• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do? Live (and carry) in Indiana, Work in Illinois

ghengis86

imported post

I live in Indiana and have my license to carry. I always have my SA.40 on me and I've been OCing a lot now since finding this site. However, I work in Illinois.

When I cross in IL, I drop the clip and pull the slide (not a complete field strip of the spring). Then I put it in its case and lock the case. I drive a jeep CJ, so there's no part of the car I can't "easily access" so I put in under the rear seat. I think this completely covers me for IL, non-resident, handgun transport laws (and wildlife code), i.e. that the gun is unloaded, in a broken down state, and in a case.

Does anybody else cross the border do something similar? What do you do? Is there an easier way? Like just using a cable lock and putting in a locked center console?

This is such a pain in the ass; IL can get F'd for all I care, but I don't want to end up with some BS 'handgun law violation' charge.

How do you guys deal?

Prometheus

imported post

That SHOULD cover you for ILL... LEOs on that side write their own laws. FWIW handguns are illegal in chicago so broken down or not, you're going to be in a world of hurt.

Federal peaceable journey laws will protect you in the long run if you are passing thru chicago and it isn't your destination, but again, ILl LEOs (especially in sickago) do what they like and while you might beat the rap you won't beat the ride.

Just make sure you never consent to a search either. Locking it (unloaded) in a glove box or center consol should cover you. Also with it locked they can't do a "safety check" on it without either your consent or a warrant.

ghengis86

imported post

Thanks for the info. Do you travel from Hammond to Illinois at all? Cal City? Do you just leave your guns at home?

I work in South Holland so I'll have to check where the city limits are exactly.

Prometheus

imported post

ghengis86 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Do you travel from Hammond to Illinois at all? Cal City? Do you just leave your guns at home?

I work in South Holland so I'll have to check where the city limits are exactly.
My lips are sealed ;)

squarepeg

imported post

My question in this is: When and how do you retrive your gun from the lock box? Do you pull into the first parking lot this side of the border and open the trunk, assemble and load the gun, holster and then get back in? Or do you wait till you get to your first destination's parking lot weather it be 5 minutes into Indiana or 20 minutes? Then do you have to watch your back the whole time so no one sees that you are handeling your gun so you don't get some crazy call. I have never handled a gun outside of my home, the range, or the store, so this makes me a little nervuous

ghengis86

imported post

I have a jeep CJ, so I store the case under the back seat. I can easily grab this while driving.

I don't pull over, so I do everything in the car, most of the time at a stop light. I make sure to have the gun apart and in the case before I reach the border, and then pull it out only when I'm back in IN.

I just unlock the case, slide on the slide, flip down the field strip lever, hit the slide release and pop a clip in. It's cocked, but no round is in the chamberuntil I draw the slide again. It literally takes me a minute to take apart and lock or unlock and put together.

If you have to stop to get the case unlocked, just pull off into a parking lot, grab the case from your trunk and take it into your front seat. You'll be fine.

squarepeg

imported post

What kind of hard case do you have and how is it secured to the Jeep? I have a TJ that I ocasionally drive when there is bad weather or on weekends. I can hardly trust that a pop can would stll be there when I come back out of a store

ghengis86

imported post

just the case thatcomes with the gun(plastic). It fits snugly under the fold and tumble seat, so it doesn't slide around. If i'm going to leave it in a parking lot (anywhere other than my work parking lot, which is fenced and secured), I'll use a slide/cable lock around the handle and the rear seat mount. I'm going to buy a hard metal case here pretty quick, but it'll probably be used in the same way.

But I hardly ever leave my jeep (w/ gun inside and locked to seat mount) if I'm in Illinois, save for the work parking lot. So when I cross back into IN, I'm right back to CCing or OCing.

I never leave my gun in my Jeep in IN, and its always locked when I'm in IL (I hate that state). That's about as safe as I can get. (unless i took it into work and had it in my desk drawer; are you allowed to have it on you person at your job in IL? I thin that if you're the designated 'security' guy, you don't need the states professional card, if you are on the business premises, but someone might know better than I)