• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Audit: ATF lost 76 weapons, hundreds of laptops

buster81

imported post

Here is a good counter for the gun grabbers when the say that guns should only be in the hands of thetrained authorities.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080917/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/lost_weapons

WASHINGTON - The ATF lost 76 weapons and hundreds of laptops over five years, the Justice Department reported Wednesday, blaming carelessness and sloppy record-keeping.

Thirty-five of the missing handguns, rifles, Tasers and other weapons were stolen, as were 50 laptops, the internal audit found. Two of the stolen weapons were used in crimes.

The audit by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine found "inadequate" oversight of weapons and laptops resulted in "significant rates of losses" at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"It is especially troubling that that ATF's rate of loss for weapons was nearly double that of the FBI and DEA, and that ATF did not even know whether most of its lost, stolen, or missing laptop computers contained sensitive or classified information," he added.

In a Sept. 10 letter responding to the audit, ATF acting Director Michael J. Sullivan said his agency "agrees or partially agrees with most of the recommendations."

"We are revising our procedures of reporting losses of weapons or laptops," Sullivan said.

The audit looked at ATF's inventory of weapons, laptops, ammunition and explosives between Oct. 1, 2002 and Aug. 31, 2007.

It found that ATF lost three times more weapons each month than it had in a similar 2002 audit by the Treasury Department, which used to oversee the agency. It also lost 50 times as many laptops as reported in the earlier audit.

Of the 76 weapons, 35 were reported stolen, 19 lost and 12 missing from inventories, investigators found. Of the 418 missing laptops, 50 were stolen, 8 lost and 274 could not be found during inventory. Another 86 laptops were unaccounted for because ATF had either destroyed or lost documents showing where they were, the audit concluded.

Two weapons reported stolen were used to commit crimes. In one instance, a gun was stolen from an ATF car parked outside the agent's home and later used to shoot through the window of another residence, the audit found. In the other, a stolen ATF gun was taken from a burglary suspect.

Additionally, ATF employees did not report 13 of the 76 lost weapons, or 365 of the 418 missing laptops, to internal affairs as required. ATF officials also did not report much of the lost equipment to the Justice Department.

Investigators could not conclude what was on 398 of 418 missing laptops — except that few were encrypted. That means any sensitive material on the laptops could have been exposed.

Moreover, "we found that ATF did not regularly attempt to determine whether the lost, stolen or missing laptop computers contained sensitive or classified information," the audit said.

But few — only 18 of 7,500 — ATF laptops were authorized to hold classified information.

Compared to weapons loss rates for the FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration, the ATF misplaced almost twice as many guns. The audit found that the ATF lost .52 weapons per 1,000 employees, compared to .29 at the FBI and .28 at the DEA.

Fine's investigators concluded there were proper controls and oversight of explosives in ATF's possession, and good security for ammunition. However, nine of 20 ATF field offices surveyed did not have proper accounting methods for ammunition.

Dustin

imported post

Those weapons aren't lost.

Just like the Hurricane Katrina Gun confiscation,

THOSE WEAPONS ARE IN SOME COPS PERSONAL GUN SAFE !!!

Man I better stay away from this topic, this kind ofshitburns me up ! :cuss:

Thundar

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Those weapons aren't lost.

Just like the Hurricane Katrina Gun confiscation,

THOSE WEAPONS ARE IN SOME COPS PERSONAL GUN SAFE !!!

Man I better stay away from this topic, this kind of@#$%burns me up ! :cuss:
There is a lot of truth to that.

forever_frost

imported post

This is the same agency that wants us to trust them with our personal information, to keep records of everything we buy and to enforce the standard? How about just doing away with the ATF completely? Save a lot of cash

Thundar

imported post

1) I wonder if there were any select fire, short barreled rifles or shotguns or silencers amongst those weapons that were stolen, and especially amongst the stolen and not reported weapons. This will look very bad for the BATFE if any class III were lost.

2) If anybody had any doubt about providing SSNs on the federal permission slip when buying firearms, the loss and non reporting of encrypted laptops should convince you. Next time you buy from a dealer do not fill in the SSN line. It is optional.

3) There may be sensitive information (SSN and other stuff) about U.S. citizens on those stolen laptops. When the U.S. Navy, The Veterans Department and Bank of America accidentally disclosed my SSN they all had to inform me. (The VA disclosure was also due to a missing laptop) I wonder if the BATFE will be required to inform citizens that they were in a database that was compromised. Significance here is that there isn't supposed to be a list (other than class III).

4) For the 13 not reported losses, I hope that there are at least 13 former BATFE employees with pending felony charges.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The scary part is that reports along these lines come out about the BATF year after year after year. This is not some astounding new information. They have been losing guns and computers at higher rate than other agencies for at least 20 years.

Not only is it one of the most hated of US agencies, it is certainly without a doubt, consistently and blatantly the most hypocritical.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Legba wrote:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

-ljp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quis_custodiet_ipsos_custodes%3F

The question is put to Socrates, "Who will guard the guardians?" or, "Who will protect us against the protectors?" Plato's answer to this is that they will guard themselves against themselves. We must tell the guardians a "noble lie." The noble lie will inform them that they are better than those they serve and it is therefore their responsibility to guard and protect those lesser than themselves.
I
n politics a noble lie is a myth or untruth, often, but not invariably, of a religious nature, knowingly told by an elite to maintain social harmony, particularly the social position of that elite. The noble lie is a concept originated by Plato as described in The Republic. However, the concept has far greater scope and has been used by many commentators to talk about much more modern issues in politics. A noble lie, although it may benefit all parties, is different from a white lie since a white lie does not cause discord if uncovered whereas noble lies are usually of a nature such that they would do so

Legba

imported post

As for providing personal information on gun forms (SS#), that information is relayed to NICS which is administered by the FBI (not ATF specifically). Also, for approved transactions, the personal identifying information in the record is purged within 24 hours of approval. This is at least one instance where this information is not kept in a manner that it represents a potential personal security problem. ATF would have to pull your info off 4473 forms, of which there are millions. They don't really concern themselves with approved buyers in any case, apart from specific criminal investigations.

If you're denied for a purchase, however, then they can and do regularly ask for all identifying information on the would-be purchaser, and you may well have to answer to the Man at that time. Identity theft will be the least of your problems in that case.

I'm not defending the agency for what would certainly be inexcusable incompetence if I did anything of the sort as an FFL, I just wanted to reassure gun buyers that the NICS check isn't as sinister as all that (at least as it's implemented now).

-ljp