• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

YouTube bans knife and gun videos

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?YouTube_bans_knife_and_gun_videos&in_article_id=314919&in_page_id=34

YouTube bans knife and gun videos
Thursday, September 18, 2008

YouTube has moved to stem growing concern that its website glamourises violence by banning videos featuring weapons.

The Google-owned video-sharing site has decided to introduce the ban for the UK only amid widespread unease about the increase in knife crime in the country.
It says that any video which is clearly "showing weapons with the aim of intimidation" will be taken down from the site.

Not all such videos will be removed immediately, however, as the ban will not be retrospective and any offending footage already on the site will need to be reported again.

"We recognise that there has been particular concern over videos in the UK that involve showing weapons with the aim of intimidation, and this is one of the areas we are addressing," a YouTube spokesperson said.

The move has been welcomed by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith as a "real step forward" and she encouraged other sites to take similar action.

"I would like to see other internet service providers follow suit to reinforce our message that violence will not be tolerated either on the internet or in the real world," she said.

Today's announcement follows a cross-party report by MPs this summer which warned that the internet had a "dark side" from which users need to be protected against.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

More censorship - shall we ban books too? Oh I forgot, they have already rewritten the history books.

Yata hey

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How about a link to non-uk video.
I've never seen an intimidating gun/knife video.
Just people shooting targets and other plinker objects.

Guess that knife with the revolve in handle would need extra special banning!
:banghead:

Or did UK youtube have the bobby who left the gun in restroom video? Gasp that
was scarry!!!

FogRider

imported post

Today's announcement follows a cross-party report by MPs this summer which warned that the internet had a "dark side" from which users need to be protected against.
Yep, just close your eyes and pretend it's not there, maybe it will just go away.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I really hope they don't bring this ban across the pond, there is some really great firearm content on YouTube.
Ssssssssh.

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ya know, I thought each of us had the ability to censor material that we don't want to view. Like the on/off switch or channel select on the radio/TV, the mouse clicker on our computer. Are we to believe that the Brits don't know how to use these items?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Ya know, I thought each of us had the ability to censor material that we don't want to view. Like the on/off switch or channel select on the radio/TV, the mouse clicker on our computer. Are we to believe that the Brits don't know how to use these items?
It's being done for their own good. Think of the children. It's not brainwashing; it's limiting their education to approved material. :cry: It's a controlled feeding of pap!

It's happening here in the good old USA too. History books limit or delete reference to the Holocaust, zero tolerence has gone so far that toodlers with be punished for drawing stick figures shooting. Just clean non-frightening, edited/white washed dogma is permitted.

"If we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it."

Yata hey

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Nanny statism at its worst or perhaps it is to cover up out of control criminal gangs.
I guess the following story is being used to justify the action.

http://tinyurl.com/4n4mry
Alex Watts, Sky News Online
Police are hunting a gang who filmed themselves terrifying motorists with an AK47 rifle.
15103180.jpg

The yobs - who recorded the disturbing footage on mobile phone and posted it on YouTube - are seen laughing as one screams: "I kill you all!"
The clip, posted by someone with the user name fittysmiffy, takes place in a country road lined with luxury houses.
The 55-second video - said to have been taken in High Wycombe, Bucks - was spotted after YouTube vowed to ban videos featuring weapons.
The Google-owned site introduced the ban for the UK only amid widespread unease about gang violence on Britain's streets.
It said any video clearly "showing weapons with the aim of intimidation" will be taken down, and Home Secretary Jacqui Smith hailed the move as a "real step forward".
However, YouTube has pointed out that the ban is not retrospective, and videos like this one posted prior to the change will only be removed if reported now.

Video Posted On YouTube The footage - which is being investigated by detectives at High Wycombe police station - begins with a gangly youth walking down a garden path.
He has a scarf pulled over his face and is brandishing what appears to be a folding butt AK47 rifle.
His friends egg him on as he walks out into the road and points the weapon at an oncoming car.
Another gang member shouts out: "I kill you all - I kill you now!" as the terrified driver spots the rifle.
The youth points the gun at another car, which screeches to a halt. The gang then run from the scene, laughing.
Examining the footage, arms expert Justin Bosanquet said: "The weapon appears to be a folding butt AK-47 or AKM variant.
"The 7.62mm x 39mm round it fires would pass easily through any car door or window, killing the occupant.
"The folding butt version was the most popular with paramilitary groups like the IRA because it is most concealable."

Statesman

imported post

longwatch wrote:
His friends egg him on as he walks out into the road
ROFL!!!

What a bunch of royal tards. The only thing more disturbing than these tards scaring the hell out of motorists, is that the British police state is most likely to declare their status under the soon to be universal term for common crimes, "terrorists", and extinguish due process. Off to Guantanamo Bay for you.

Frankly, I didn't know they had gangs.

Tomahawk

imported post

Isn't google the same company that rolled over for the censors in China?

If it happens here, there will suddenly be an opening for youtube's competitors. I love the free market (while it lasts, Paulson and Bernanke).

ODA 226

imported post

If someone pointed an AK at mewhile I was driving towards him, he'd become instant "ROAD PIZZA" if I could run him over.

I had this happen twice to me, once during the war in Croatia and once during the problems in Macedonia. Both times, I accelerated and swerved into them when I saw the threat and both times just narrowly missed the SOB's.

I was never shot at and when the BG's realized my car was badder than their pistol and AK, all they could do was to dive into the ditch to avoid getting obliterated by my Pajero. And for the record, yes, I was trying to kill the SOB's!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
If someone pointed an AK at mewhile I was driving towards him, he'd become instant "ROAD PIZZA" if I could run him over.

I had this happen twice to me, once during the war in Croatia and once during the problems in Macedonia. Both times, I accelerated and swerved into them when I saw the threat and both times just narrowly missed the SOB's.

I was never shot at and when the BG's realized my car was badder than their pistol and AK, all they could do was to dive into the ditch to avoid getting obliterated by my Pajero. And for the record, yes, I was trying to kill the SOB's!
Sight alignment and trigger control will improve your score.

No excuses, no alibis - all shots are "for the record." :)

Yata hey

CoonDawg

imported post

longwatch wrote:
That right there frightens me to no end.

Knife violence is up, eh? What next, are they going to ban steak knives now? When criminals start using hammers to kill people, are they going to shut down hardware stores to the public?

It is simply irrational fear. Many Europeans so much want to be safe that they will vote themselves right into oblivion. They'll even vote for people who will "protect" them against outside influences. That reminds me of something, yet I can't quite put my finger on it... :quirky

ballester

imported post

it is so sad..it truely is...sigh but hey u know if there are no guns or other scary stuff then well we all live in peace for ever...wasnt that tried once or twice...whoa gotta stop almost had to call a godwin on myself.:uhoh:..but for real...the punks need to be caught and punished..maybe even broadcast it on youtube...but i for one hardly find people launching milkjugs into orbit with high powered tools and toys offending...down right entertaining maybe...offensive..never

zperrego91

imported post

I hope this doesn't spill over to the U.S. I have a video of me shooting some milk jugs with my Remmy 700 sniper rifle and I am going to upload it soon. Technically it isn't in "an intimidatingmanner" so maybe I canslip by. ;)

KBCraig

imported post

zperrego91 wrote:
I hope this doesn't spill over to the U.S. I have a video of me shooting some milk jugs with my Remmy 700 sniper rifle and I am going to upload it soon. Technically it isn't in "an intimidatingmanner" so maybe I canslip by. ;)
If you keep calling it a "sniper rifle", that's intimidating to some folks, enough to call for bans.

Q: What's the difference between a sniper rifle and a hunting rifle?
A: P.R.