• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Active duty military heading to HI

VMI 1991

imported post

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I know that there are several members who are still on active duty in the military. I am about to detach from the Navy Staff in the Pentagon and transfer to PACIFIC FLEET HQ in Hawaii.

Between the Navy staff and PACFLT, I will be attending DLI-Washington for the Chinese language course of instruction, so I still have some time left.

Does anyone know what the regulations are for active duty military personnel regarding bringing firearms to Hawaii? I would be very grateful for any information you can provide.

ChronoSphere

imported post

I have a friend of mine who is a LCDR in the Navy in the seebees, currently stationed in Honolulu, and he moved there from Florida and I believe he took a couple of pistols and a pair of AR-15 carbines. I believe he has to have them stored at the armory on base, but I'll ask him what process he went through to get them into the state.

AnaxImperator

imported post

ChronoSphere wrote:
....I believe he took a couple of pistols and a pair of AR-15 carbines. I believe he has to have them stored at the armory on base....
......don't even get me started on that subject.....

verymad.gif

grumble.gif

pissed.gif

LEO 229

imported post

As I recall..... HI has restrictions on what you can have and you have a limited number of days to REGISTER them with the state.

No Machine guns, SBR rifles or shotguns, or silencers.... :cry:

mobeewan

imported post

In the late 80's I met someone who was aCanadian Naval officerthrough a friend that shoots competatively. The Canadian was stationed at the Norfolk Naval Base as some sort of liason with the US Navy. A few months later he got transferred to Hawaii. My friend got a letter from him. He said he had to keep his firearms in the base armory. I think he was able toshoot them at the base firing range, buthe had to sign them out then return them afterwards. He was also paying close to $2000 a month for a one room bungalow in town. He didn't think too much about living in "paradise".

ijusam

imported post

in the late 80s and early 90s I was stationed in HI. when I was there I only had a shotgun with me. I did have to register it within days of being on the island. as an officer I kept my shot gun in the unaccompanied officer housing and off base with me when I moved. there are several ranges on the Island of Oahu, and there is hunting available although I only hunted skeet. I do remember some of the other warrant officers had handguns in their residences and one carried a Grendel p10 in an ankle holster. looking back I imagine he probably did not have a CCW from HI, but I never inquired at the time.