• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone just tuck thier shirt behind thier gun?

rottman43055

imported post

I was just curious, I've been tucking my shirts in & OC'ing on my waist.

Thing is, I don't typically tuck my shirts in (til I started OC'ing) & was wondering if anyone lets thier shirts hang out but tuck it behind the gun.

Thanks

lprgcFrank

imported post

Aren't you describing the 'buckeye tuck' that used to be required when carrying in a car prior to the law change in April 07? (when you were required to OC when in a car)

Legba

imported post

Yeah, I do that at work. I don't have a permit and so have to OC, and I just wedge my shirt in under the holster if it's not tucked in altogether. Seems to work OK.

-ljp

scorpioajr

imported post

rottman43055 wrote:
...was wondering if anyone lets thier shirts hang out but tuck it behind the gun....

YES, I Do.

i probably wear button down shirts 75% of the time. ( & for the record, i am not a 'tuck my shirt in' kinda guy, unless its work)

I have never had a LEO ask me to tuck the whole thing in.

WHAT I DO: anytime im walking around a store or i am getting out of my car: i always take my LEFT hand around my back and pull on the bottom of my shirt, this enables me to adjust my clothing ANYTIME without the perception of "me going for my gun".

Belive it or not, the untucked shirts REALLY have never gotten in the way, IMO.

D94R

imported post

Sure do! I have yet to tuck in my shirt while OCing. I don't go to many "formal" gatherings where a tucked shirt is warranted, anyhow.

P6080027.jpg

D94R

imported post

Nope, that is Utah scenery. I am however an Ohio Native! :D

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I want a more "professional" look when OC I tuck my shirt in. I think people maythink i am a LEO when I tuck my shirt in, maybe by my body'sframe.If I want a more casual look like a avg. Joe I will only tuck my shirt in behind my gun. Also it depends on the shirt length, and what looks better to me.

Lthrnck

imported post

Nope, wear my shirts tucked in all the time. So if I want to Conceal, I do the BUCKEYE UNTUCK...and pull my shirt out..:celebrate:what:

Prophet

imported post

I rock it like D94R does for a couple reasons. Unless its a button up shirt I don't tuck it in. Before I started OC-ing I realized that my hand cannon of a .45 (1911) would start making a little tear at the point that the hammer contacted my shirts. So why stretch out my shirts and conceal when I can just open carry and tuck in my shirt behind it? Cops HATE to hear that one. Also i don't wear big shirts so that the 5 inch barrel of the 1911 is never really concealed well even when its covered so whats the point.

Kungfu

imported post

Someone suggested I do it when I'm on my bike, then when just before I turn on my street, I pull my shirt out and over it.....saves grief from the neighbors.

soloban

imported post

Out here they call it the "Virginia Tuck". You can't CC in a restaurant or club that serves alcohol unless you are on the staff or have the permission of the owner.

medic0157

imported post

If you are in OH be careful doing the buckeye tuck if you have an IWB holster. A few weeks ago that guy got arrested and charged with CC even though he was OC. My understanding is because it was a flap style holster they are claiming it was concealed. If they get away with it (they better not) they could also claim an IWB is partially concealed.

n8isaham

imported post

interesting If they say a flap holster like the one i had in the ARMY in 85 is a concealment. sounds like CC permit holders could use it and not tuck and fall into both catagories of OC and CC. worth looking into.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I think the "tuck" method is problematic if you do not have the permit - too easy to be accused of concealing or to accidentially actually conceal.

Also, I think the image of the tuck might make your carry look sketchier and not present the best image for open carriers.

Maybe I'm getting old, but shirts should be tucked in pants anyway :)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
I think the "tuck" method is problematic if you do not have the permit - too easy to be accused of concealing or to accidentially actually conceal.

Also, I think the image of the tuck might make your carry look sketchier and not present the best image for open carriers.

Maybe I'm getting old, but shirts should be tucked in pants anyway :)

Cop: You're Concealing your weapon!
Me: How do you know?!
Cop: I CAN SEE IT RIGHT THERE!

:banghead: