• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting the community onboard with OC

scorpioajr

imported post

I begain to post this in response to another thread, and realized it was OT, so here we go:

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
...The State does not understand that a legaly owned citizen who carry's a firearm still will obey the States Laws so no shooting targets in the park unless they are armed..

I would have to agree with the above. It is unfortunate that the publicity that CRIMINALS get, has a negative 'overflow' effect on "legal gun owners/toter's". Of course THIS, probably, is the main reason why LE get MWAG calls with regards to OCing.

i think its GREAT that we (you all, so far) do get together and stuff like that. But tht is only showing support for our cause to each other. no one is seeing the interaction, no one is seeing the 'kindness', no one hears that we can put two sentences together. Why would they think any different?

Whats my big idea?? i don't think i have a solid one. BUT activities that involve the community, charitable actions, neighborhood watch programs. I DUNNO. But I think we should put a bit more effort in proving to the community that we (OCers) are good people, not to each other, we already know... i mean, thats just fluffin' egos, no?

Look: i'm not trying to insult ANYONE - Lets just actually DO something.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Man. I wish I was loaded with cash. Maybe we could find a gun-friendly business with deep pockets to help us sponser a community fund raiser for charity and serve up yummy hot food and have games and activities set up in a public park or some place like that for everyone and their kids to enjoy. All the while, we would be OC and hand out Utah Gun Law phamplets and cards with OCDO and UCC website info on them. We could also have booths set up for people who want to offer information on getting CCW permits and another booth where people can actually pick up and handle real guns (unloaded of course), under supervision, so those who have never even held a gun and don't know how one works can see how it feels to hold and examine the mechanics of its operation.

If we were able to get a sponser and organize something like that,and it becomes a smash hit with the public, maybe it could end up being an annual event that everyone looks forward to. Maybe the media will stop painting us all as psychotic lunatics after a few years of charity and good publicity.

It would be cool if somebody somehow was able to put together an e-mail database of all of Utah's OC and CCW people on OCDO & UCCso we could send out "All Points" notifications to everyone about events and stuff like that if we actually were able to organize and pull off our ideas like the one above.

I can see it now......Utah's Annual OC Charity Fund Raiser!!! :)

A TV ad would be awesome too, but we all know that somebody with a lotta cash is going to have to pull that one off. Again, this is just all talk though. Without cold hard cash, none of it is going to happen. I'm also one of those guys who can come up with some good ideas, but have no idea how to actually organize and pull it off. I don't know anybody with influence or with the resources and contacts to put the gears in motion even if we did have the money:(

Kevin

scorpioajr

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
..Utah's Annual OC Charity Fund Raiser!!!...

Geeez, i wish you would author novels...i swear i would buy each and every one!
-----------
ALL of the ideas you presented are possible, with the money of course. In terms of a 'low-budget' charitable action, maybe we could candy stripe a cancer ward or a trauma & burn victims ward, all the while: OCing. This is something we could contact the press about and they might take an interest. (if anything, it would make a positive impact on another's life)

Ya think Mr. Shurtleff would have anything helpful to add if one of us were to fire him an e-mail with our ideas? perhaps he knows some people with DEEP pockets?

Keep the ideas comin'! Something is bound to spark a fire! :celebrate

ScottyT

imported post

We tried to Adopt-a-Highway, but there was nothing available along the Wasatch Front.

We had kicked around the idea of doing a park litter pick up, but that never really got off the ground. I still think it is a great idea, but I will have ZERO free time for another couple months, as it is our busiest time of the year at work. If someone would organize it I would show up.

...I really wish we didn't have to worry about the damn school zone thing...

ainokea

imported post

thoughtpolice wrote:
Why did this one die? I thought 9mm had a good idea. Perhaps you OC guys could sponsor a tree for Festival of Trees. Thats a good cause for children at Primary Childrens and good exposure at the South Towne Expo Center, millions go to see the trees every year.
WOW! That is an excellent idea and from thoughtpolice to boot! I am speachless. :what: I vote that thoughtpolice gets the ball rolling on this and lets us know when and where so we can participate!

scorpioajr

imported post

ainokea wrote:
thoughtpolice wrote:
Why did this one die? I thought 9mm had a good idea. Perhaps you OC guys could sponsor a tree for Festival of Trees. Thats a good cause for children at Primary Childrens and good exposure at the South Towne Expo Center, millions go to see the trees every year.
...I vote that thoughtpolice gets the ball rolling on this and lets us know when and where so we can participate!
+1

scorpioajr

imported post

Waterboy_2.jpg

Matai

imported post

I love Primary Children's Hospital and I participate in their Christmas charity event every year. However, it is important to note that they have done their part in requesting that people do not carry weapons in the hospital. There's even a sign on the door "This is a place of healing, no weapons please."

They're polite about it and I'm not making anyone out to be a jerk over there or anything. I just want people to understand that if we want to OC while doing service for them, it will have to be at a location outside or away from the hospital.