• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I carry a gun

Diver_59

imported post

I don't carry a gun to kill people!

I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people!

I carry a gun because sometimes the world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid!

I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil!

I carry a gun because I've lived long enough to see the evil that is in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government!

I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of the government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry!

I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone!

I carry a gun because I want to dieat a ripe old age in my own bed, not on some sidewalk somewhere today or tomorrow.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man!

I carry a gun because a man knows how to take care of himself and the ones he loves.

I don't carry a gun because i love it!

I carry a gun because I love life and the ones that make it special for me.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take a whoopin!

I don'topen carry (sometimes) because I want thosethat would threaten my life or the lives of my loved ones to feel that instant final fear known to only those that might die with the next breath!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

longwatch wrote:
You were doing OK until that last line, so you want to kill people?
Didn't read it that way at all. Perhaps adding one word to his quote would clarify the issue:
"I don'topen carry (sometimes) because I want thosethat would threaten my life or the lives of my loved ones to feel that instant final fear known to only those that might die with the next breath!!! "

The point being that a BG seeing a handgun might (probably) fear the reaction to any attempt to bring serious harm to someone. Ocing has been demonstrated time and again to have a positive deterent effect.

Could have been said better I agree.

Yata hey

Diver_59

imported post

longwatch wrote:

No! I don't wish to kill people if you read the whole thing you would see that.

But if it comes down to me or someone trying injure or kill me or someone I love...you can bet your a$$ it's gonna be them.

Diver_59

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Didn't read it that way at all. Perhaps adding one word to his quote would clarify the issue:
"I don'topen carry (sometimes) because I want thosethat would threaten my life or the lives of my loved ones to feel that instant final fear known to only those that might die with the next breath!!! "

The point being that a BG seeing a handgun might (probably) fear the reaction to any attempt to bring serious harm to someone. Ocing has been demonstrated time and again to have a positive deterent effect.

Could have been said better I agree.

Yata hey
I edited it ....does that make everyone more at ease?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
I edited it ....does that make everyone more at ease?
On one hand it was no big deal :)

We are just sensitive what others (not choir members) might conclude or distort.

Yata hey

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I know what you meant, I'm just exaggerating my response for 2 reasons. That is how the antis and undecideds will take it, and that such a statement would not help your case should you ever take a life in self defense.

Diver_59

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I know what you meant, I'm just exaggerating my response for 2 reasons. That is how the antis and undecideds will take it, and that such a statement would not help your case should you ever take a life in self defense.
Well....the antis are going to try and twist everything said and every idea, that is why they are so twisted. Second they can take it however they want to....I say what I mean and mean what I say. The first amendmant is still in effect...isn't it?!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Well....the antis are going to try and twist everything said and every idea, that is why they are so twisted. Second they can take it however they want to....I say what I mean and mean what I say. The first amendmant is still in effect...isn't it?!

It is not a question of the 1st Amendment. Every fool exercises that when they open their mouth.

What we try to do here is protect and further our right as free men to defend the 2nd Amendment through our participation in OCDO. Comments/postings that reflect poorly are not well received - public image is important. The press, politicians, newbies and yes even the other side peruse these threads regularly. We do not wish to add unnecessarily to their tinder.

Not hard to understand is it?

Yata hey

Diver_59

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Diver_59 wrote:
longwatch wrote:

It is not a question of the 1st Amendment. Every fool exercises that when they open their mouth.

What we try to do here is protect and further our right as free men to defend the 2nd Amendment through our participation in OCDO. Comments/postings that reflect poorly are not well received - public image is important. The press, politicians, newbies and yes even the other side peruse these threads regularly. We do not wish to add unnecessarily to their tinder.

Yata hey
Does this include you? are you one of the fools that enjoys the 1st amendment rights as well?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Diver_59 wrote:

Yata hey
Does this include you? are you one of the fools that enjoys the 1st amendment rights as well?
Call 'em like you see 'em. Don't be shy. Are you baiting a hook for a reason?

My posting was a comment on why others responded as they did - not an attack. I stand behind them. Our choice of words and attitude expressed do make a difference.

Yata hey

Diver_59

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Diver_59 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Diver_59 wrote:

Yata hey
Call 'em like you see 'em. Don't be shy. Are you baiting a hook for a reason?

My posting was a comment on why others responded as they did - not an attack. I stand behind them. Our choice of words and attitude expressed do make a difference.

Yata hey
All I was saying in my first posting was, I dont carry a gun to scare, or to intimidate or to hurt or kill anyone....but if you are someone who has intent to do so then be prepared to face consiquinces. If that is not why we all carry a gun...then I ask why do we bother to carry one or fight to keep the right to carry and use one?! And then someone has to go and start picking my words apart. So...thats all I have to say about it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
All I was saying in my first posting was, I dont carry a gun to scare, or to intimidate or to hurt or kill anyone....but if you are someone who has intent to do so then be prepared to face consiquinces. If that is not why we all carry a gun...then I ask why do we bother to carry one or fight to keep the right to carry and use one?! And then someone has to go and start picking my words apart. So...thats all I have to say about it.
+1 on all your statements above with little exception as well as 99% of your OP.

So lighten up a little - nobody is attacking you personally. No one is picking anything apart - we are discussing, commenting - its sharing thoughts.

Hope you are not one of those people that when they think they have made an error, only conclude that they were mistaken. :D

Yata hey

45_ACP

imported post

3/325,

Thank you for giving the correct attribution to this piece. It really drives me crazy when people like Driver_59 steal the piece, change a couple of words and try to present it as their own. If they want to write something, write it, but don't steal my piece, change a couple of words and present it as their own. That's not right.

Syd

45_ACP

imported post

For the record,

I don’t carry a gun… November 13th, 2007 by Syd

… to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because my sex organs are too small. I carry a gun because I want to continue to use those sex organs for the purpose for which they were intended for a good long time to come.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Syd
Front Sight, Press
http://www.snubnose.info/wordpress/rkba/i-dont-carry-a-gun/

Diver_59

imported post

To all who have read this posting....I never claimed to be the original auther, I thought it was a good piece and have done the same as others on here and reposted it. then I started getting some flak about the way the last line was

written so I re-worded it....sorry if I stepped on anyones toes.