• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Army Taps Industry for M4 Replacement

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In the midst of two full scale operations too suppress radical religious sociopaths, the military is highly unlikely IMO to completely retool it's entire weapons system. It was a nightmare in the 60's replacing the M14 (a mistake if you ask me). If we do anything, we'll rechamber to a mid 6mm cartridge, and put a piston in the M4. Until we end our engagements in the middle east, which won't be soon, (even if we elect the moonbat) we don't need to go through the trials of fielding a completely new weapon system.

The M4 is good enough for now, I work on them everyday. Most of the trigger pullers I know want a different round, but they like the weapon.

imperialism2024

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I really hope they go to a new caliber.

I would be a very happy man to see all that surplus 5.56 unloaded onto the market!
Hey, at least the food for your SBRs isn't used by practically every third-world military and rogue faction in existance... :cuss:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
Deanimator wrote: 
All you need is a piston upper for the M4.  The M16 series has the best operator controls EVER.  Chamber it for 6.5Grendel and you have he best combat rifle in the world.
+1 on that.

+2 on that! When I was in the 10th Group, I was issued a 10" CAR 15 that was extremely light and portable and accurate out to 300 meters. If it was chambered for the 6.5 Grendal, it would have been the best carbine in the world IMHO.

It would be nothing to produce 10" Grendal uppers with a gas piston for Tankers and SF types and 14" uppers with piston for the regulars. Make the entire system modular and save the taxpayers millions of dollars.

Perhaps that makes too much sense?

If the Army requested it, I'm sure it could be done. But they didn't. Instead, they're asking for salesmen to make their pitches!

What the Army is doing might yield a decent carbine, but it won't be cost-effective.

I'm sure we won't end up with anything modular. More likely it will be proprietary right down to the ammunition :quirky

Krato88

imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:
personally i think the ak has horrible ergonomics especially for me being a real big fella. might be ok for little people, but for me its a pain to shoot and even harder to shoot accurately from a decent distance.

personally i can shoot my mini14 much better, and its a small rifle too...

this isn't meant to be a M16 vs Ak vs whatever post but i do not think the AK is the end all of combat rifles and never really has been and its been extremely over hyped for a very long time.

we all know its reliable :celebrate
Well, lets change it from M16 vs Ak 47 (btw that would be the funniest thing ever if they chose an American-made AK to replace it :lol:) to M16+AK47.

I absolutely love my SIG 556, which combines alot of the great accuracy and universal features of the M series with the ruggedness and reliability of the AK's ( the good ones, not the "Brand X" AK's...you know who you are :D). I've barely put 100 rounds through my 556 and have cleaned it after every range session, but I've read of people who havn't done a thorough cleaning after over 2000 rounds and there is still very little build up in the gas system or the bolt area.

Its exceedingly easy to take down and it almost reassembles itself. If it only came with the option for a larger caliber, it would be the 100% perfect weapon imo.

KBCraig

imported post

Krato88 wrote:
Well, lets change it from M16 vs Ak 47 (btw that would be the funniest thing ever if they chose an American-made AK to replace it :lol:) to M16+AK47.
The Galil has already been invented. ;)

murphy2

imported post

Well said! I would'nt want to be hit with a 5.56mm. It is all noncense! I was over in the "sand box" I would not have felt "unarmed" with a M14. They say "we need a new weapon"! What it really meens, is we need more money we can spend else where.