Thread: Anyone else told they cannot OC while weapon is loaded?

Post imported post

Several years ago, I took a CCW course where the instructor stated that, per NRS,a handgun could be open-carried so long as the gun was unloaded. He further explained that this meant the cylinders in a revolver needed to be completely empty, and a loaded magazine could not be inserted into a semi-auto. From everything I have seen here and read in the NRS, this is NOT the case (unless it is a longarm)? Has anyone here heard of this or know why I might have been told this by a CCW instructor?

Activist Member

Post imported post

There is no such NRS. Many CCW instructors seem to be either really ignorant of the laws or intentionally misleading.

The rules you listed sound like California laws to me.

The only thing like that at all in Nevada, is that when in a vehicle, along gun (rifle or shotgun)may not have a round in the firing chamber (but the magazine can be fully loaded)

I carry my revolver with all chambers fully loaded.

Post imported post

The only thing I know of that's close in Nevada is Long Guns in a car. You can't have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a car/truck. I think it was intended for hunting, but it applies at all times. You can have the rifle/shotgun's magazine full, as long as there isn't a round chambered. I don't know what NRS that is, but I'm sure someone will post it

I heard that in Utah, OC without a permit is ok as long as the chamber is empty. What you were told does sound a lot like what I've heard for Kommiefornia. I'm so glad I left that state.

Post imported post

I OC with one in the chamber all the time. As Anakin mentioned, that seems more like a Utah thing.

Post imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
    I OC with one in the chamber all the time. As Anakin mentioned, that seems more like a Utah thing.
    Um, you mean Kalifornia. Kalifornia requires open carry to be completely unloaded, Utah only requires that the chamber be empty or in the case of a revolver, the cylinder "next in line" be empty. As it was described to me "the gun has to be two mechanical actions from firing."

Post imported post

icode wrote:
    yeahYeah wrote:
    Um, you mean Kalifornia. Kalifornia requires open carry to be completely unloaded, Utah only requires that the chamber be empty or in the case of a revolver, the cylinder "next in line" be empty. As it was described to me "the gun has to be two mechanical actions from firing."
    smart @ss :what:

sorry, i forgot about the commies to the west of us.

did you get the videos?

Post imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
    icode wrote:
    yeahYeah wrote:
    smart @ss :what:

sorry, i forgot about the commies to the west of us.

did you get the videos?
    I always figure being a smart one is better than being a dumb one:celebrateI emailed you.

Activist Member

Post imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
    You can have the rifle/shotgun's magazine full, as long as there isn't a round chambered. I don't know what NRS that is, but I'm sure someone will post it

NRS 503.165is the law that restricts loaded chambers of long guns in a vehicle.

----

Also, along the lines of Nevada laws requiring unloaded guns, there is only one other thing I can think of.According to NRS 202.300,With written permission from a parent, a child over the age of 14 may possess a firearm without being supervised if the child is:

(a) Attending a course of instruction in the responsibilities of hunters or a course of instruction in the safe use of firearms;

(b) Practicing the use of a firearm at an established firing range or at any other area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted;

(c) Participating in a lawfully organized competition or performance involving the use of a firearm;

(d) Within an area in which the discharge of firearms has not been prohibited by local ordinance or regulation and he is engaging in a lawful hunting activity in accordance with chapter 502 of NRS for which a license is not required;

(e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (d), and the firearm is not loaded;

(f) On real property that is under the control of an adult, and the child has the permission of that adult to possess the firearm on the real property; or

(g) At his residence.
    And in this case, loaded means either a loaded chamber or magazine inserted, but a loaded magazine can be stored nearby and inserted "if possession of the firearm is necessary for the immediate defense of the child or another person." Children need the permission of their parents to possess a long gun, and written permission to possess a gun "capable of being concealed."

Post imported post

how does RENO 911 treat local ocers??

I want to go see bsu vs wolfpack down there. and want to oc
    while in orange and blue..lol

Activist Member

Post imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
    how does RENO 911 treat local ocers??

I want to go see bsu vs wolfpack down there. and want to oc
    while in orange and blue..lol
    Possession of a firearm is illegal on University property in Nevada.

Post imported post

sorry i better clarify.. i wont be carrying at game just around town...

Activist Member

Post imported post

Aye, in that case you should be fine!

Post imported post

Schools are govt. sanctioned killing fields.

Post imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
    Schools are govt. sanctioned killing fields.
    +1

It irritates me when I take my son to cub scouts, the meetings are in a school so I have to leave my sidearm in the car

Post imported post

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?!?!

Post imported post

irish wrote:
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?!?!
    Yes, but it keeps him out of jail.

Post imported post

Sorry, I was referring to the original post about not having a loaded weapon in your holster.

Post imported post

That doesn't make any sense to me you may as well just pick up a rock and put it in your pocket having an unloaded gun is the same as not having one at all. I have never heard of such a crazy claim. Then again...

Post imported post

in the 1980's and before the general rule of thumb was open carry anywhere just no round in the chamber for semi's and hammer on empty cylinder for revolvers, this was before concealed carry permits. I actually had a judge tell me that when he was canvassing the neighborhood during election time. Now with all the Kali transplants, things are sure different.

I will out in the Black Rock Desert this late spring and you can be sure my Colt 1860 Cap & ball will not have a cap on the nipple under the hammer, in or out of the truck

sprat

Post imported post

sprat wrote:
    in the 1980's and before the general rule of thumb was open carry anywhere just no round in the chamber for semi's and hammer on empty cylinder for revolvers, this was before concealed carry permits. I actually had a judge tell me that when he was canvassing the neighborhood during election time. Now with all the Kali transplants, things are sure different.

I will out in the Black Rock Desert this late spring and you can be sure my Colt 1860 Cap & ball will not have a cap on the nipple under the hammer, in or out of the truck

sprat
    Why? You should be fine.....unless you drop it.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

LibertyandJustice4All wrote:
    Several years ago, I took a CCW course where the instructor stated that, per NRS,a handgun could be open-carried so long as the gun was unloaded. He further explained that this meant the cylinders in a revolver needed to be completely empty, and a loaded magazine could not be inserted into a semi-auto. From everything I have seen here and read in the NRS, this is NOT the case (unless it is a longarm)? Has anyone here heard of this or know why I might have been told this by a CCW instructor?
    CCW instructors do not condone OC, that's why they teach CC. A lot of them are also gunstore commandos who will tell you all these inane war stories about how cops will shoot you if the see you OCing. Im working on 5 years OCing in Las Vegas with ZERO police calls or encounters.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    CCW instructors do not condone OC, that's why they teach CC. A lot of them are also gunstore commandos who will tell you all these inane war stories about how cops will shoot you if the see you OCing. Im working on 5 years OCing in Las Vegas with ZERO police calls or encounters.
    A broad stroke with the paintbrush, and inaccurate. Instructors teach because they have students. Some instructors may also include their specific viewpoint.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

wrightme wrote:
    Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    A broad stroke with the paintbrush, and inaccurate. Instructors teach because they have students. Some instructors may also include their specific viewpoint.
    Agreed - totally inaccurate.

When instructors disseminate such useless and WRONG info, they should be held to task.

Post imported post

They should also be called out and held accountable for doing this either by immediate correction and requesting them to "show you the money" or NRS in this case. Some instructors have an agenda sure most I would think don't. They should all be drug into the light when they are wrong for what ever reason and held accountable period.

It was explained to me that while open is legal there may be times when it is beneficial to conceal such as a place where they do not want firearms. Costco has signs and he's able to walk on by without missing a step. You won't be able to do that open. He even stated a preference for open carry under several situations including urban areas. CC and OC allowsflexability that was the message.