• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else told they cannot OC while weapon is loaded?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

LibertyandJustice4All wrote:
Several years ago, I took a CCW course where the instructor stated that, per NRS,a handgun could be open-carried so long as the gun was unloaded. He further explained that this meant the cylinders in a revolver needed to be completely empty, and a loaded magazine could not be inserted into a semi-auto. From everything I have seen here and read in the NRS, this is NOT the case (unless it is a longarm)? Has anyone here heard of this or know why I might have been told this by a CCW instructor?
CCW instructors do not condone OC, that's why they teach CC. A lot of them are also gunstore commandos who will tell you all these inane war stories about how cops will shoot you if the see you OCing. Im working on 5 years OCing in Las Vegas with ZERO police calls or encounters.

wrightme

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Several years ago, I took a CCW course where the instructor stated that, per NRS,a handgun could be open-carried so long as the gun was unloaded. He further explained that this meant the cylinders in a revolver needed to be completely empty, and a loaded magazine could not be inserted into a semi-auto. From everything I have seen here and read in the NRS, this is NOT the case (unless it is a longarm)? Has anyone here heard of this or know why I might have been told this by a CCW instructor?
CCW instructors do not condone OC, that's why they teach CC. A lot of them are also gunstore commandos who will tell you all these inane war stories about how cops will shoot you if the see you OCing. Im working on 5 years OCing in Las Vegas with ZERO police calls or encounters.
A broad stroke with the paintbrush, and inaccurate. Instructors teach because they have students. Some instructors may also include their specific viewpoint.

varminter22

imported post

wrightme wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
A broad stroke with the paintbrush, and inaccurate. Instructors teach because they have students. Some instructors may also include their specific viewpoint.

Agreed - totally inaccurate.

When instructors disseminate such useless and WRONG info, they should be held to task.

gunrunner1911

imported post

They should also be called out and held accountable for doing this either by immediate correction and requesting them to "show you the money" or NRS in this case. Some instructors have an agenda sure most I would think don't. They should all be drug into the light when they are wrong for what ever reason and held accountable period.

It was explained to me that while open is legal there may be times when it is beneficial to conceal such as a place where they do not want firearms. Costco has signs and he's able to walk on by without missing a step. You won't be able to do that open. He even stated a preference for open carry under several situations including urban areas. CC and OC allowsflexability that was the message.