There has been a lot of emotion on this forum over the shooting of Detective Shiversby Ryan Frederick. This isn't the thread in which to have the debate. This is posted to simply inform others in the Hampton Roads area of the benefit for the fallen officer. I haven't put on my ice skates in years, but I might go skating in October. Now if I could only remember where I stored my skates!

Memorial Skating Session to Benefit Family of Detective Jarrod Shivers

Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008
Start Time: 4:00 pm End Time: 5:00 pm
(Time Zone: US/Eastern)

Category: General

Chilled Ponds Ice Sports Complex will hold a series of memorial skating sessions to benefit the family of Chesapeake Police Detective Jarrod Shivers.

Chilled Ponds will set aside the last Sunday of each month from 4 - 5 p.m. for the entire year for this cause.

Shivers was killed in the line of duty when he and fellow undercover officers attempted to serve a search warrant as part of a drug investigation. The 34-year old father left behind a wife and three children, ages 2, 8, and 14.

"Detective Shrivers was an extraordinary person and committed police officer in our community," said Chilled Ponds Owner Patrick Cavanagh, a friend of the family. "I can't express my sorrow and regret for these circumstances that have left great distress on those closest to him. I hope that we can provide some comfort to the Shivers family to ease the pain they are going through."

"We are asking for $10 (or other donation) per person for admission and skate rental at the event, from which 100 percent of all proceeds will be donated to Detective Shiver's family," said Cavanagh. "So come on out, skate, and let's help this devastated family".

"We ask your participation to make this effort part of your calendar by inviting all family, friends, and peers," Cavanagh said.

Members of the Hampton Roads Whalers, Ponds Adult Hockey Program and the Chilled Ponds Hockey League are asked to attend the benefit tonight "to honor Detective Shivers' contributions to Chesapeake", Cavanagh noted.

A year-round sports destination, Chilled Ponds features two National Hockey League-size rinks, a 6000 square-foot fitness center, a cafe and pro shops. The sports complex is the practice site for the AHL Norfolk Admirals, Whaler National Youth Hockey, the Hampton Roads Figure Skating Club, and Ponds Adult Hockey.

Phone: 757-420-4488

More Info:

Location Details

Chilled Ponds Ice Sports Complex
1416 Stephanie Way
Chesapeake VA 23320 USA

Location Phone: 757-420-4488

Located in Greenbrier shopping area ( behind Crossways Center and Regal Cinemas).