• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Automated phone-in recording system.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Theseus wrote:
I am not completely positive, but all you would really need is a modem, sound card, internet connection.

Maybe we can get ahold of the free staters'? They are most likely willing to help us set one up. But for ease of convenience, perhaps toll-free...
It's a bit more complicated than that, I'm sure. Especially if we want the system to automatically send out notifications that new audio is inbound.

I'm already in contact with my fellow Free Staters, and will post details here as soon as I have them.

I like the idea of a toll-free number. In NH I think there is only 1 area code for the entire state. CA has something like 10 of them I think; maybe more. This will be an increased cost, but I think it would be well worth it.

J.A.G.

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Theseus wrote:
I like the idea of a toll-free number.  In NH I think there is only 1 area code for the entire state.  CA has something like 10 of them I think; maybe more.  This will be an increased cost, but I think it would be well worth it.

You are correct, NH has only 1 area code for the entire state. CA only has 10? It has to have more than that... shit, LA County has at least 5, no?

I think this is a step in a great direction. This type of audio can be very valuable if someone is confronted and the situation goes bad.

MrSigmaDot40

imported post

I was thinking about this idea a while back too. I'll look into it as well. It really shouldn't matter what area code it is if that turns out to be the cheapest/best route over a 1-800 #. If you are calling it, you are possibly being illegally harassed so how much it is a min should not matter.

MrSigmaDot40

imported post

Hows This:

1-206-600-2411

Really Call it :celebrate

EDIT: No alert system but certain people canbe given the passcode by way of voteand check the system regularly.

cato

imported post

MrSigmaDot40 wrote:
Hows This:

1-206-600-2411

Really Call it :celebrate

EDIT: No alert system but certain people canbe given the passcode by way of voteand check the system regularly.

For how long does it save messages and how long can one record before it cuts you off (if at all)? Somedetentions could last an hour or more.

I don't think we need an alert system exactly. It's not like any of us could walk down the block and witness what's going on, but rather a place where audio could be retrieved later to prove your statements are true.

Key things you want to document are:

"I do not consent to any searchesbut I am willing to obey all lawful orders."

"I'm I being detained? Am I free to go?"

If your firearm is inspected add such verbal descriptions for the tape like, "So, officer youDO seethat my openly holsteredgunis unloaded, right?" Hopefully you'll get an admission by the officer on tape that he sees thegun is unloaded, in an open holster etc...

"You can see that it is unloaded. I want to go now...I don't consent to a wants/warrants check of my gun's serial number or ofmy name."

Be polite and add a few "Sir"s in there too. Use your digital recorder as primary and the cell phone as back up (might not always be able to activate the phone and reaching into a pocket while being detained for a firearm loaded check (12031e PC)is not advised).

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cato wrote:
Use your digital recorder as primary and the cell phone as back up (might not always be able to activate the phone and reaching into a pocket while being detained for a firearm loaded check (12031e PC)is not advised).
Definitely don't do anything like that once you have guns pointed at you. However, if you are aware of your surroundings you should have plenty of time to start the audio rolling before this happens.

For example, in my incident I was reading a book, but was still aware enough of my surroundings to have enough time to put the receipt in my book as a bookmark and then activate my recorder... and even then sat there for several seconds while the officers positioned their vehicles behind mine.

(Note: I normally have my recorder running at all times while in public. However, on this extended outing I opted to conserve the battery power. I very strongly suggest you have your audio going at all times if practical.)

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Not sure how "computer savy" you guys are but, here http://www.trixbox.org/ is a complete PBX system that runs on computer.
Seems highly adaptable from what I can see....it handles VoIP calls as well as "land line" calls...and handles voicemail too.
And, the best part...it's free for download.

Not sure if it will do what you want...just something to look into.