• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper Town Council -- This fired me up.

DeadCenter

imported post

I was at this meeting. This guy should not be allowed to write. He has no idea what he is talking about.He is insulting, ignorant and a complete ass.

DC

http://www.starexponent.com/cse/news/opinion/columnists/article/town_council_trick_or_treat/21368/

Gordon Meriwether
Published: September 17, 2008

When I went to Town Council Tuesday past, my intent was to offer in public forum an idea to close West Street on Halloween evening in the interest of protecting the young trick-or-treaters from our normal heavy traffic. That was immediately sent to the Public Safety Committee for discussion.

Whether it passes or not, the real trick-or-treaters of that Tuesday evening were my fellow public forum presenters. They were there at the Town Council meeting to oppose an ordinance our chief of police proposed to not allow the discharge of a firearm in the town limits. These trick-or-treaters were not town residents. They were mostly from northern Virginia. (I don’t guess the treats are as good in Sterling, Vienna, Fairfax and Fredericksburg as they are here in Camelot.)

Following my brief appeal for the safety of the children, they rose one at a time and pleaded their case that the laws on the books were certainly sufficient to ward off any potential unsafe firearm discharge in the town limits. And if to fulfill their role as trick-or-treaters, they played dress-up for all the room, especially the Town Council members, to see. They were all brandishing firearms on their hips.

The first speaker proudly announced his credentials as a former Marine and dubbed our Town Council meeting as the safest room in Virginia, presumably because he and his colleagues were armed and ready to repel any potential evildoers from disrupting the proceedings, be they immigrants, truants, terrorists, ground hogs or leftover communists.

One by one, the remaining trick-or-treaters stood at the podium with the symbol of their manhood proudly strapped to their right hip. I will offer that the two Culpeper County presenters were not armed and spoke of the consolidation and the impact the new ordinance would have on the county farmers when the consolidation takes place. (Here’s another reason to fight the consolidation — all these liberal laws on the town books.)

Of course, after the bold and eloquent speeches of our self-anointed protectors, council defeated the ordinance. The northern Virginia Bubbas (all white males) quickly exited the chamber to celebrate another intimidation gone well.

Their unintended consequence was to light my fire to ban weapons from Town Council proceedings. Wearing their guns into my town and into my town’s council meeting is not only ridiculous, but also just downright rude. It serves no purpose but to intimidate.

I grew up in the Deep South among hunters, and I can’t think of one occasion that anyone was ever rude enough to wear a sidearm into a neighbor’s home. These trick-or-treaters felt it in our best interest to wear their weapons in our government home to oppose legislation that they have in their home counties.

Do you think the good people of Vienna, Va., allow the discharge of a firearm in the town limits? Allowing the wearing of weapons of any kind, whether boldly displayed or concealed, should be banned from all government meetings including public hearing on this matter (law enforcement excluded).

These bullies of the Potomac, no matter how rude or misguided, have done us a favor. They drew the attention to our vulnerabilities. I accept that guns have their place in our culture and history, but they do not have their place in our halls of democracy. I urge our Town Council to step up and pass an ordinance to ban firearms from legislative sessions, committee meetings and public hearings.

With the Virginia General Assembly ready to fight every imagined or real anti-gun law, our elected officials may wring their hands with hopelessness of the cause, but it’s the right thing to do.

Guns have no place in our Town Council meetings. Their only possible non-violent use is intimidation … intimidation of the members of the Town Council, of you and of me.
On Tuesday night, I was not intimidated, I was offended. I did not feel safe, but threatened. Thank God our chief of police was there to protect us.

Gordon Meriwether is an independent columnist who lives in Culpeper. He appears every other Thursday in the Star-Exponent. E-mail:

//';l[1]='a';l[2]='/';l[3]='';l[29]='\"';l[30]=' 116';l[31]=' 101';l[32]=' 110';l[33]=' 46';l[34]=' 114';l[35]=' 101';l[36]=' 119';l[37]=' 111';l[38]=' 112';l[39]=' 114';l[40]=' 97';l[41]=' 116';l[42]=' 115';l[43]=' 64';l[44]=' 114';l[45]=' 101';l[46]=' 104';l[47]=' 116';l[48]=' 101';l[49]=' 119';l[50]=' 105';l[51]=' 114';l[52]=' 101';l[53]=' 109';l[54]=':';l[55]='o';l[56]='t';l[57]='l';l[58]='i';l[59]='a';l[60]='m';l[61]='\"';l[62]='=';l[63]='f';l[64]='e';l[65]='r';l[66]='h';l[67]='a ';l[68]='= 0; i=i-1){
if (l.substring(0, 1) == ' ') document.write("&#"+unescape(l.substring(1))+";");
else document.write(unescape(l));
}
//]]>

meriwether@starpower.net

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Their unintended consequence was to light my fire to ban weapons from Town Council proceedings. AND...
I urge our Town Council to step up and pass an ordinance to ban firearms from legislative sessions, committee meetings and public hearings.

Guess he needs to read the Code of Virginia. Specifically § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

YaThink?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The pen may be mightier than the sword - in this case it is mighty ignorant.

Typical name calling, lack of legal knowledge, feel good piece - no I stand corrected, it demonstrates exceptional stupidity !

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

After reading his article, I too felt more than a little perturbed at this man. Here's an email that I just sent to him:

I tend to get all fired up when its lunch time and I'm hungry....

Dear Mr. Meriwether,

I just read with great interest the article discussing your thoughts on the individuals carrying firearms into the Culpeper Town Council meeting. I always enjoy the works of members of the fourth estate when they display their ignorance in a given topic for all the world to see.
You see Mr. Meriwether, the armed citizens that presented their views that evening were not there merely for your amusement. They were there, because all too often in Virginia, local governments attempt to pass more restrictive laws than what the state laws require regarding firearms. You would fall in line with that erroneous government thought process since you believe that "allowing the wearing of weapons of any kind, whether boldly displayed or concealed, should be banned from all government meetings including public hearing on this matter".Please let me introduce you to the Code of Virginia, specifically a statute known as§ 15.2-915, which makes it illegal for a local jurisdiction such as Culpeper to pass any such law. If you had your way, you would ask your elected officials to knowingly violate state law in this matter.
While I was not in attendance that evening, I applaud the citizens who came from afar to stand up for the rights of Culpeper's citizens. You sir, should be ashamed of your labeling of these citizens as "trick or treaters brandishing firearms". Brandishing a firearm is a criminal act in Virginia. Are you accusing these folks of having committed a crime that evening or are you merely tossing around words like 'brandishing' in an incendiary and inflammatory attempt to sway public opinion in your favor?What these people did was openly "carry"a handgun, a right not only granted to them by the Second Amendment but also an act that is deemed perfectly legal in Virginia by omission of any law prohibiting it. When you have a free moment, I highly recommend reading a good book, like the Code of Virginia. You may learn a thing or two.

Regards,

James A. Reynolds
President
Proactive Shooters, LLC

cREbralFIX

imported post

Good response ProActive! Maybe you should post it in the comments section of the article.

vrwmiller

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
After reading his article, I too felt more than a little perturbed at this man. Here's an email that I just sent to him:

Dear Mr. Meriwether,

I just read with great interest the article discussing your thoughts on the individuals carrying firearms into the Culpeper Town Council meeting. I always enjoy the works of members of the fourth estate when they display their ignorance in a given topic for all the world to see.
You see Mr. Meriwether, the armed citizens that presented their views that evening were not there merely for your amusement. They were there, because all too often in Virginia, local governments attempt to pass more restrictive laws than what the state laws require regarding firearms. You would fall in line with that erroneous government thought process since you believe that "allowing the wearing of weapons of any kind, whether boldly displayed or concealed, should be banned from all government meetings including public hearing on this matter".Please let me introduce you to the Code of Virginia, specifically a statute known as§ 15.2-915, which makes it illegal for a local jurisdiction such as Culpeper to pass any such law. If you had your way, you would ask your elected officials to knowingly violate state law in this matter.
While I was not in attendance that evening, I applaud the citizens who came from afar to stand up for the rights of Culpeper's citizens. You sir, should be ashamed of your labeling of these citizens as "trick or treaters brandishing firearms". Brandishing a firearm is a criminal act in Virginia. Are you accusing these folks of having committed a crime that evening or are you merely tossing around words like 'brandishing' in an incendiary and inflammatory attempt to sway public opinion in your favor?What these people did was openly "carry"a handgun, a right not only granted to them by the Second Amendment but also an act that is deemed perfectly legal in Virginia by omission of any law prohibiting it. When you have a free moment, I highly recommend reading a good book, like the Code of Virginia. You may learn a thing or two.

Regards,

James A. Reynolds
President
Proactive Shooters, LLC
It's always good to see good citizens confront misinformed, misdirected, or just plain igorant citizens and spreading the truth.

This may just be semantics, but the difference between the two are great. The bolded text above is what I am referring to. It's important to make the distinction that the 2A does not grant us the right to K&B arms, it protects a natural right.

ProShooter

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Dear Mr. Meriwether,

Regards,

James A. Reynolds
President
Proactive Shooters, LLC
It's always good to see good citizens confront misinformed, misdirected, or just plain igorant citizens and spreading the truth.

This may just be semantics, but the difference between the two are great. The bolded text above is what I am referring to. It's important to make the distinction that the 2A does not grant us the right to K&B arms, it protects a natural right.
Semantics....I could have possibly phrased it better, but I think everyone understands my meaning.....like I said, I'm hungry and I get moody when I'm hungry :)

DeadCenter

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Dear Mr. Meriwether,

Regards,

James A. Reynolds
President
Proactive Shooters, LLC

Please send this to the paper for print in response to his writings.

DC

ProShooter

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Dear Mr. Meriwether,

Regards,

James A. Reynolds
President
Proactive Shooters, LLC

Please send this to the paper for print in response to his writings.

DC
I may just do that....