• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled Over Last Night

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Last night, on my way home from work, I was not paying attention to my speed and a Sherrif pulled me over. I hadn't been pulled over by police for a triffic violation for almost 3 years, so I was a bit nervous when I saw the lights flashing behind me.

I remembered all of the things I learned on the forum about how to handle the situation and started down the list by pulling over in a good spot and far enough off the road so that it would not be hazardous for the officer. I turned off the car and turned on the interior lights on my mirror and rolled down the window about an inch or so and then put my hands on the steering wheel with my palms down but with my hands spread open.

He approached the car and asked me to roll my window down, so I rolled it down to half way. He told me he had pulled me over for speeding and a headlight out and gave me a number for the mph I was over. It was about 12:30 AM this morning, so there weren't very many cars on the road at all. I must admit that sometimes Ihave a bit of a lead foot when I drive home under those conditions. I usually follow the flow of traffic when there are more cars on the road.

Anyway, back to the story. He asked me for my license and registration, so I pulled out my wallet and started to retrieve my license. Upon doing so, the officer noticed my CCW license in my wallet and asked me if I was armed. I told him, "No Sir" and said that I could not carry to work. I didn't know how he was going to handle the situation at that point. I didn't know if he was going to ask me to get out of the car or what, but he was very professional and cool and handled the situation very well. He didn't say anything after my reply.

He took my license and registration back to his car. About 3 minutes later, he returned to the car. When I heard him approaching, I put my hands back up on the steering wheel in the same fashion as before so he would feel at ease by knowing where my hands were and that they were still empty.

He told me that I was clear and had no warrants and stuff and that he was going to let me off with a warning this time but to watch my speed. I was totally relieved that he didn't ticket me because I'm suffering horribly with finance problems right now, not to mention I had to go to Auto Zone and pick up a new lamp for my headlight that cost me about $11.00 after taxes.

In conclusion: This was the best LEO experience I have ever had. The officer handled himself in a professional and honorable manner and didn't go ballistic when he discovered my CCW license. If theTooele Sherrifwho pulled me over happens to come across this thead, I would like to say, "Thank You". We need more officers like that. Having a good experience like this also helps me gain more respect for LEOs and helps quell my fears that they might abuse their authority against the law-abiding public.

Tooele Sherrif's Department gets 5 banannas for professionalism! :)

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Kevin

scorpioajr

imported post

I remembered all of the things I learned on the forum about how to handle the situation and started down the list by pulling over in a good spot and far enough off the road so that it would not be hazardous for the officer. I turned off the car and turned on the interior lights on my mirror and rolled down the window about an inch or so and then put my hands on the steering wheel with my palms down but with my hands spread open.

Very cool!

IMO- i beleive the above captioned was one of the MAIN reasons this encounter went so well. It wasn't too long ago that someone made a post about the LEO that threw a fit when the guy didn't let LEO know he was CFP carrier, even though he wasn't carrying.

It sounds like you made this stop very "Easy" on the officer, and he rewarded you thusly. Very sMart move on your part.

Kudos bro! You get a dancing monkey!:monkey

Having a good experience like this also helps me gain more respect for LEOs and helps quell my fears that they might abuse their authority against the law-abiding public.
+1

Carnivore

imported post

AWESOME !!:dude:You are the example of what it takes to keep the wheels turning, and this particular officer will hopefullyshare this experience when he's at his next Coffee stop.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

You did very well congrats on a good experiance with law enforcement just wondering why you don't keep a firearm in your car for after work. lol hope every experience with leo's will be that good

LovesHisXD45

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
You did very well congrats on a good experiance with law enforcement just wondering why you don't keep a firearm in your car for after work. lol hope every experience with leo's will be that good

Thanks. I can't keep a gun in my car because of company policy. I would rather be shot, hung, mugged, tared and feathered than put my job at risk. If I get killed over, at least my family gets some good life insurance, but without a job, we would loose everything. I think their policy might change eventually, but it might be a decade before that even comes up on the agenda.

Kevin

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I just hope that my OC experience has the same results with officers and regular folks when I start strapping on my new Serpa and going out and about with my XD. I'm excited and scared all at the same time.

Kevin

P.S. Does anyone know where to get a good black nylon gun belt that doesn't cost a fortune? How do those places that sell them get away with those prices? It's just a belt for crying out loud!

althor

imported post

P.S. Does anyone know where to get a good black nylon gun belt that doesn't cost a fortune? How do those places that sell them get away with those prices? It's just a belt for crying out loud!
What do you consider a fortune? After looking at belts for years I'm pretty much of the opinion that if you want a good one you're going to pay!

Utah_Patriot

imported post

If you go to skaggs they have a black nylon black belt for 9.95 don't get the expensive on just the one for 9.95 then cut it down to your size

scorpioajr

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
...P.S. Does anyone know where to get a good black nylon gun belt that doesn't cost a fortune?...
http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com (aside from Ebay) is a great place to start looking for 'cheap' nylon holsters. I bought my shoulder rig from them for $19.00 AND it included a double mag holder for the other side.
skaggs they have a black nylon black belt for 9.95
But THATS a deal!
:celebrate

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Thanks, I'll check those sources out. I'm tall and skinny, so I only have a 32" waist. I wonder if Doug's has any too.

:cool:

ainokea

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

It wasn't too long ago that someone made a post about the LEO that threw a fit when the guy didn't let LEO know he was CFP carrier, even though he wasn't carrying.
Both you and the officer handled yourselves in a respectable manner. Good job! BTW I was the one who had the not so pleasant experience. But, in the end the officer that stopped me was educated by a very professional K-9 cop.