I don't know the answer to. Someone should be able to help.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Icarus wrote:
Hello all,

So I've been lurking around this site for a while but since I just moved to Virginia, I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few questions.
Welcome to Virginia.

I guess my biggest question is, "where am I allowed to shoot in VA"? Obviously shooting ranges, but is there public land that you can just drive up to an set up your own range? Anywhere as long as you are away from cities and occupied buildings?
Unlike "out west" there are no public lands in Virginia, and the Forest Service takes a distaste to you setting up an ad hoc range in their woods. You need to find a private range/club to join or become friends with someone who has a range set up already on their own land. Hopefully they have already checked out the county/city ordinances re: discharge of firearms.

I already have a non-res CCW from UT, so I'm valid in VA - will probably just stick with this (I moved out here for school, so am only a part-time resident). I understand VA doesn't have a castle doctrine, and actually has a weak duty to retreat. How much does this apply to self-defense situations outside your home?
Check out http://www.virginia1774.org/Page5.htmlfor the case law that forms the basis of most of Virginia's dealings with self defense. You will be surprised to find out that between case and common law there is little if any duty to retreat from any place inside or outside your home if you are there legally (in Virginia that means there is no law saying you cannot be there doing what you are doing there). About the only things we are lacking are civil immunity and statutory protection from prosecution.

And finally, where can I find a decent outdoor range (or good outdoors place to shoot) near Newport News?? My Google-fu is failing me.
These ought to keep you busy for a while.
Be sure to check out www.vcdl.org and become a member! Also look at the Tidewater OC dinners and show up to introduce yourself.
stay safe.

67GT390FB

imported post

Icarus wrote:
Hello all,

There are some free public ranges run by DGIF go to http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/to find these locations.

the only drawback to these ranges is that they are rifle and shotgun only no pistol.

the closest to you is probably going to be located at the Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area.

Icarus

imported post

Sweet thanks everyone - I'll definitely try to make it out to one of the open carry lunches

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The only real range near NN is the Lafayette Gun Club, the largest and oldest gun club in the Commonwealth. It is off Dare Rd. in the Grafton area of York Co. Check out www.4lgc.org . It has 50 and 100 yd rifle ranges, a shotgun range, and an indoor pistol/.22 rifle range open pretty much 24/7. I think it runs about $175 a year. You'll have to make some acquaintences first, because membership application requires sponsorship by a current member. You also have to be an NRA member.

There is a Tidewater dining out evening coming up on the 23rd at the Freemason Abbey in Norfolk. Look for the thread on this subject.

Welcome aboard!