Thread: question about Carrying handgun in car.

Post imported post

hello southern neighbors.
    I was looking on the nevada revised statues.
    I could not find anything about carrying a loaded handgun in your vehicle.
    can anybody direct me to any laws pertaining.
    I am going to arizona soon and want to take highway 93 down to vegas and cut across to arizona..
    any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Post imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
    hello southern neighbors.
    I was looking on the nevada revised statues.
    I could not find anything about carrying a loaded handgun in your vehicle.
    can anybody direct me to any laws pertaining.
    I am going to arizona soon and want to take highway 93 down to vegas and cut across to arizona..
    any help would be appreciated.. thanks
    From the Nevada Rifle & Pistol Association website:

Transportation of Firearms If an individual is not hunting, loaded firearms may be carried in a vehicle. During hunting, all firearms must be entirely unloaded before being placed in the vehicle (not after!). Handguns must not be concealed on a person in a vehicle unless that person holds a CCW permit issued in Nevada. Handguns must not be concealed on or by a person's body unless that person holds a CCW permit issued in Nevada. This is true while driving, also.

Post imported post

So long as it's not concealed on your body, it can be anywhere in the car: Glove box, center console, under the seat, stuck between the seat cushions, duct taped to the ceiling, sitting on the passenger seat, on your dashboard, etc. Just not concealed on you. Unless you have a permit NV recognizes, then it can be anywhere.

Post imported post

Agreed.

But long guns must not have a live round in the chamber. Magazines can be loaded, but no live round in the chamber.

Taken from www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-503.html#NRS503Sec165
    NRS 503.165 Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun in or on vehicle on or along public way unlawful; exceptions.
    1. It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public.

2. A rifle or shotgun is loaded, for the purposes of this section, when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber, but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.

3. The provisions of this section do not apply to paraplegics, persons with one or both legs amputated or who have suffered a paralysis of one or both legs which severely impedes walking, or peace officers and members of the Armed Forces of this State or the United States while on duty or going to or returning from duty.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1367; A 1971, 1542; 1981, 321; 1987, 596)

Post imported post

Okay, so this is confusing. It cant be concealed on me, but anywhere else in the vehicle is fine. What about a holstered open carried handgun on your person?

Post imported post

Holstered open carry upon your person is lawful.

Post imported post

Thanks! I couldnt find the laws on Nevada's site. Depending on what happens I may either be moving to (ugh) or at least visiting Las Vegas...

Post imported post