• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to North Carolina from Indiana (Reciprocity question)

ImChad

imported post

I can't find a good link anywhere explaining what precautions I need to take while traveling to North Carolina. I modified my route to avoid Ohio, because I know how they are. But, I'm wondering if I need to be aware of anything in KY, TN, NC.

Also, We're going to the national park (the smokies) and I know I can't carry in the park, but is the highway running through to park to north Carolina considered to be off limits?

I've will have...(hopefully it gets here in time) my Indiana CCW permit. Any traveling advice is very much appriciated.

Prometheus

imported post

ImChad wrote:
I can't find a good link anywhere explaining what precautions I need to take while traveling to North Carolina. I modified my route to avoid Ohio, because I know how they are. But, I'm wondering if I need to be aware of anything in KY, TN, NC.

All three allow open or concealed carry with a Indiana LTCH. Be advised NC can be very anal about OC and OC in cities is a touchy subject because of some kind of local ordinances. When I was in NC I did not OC for that reason. To many unknowns. KY and TN are both very pro gun and pro carry.

Also it is illegal to carry anywhere in NC that charges admission. FWIW South carolina wasn't honoring Indiana's LTCH as of about 6 months ago, I haven't heard different just in case you find yourself in S.C.

Also, We're going to the national park (the smokies) and I know I can't carry in the park, but is the highway running through to park to north Carolina considered to be off limits?

It shouldn't be, from my experiecnes in Florida driving thru national parks staying on the main roads are exempted from that. Should is the operative word.

I've will have...(hopefully it gets here in time) my Indiana CCW permit.
[/quote] Indiana has a License to Carry a Handgun, aka LTCH. Indiana doesn't issue CCW permits :p