• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flash: new internal UOC memo from Sacto Regional Terrorism Threat Assessment Center

rodbender

imported post

bwiese wrote:
Hi folks,

Any trivial errors/minor format changes are likely mine alone due to quick transcription and lack of OCR at hand. I did not want to post the fax image as that could reveal the fax machine used.
Could have just used white out on the fax used. It should only be on the edge.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

You apparently are not aware of the ability of modern forensics to discern a particular fax or copy machine.

bwiese

imported post

rodbender wrote:
could have just used white out on the fax used. It should only be on the edge.

longwatch wrote:
You apparently are not aware of the ability of modern forensics to discern a particular fax or copy machine.

Longwatch is correct, copy machines, fax machines and laser & inkjet printers all leave unique identifying marks. Scanners probably have their own perturbations too between different devices. Most are unintentional due to machine-to-machine variance or wear; some is intentional (embeeded masked data in output of quality inkjet printers).

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

bwiese

imported post

bwiese wrote:
"Any trivial errors/minor format changes are likely mine
alone due to quick transcription and lack of OCR at hand.
I did not want to post the fax image as that could reveal
the fax machine used

Reddknight wrote:
So this was completely retyped, and not scanned or cut/pasted? I'm curious because I saw a couple of misused/mispelled words and thought they might be deliberate. I wouldn't put it past an agency like this to leak a memo with different errors on each in order to set a "Canary Trap" to find where the internal leak is.

Yes, I typed it from a secondary or (likely) tertiary fax to me. I apologize for trivial errors; I was typing quickly so a misspelling/typo is entirely likely due to be mine. (I'm better at spelling/typing when I'm writing my own text rather than parrotting someone else's.) Also, for speed of releasing the memo (i.e., fast typing) I included a couple of abbreviations (PD instead of Police Department, etc.) used repeatedly. I may well have mixed use of single & double quotation marks too. Formatting was also lost because I obviously can't match the page layout/font/spacing in a forum posting.

And yes, 'canary traps' using variant phrasings/spellings/grammatical errors would be possible. Given that I knew of this memo's existence and prior dissemination and rough approximate content for several weeks beforehand - and given OC had been on the radar in very recent past,- I figured that wasn't the case and that this was an advisory statement mostly in the form of "um, this is weird, our pseudoauthority is being challenged, but we don't wanna get sued."

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

cato

imported post

4 posts from CGF-BWISE!!! :celebrateHey boys, were playin in the CA big time now!!! :D

Belcome Bill!!!

and a dancing OC monkey too! :monkey