• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Publicity

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Trash pick-ups have proven very effective in the New England area.

IMHO - they are perhaps more effective than OC dinners in that the exposure is much greater - lower in calories too.

This is something that I would really love to see get started here - maybe we could start with the capital grounds or your local city hall area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKfvEczmXmE

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Not a bad idea. Why not set a date and signup thread for a Richmond Cleanup?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There has been some talk locally and I do think it is worthy.
We'll see what we can do.

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

Get yourselves a wood dowel with a nail hammered in the end, which then has the head cut off and sharpened to a point. Makes it a lot easier to pick up paper items without having to bend over. It's difficult to bend something at the thickest point, if you know what I mean :D.

You might also want to scout out a particularly trashy park to clean up. Sounds like fun but I will not be able to join you being where I am.

vrwmiller

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Need to find out if permit is required et cetera.

Yata hey
If a permit is required to be a responsible citizen and member of the local community at a public facility, then we have strayed even further off the path of liberty than I have anticipated.

I say forget the whole process of checking into a permit. Just show up at a public park in the local communities and pick up trash. There should be no permit required to care for one's own community voluntarily.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
If a permit is required to be a responsible citizen and member of the local community at a public facility, then we have strayed even further off the path of liberty than I have anticipated.

I say forget the whole process of checking into a permit. Just show up at a public park in the local communities and pick up trash. There should be no permit required to care for one's own community voluntarily.
That's exactly what I was thinking...sad day when you need permission to clean up a public place for free.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

That's exactly what I was thinking...sad day when you need permission to clean up a public place for free.
I think he was getting at the concept that a large group of people may be considered a peaceful assembly which sometimes requires a permit.....that's how I read it anyway.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

I think he was getting at the concept that a large group of people may be considered a peaceful assembly which sometimes requires a permit.....that's how I read it anyway.
I understand the line of reasoning, I still think it's sad.

I do concede that it's probably worth checking into though...

2a4all

imported post

Why not take this a step further, and Adopt-A-Spot?

Those signs would compliment the OCDO Billboard nicely.

Just be sure that it doesn't encroach on the 1000' GFZA perimeter, so that those without CHP's can participate.

richarcm

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Trash pick-ups have proven very effective in the New England area.

IMHO - they are perhaps more effective than OC dinners in that the exposure is much greater - lower in calories too.

This is something that I would really love to see get started here - maybe we could start with the capital grounds or your local city hall area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKfvEczmXmE

Yata hey
I think anything that would associate you, locally, with some good charitable work would be helpful. Picking up trash, volunteering at a food bank, giving blood, etc. I think it is a great idea and could possibly be required in order to achieve the goal of desensitizing the misinformed. If anything is formed in NOVA I'd be willing to help. If SicSimperTyranis wants to as well I'd be willing to drive down to Richmond to help.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Any suggestions as to area - capital grounds? park area?(might want more visibility), Willow Lawn Dr?. Monument Avenue?, City or county?

Items we might want/need: orange vests (plastic). trash bags, vinyl gloves, truck (I have one) Signs

When: probably week-end day

Permit? Hope not but must check it out

Lets get some input going.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:

Just be sure that it doesn't encroach on the 1000' GFZA perimeter, so that those without CHP's can participate.

What 1000' GFZ - if you're referring to schools, that is no longer an issue. You can walk on the sidewalk right in front of one or drive up to the enterance w/CHP if you do not get out of your vehicle.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was enacted as section 1702 of the Crime Control Act of 1990 (Pub.L. 101-647, 18 U.S.C.§922(q)) on November 29, 1990.
It was subsequently declared to be an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution by the United States Supreme Court, and was therefore voided. This case, United States v. Lopez (1995), was the first time in over half a century that the Supreme Court limited Congressional authority to legislate under the Commerce Clause.

In any event, I can think of better places than in front of a school.

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Any suggestions as to area - capital grounds? park area?(might want more visibility), Willow Lawn Dr?. Monument Avenue?, City or county?

Items we might want/need: orange vests (plastic). trash bags, vinyl gloves, truck (I have one) Signs

When: probably week-end day

Permit? Hope not but must check it out

Lets get some input going.

Yata hey
I would think your best bet to make a favorable impression would be in a surrounding county. Preferably an area that has a high population of probable voters. The city is getting too liberal. I think you'd just be spinning your wheels trying to make an impression there.

On a weekend day I would personally spend my time around the southside or westend. It seems like people in Chesterfield and Henrico Counties would be your most impressionable and most likely to vote.

Anywhere near a shopping mall, grocery store or home improvement store would be a great place to be seen.

VaGunTrader

imported post

We have these in Dinwiddie. There's one guy who supervises...he open carries a pump shotgun. The other dozen or so guys who are always dressed in orange jumpsuits must be concealing, because I don't see their guns:lol:.

They get around in a short blue bus with the bars on the windows !!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

trx680 wrote:
We have these in Dinwiddie. There's one guy who supervises...he open carries a pump shotgun. The other dozen or so guys who are always dressed in orange jumpsuits must be concealing, because I don't see their guns:lol:.

They get around in a short blue bus with the bars on the windows !!

The same thought hit me. I thought we could get Thundar up here to be the Walkin Boss!:lol:

Grapeshot, the West end sounds good. It's certainly needs some publicity. Since Henrico owns the roads, it is a good idea to check with them, not so much for a permit, but they may prefer to collect the bags themselves.

2a4all

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:

What 1000' GFZ - if you're referring to schools, that is no longer an issue. You can walk on the sidewalk right in front of one or drive up to the enterance w/CHP if you do not get out of your vehicle.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was enacted as section 1702 of the Crime Control Act of 1990 (Pub.L. 101-647, 18 U.S.C.§922(q)) on November 29, 1990.
It was subsequently declared to be an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution by the United States Supreme Court, and was therefore voided. This case, United States v. Lopez (1995), was the first time in over half a century that the Supreme Court limited Congressional authority to legislate under the Commerce Clause.

In any event, I can think of better places than in front of a school.

Yata hey
I had this GFZ reference in mind.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/gun_free_school_zones.txt

revised Gun Free School Zones Act, enacted September 30, 1996.
Code:
Text of Conference Report on H.R. 3610
CONFERENCE REPORT ON H.R. 3610 
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 1997 
[CR page H-11743]
"(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to
possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects
interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

"(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a
firearm--

"(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

"(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to
do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under
law to receive the license;..."
Although it might still be argued under Lopez, I'm not ready to be a test case.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Had a brain hiccup regarding "revised Gun Free School Zones Act, enacted September 30, 1996." I agree that it will probably not stand the Lopez litmus test.

Not only are CHP holders exempt but apparently so too would I be if I carry a scratch built a gun. Refer to quote from revised GFZA: ....possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce.......

Yata hey