• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Publicity

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Not only are CHP holders exempt but apparently so too would I be if I carry a scratch built a gun. Refer to quote from revised GFZA: ....possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce.......

Yata hey
This is a tangential thought (fantasy) of mine, but I've often wondered if someone could start a business making some basic firearms here in VA, ENTIRELY of raw materials made or purchased here, with nothing from interstate commerce, then sell them only to Virginia residents . Seems to me such firearms could not be regulated by any Federal law since Congressional authority only extends to regulating interstate commerce. I'm probably missing something, or it would have been tried......

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Not only are CHP holders exempt but apparently so too would I be if I carry a scratch built a gun. Refer to quote from revised GFZA: ....possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce.......

Yata hey
This is a tangential thought (fantasy) of mine, but I've often wondered if someone could start a business making some basic firearms here in VA, ENTIRELY of raw materials made or purchased here, with nothing from interstate commerce, then sell them only to Virginia residents . Seems to me such firearms could not be regulated by any Federal law since Congressional authority only extends to regulating interstate commerce. I'm probably missing something, or it would have been tried......
I'm sure that you trust BATFE about as much as I do. IMO - they would simply make up a rule with our names on it! :?

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I'm sure that you trust BATFE about as much as I do. IMO - they would simply make up a rule with our names on it! :?

Yata hey
Your real snag would be the serial number that has to be affixed if it is sold. That's not an ATF Regulation, it's an IRS tax number that is administered by the ATF for them. You can make it and omit the number if it is for personal use. It's tax exempt then...but in order to sell it, you have to pay the manufacturers tax.

To get the details, call the ATF and have them send you the manufacturers handbook. It's free (nice of them)...

One way to do it is to make muzzleloaders. No...that's taxed too, Sportsmans tax.

hsmith

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
They can make anything they want "interstate commerce"

Remember how they ruled in the pot case? The fact the woman was GROWING HER OWN pot affected INTERSTATE COMMERCE because she would NO LONGER be buying from pot that could have COME FROM OUT OF THE STATE even thought IT IS ILLEGAL TO GROW!!!

While a grand idea, you won't get far with it with our gov't.

Neplusultra

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
They can make anything they want "interstate commerce"

Remember how they ruled in the pot case? The fact the woman was GROWING HER OWN pot affected INTERSTATE COMMERCE because she would NO LONGER be buying from pot that could have COME FROM OUT OF THE STATE even thought IT IS ILLEGAL TO GROW!!!

While a grand idea, you won't get far with it with our gov't.
That sounds like "FORCED" interstate commerce. Can that be?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's another idea as an alternative to the pickups

Get with one of those Mobil Blood Banks and see if they can schedule a date to park near a progun restaurant. Then rally the troops to meet there to give a pint and then go eat (while your waiting for the headswim to go away).

You can have a little fun with the technicians just before they stick you with the needle. Pet your firearm and say, "Now...... we ain't gonna hurt each other.... are we?"

:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

Get with one of those Mobil Blood Banks and see if they can schedule a date to park near a progun restaurant. Then rally the troops to meet there to give a pint and then go eat (while your waiting for the headswim to go away).

You can have a little fun with the technicians just before they stick you with the needle. Pet your firearm and say, "Now...... we ain't gonna hurt each other.... are we?"

I have heard story(s) about people being disallowed to give blood while carrying but cannot find source data - anybody?

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

I have heard story(s) about people being disallowed to give blood while carrying but cannot find source data - anybody?

Yata hey
Doesn't hurt to ask. Ya know, bikers use to have a really bad rep before they started doing toy and blood runs.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think the adopt-a-highway is a great idea. Not only does it require multiple cleanups (good for more exposure), we could have the sign say "adopted by www.opencarry.org."

That would be killer.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Need to find out if permit is required et cetera.

Yata hey

If it is a park - I doubt it. If it is a road - probably, but only so the county can get the signage out and schedule a truck to come by and pick up the bags.

Speaking of bags, the county provides the nice orange ones. If you want visibility (publicity)....

pourshot

Campaign Veteran

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
marshaul wrote:
I think the adopt-a-highway is a great idea. Not only does it require multiple cleanups (good for more exposure), we could have the sign say "adopted by www.opencarry.org."

That would be killer.

They won't "do" a web address.

Aw, that's a shame. Here in CA they will do it as long as your business name is your URL and you don't operate in a physical location. They make a big stink about how "almost no businesses qualify", but OCDO would actually do so quite handily.

It's always annoying to but up against the legal walls in Virginia that even California doesn't have... (This is a minor case, but when even CA has, for example, better self-defense law, I think Virginia needs work).

richarcm

imported post

pourshot wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Search for Red Cross. I posted three threads about them going anti-gun on the blood mobiles.

Part 1:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6883.html

Part 2:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/7828.html

Part 3:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/11886.html
Have some really eye catching and fluorescent tshirts printed up with a big picture of a gun on one side and the web address on the other side, go inside and eat, then go give blood....maybe carry an empty holster. Thats almost as good as OCing. Maybe even sponsor the blood drive so that everyone that walks past the bus sees that a gun group brought the blood drive to the restaurant.

Where there's a will, there's a way.....

Thundar

imported post

peter nap wrote:
The same thought hit me. I thought we could get Thundar up here to be the Walkin Boss!:lol:
Actually I was thinking of the Chesapeake Christmas Parade. We could have a float with a Valley Forge to Kandahar theme, open carrying long guns and pistols. It would give me a reason to by that Hawkins Rifle I've had my eye on.

Infidel

imported post

richarcm wrote:
pourshot wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Search for Red Cross. I posted three threads about them going anti-gun on the blood mobiles.

Part 1:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6883.html

Part 2:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/7828.html

Part 3:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/11886.html
Have some really eye catching and fluorescent tshirts printed up with a big picture of a gun on one side and the web address on the other side, go inside and eat, then go give blood....maybe carry an empty holster. Thats almost as good as OCing. Maybe even sponsor the blood drive so that everyone that walks past the bus sees that a gun group brought the blood drive to the restaurant.

Where there's a will, there's a way.....

Why not richarcm, it worked for the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus; heres the press link: http://www.concealedcampus.org/press2.htm

We could even check into see if any OC/CC students are in the local area to join us!