Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Another point of view regarding the Culpeper Town meeting

  1. #1
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    From the other thread on this, I'm sure that you all read the email that I sent to the columnist at the StarExponent. A few minutes ago, I received an email from a woman using a Town of Culpeper email address. I'm unsure as to what her postion is but I found her email so entertaining that I felt the need to post it here. Obviously, she doesnt want anyone to harm the backyard pests that may nibble at her garden.....

    First, her email in italics, followed by my reply in bold.....enjoy the read...

    Hello,

    I read your representative'sletter in the StarExponent today.

    I support the right to protect oneself. Personally, I think only people who are extremely insecure, obsessed,or wacko need to collect semi-automatics and other numerous weapons of death; BUT, it's their choice.

    About the Town of Culpeper. I stopped walking in Yowell Meadow Park when the Town was forced to allow guns back in the park...where many young children, elderly and other non-violent, non-threatening people used to enjoy gathering. It IS simply a matter of time when someone will allow something to get out of hand and someone will be shot...I simply don't want to be there when it happens. Face it, it's not just the "good folks" who own weaponry.

    I do not think you should be allowed to shoot a firearm in such small lots as found in most Towns. There are many ways to get rid of pests to your backyard garden; you don't have to shoot them to get rid of them. It is NOT safe to use a firearm in a lot that may only be 8,000 square feet with homes, yards and children near by. No one wanted to take away the right to bear arms or protect themselves in their homes - that was stressed and in writing early on.

    I guess people get rabid about gun rights, which ever side they are on -- and perhaps commonsense is lost along the way - but, seriously, are you and your organization going to pay all the bills when that 1st incident occurs and someone is hurt/maimed/killed because one "little mistake" that can happen in such close quarters? No one knows what level of ability these individuals have with marksmanship, how much training they may or may not have, whether or not they know much about gun safety and how good or bad their peripheral vision is; and face it, I doubt the evil garden villian will simply sit still and wait to be shot. What guarantee is there that allowing this right to fire firearms in Town limits is safe now that the population has increased so dramatically over the last 5-6 years? Gone are the days of large green space and buffer areas.

    There are times when it IS appropriate and intelligent to say, "no" to being able to shoot your weapon; in backyards of Towns; thisis one of them. Again, no one wants to take your guns away from you -- we just don't want people firing them in such close quarters.

    The Town of Vienna does not allow this, nor do they allow shooting of bb/air guns. It's legal and permissible, and makes sense. Again - they don't forbid ownership -just trying to prevent a tragic accident.

    Thanks for your time.

    Bethany Sullivan





    Dear Ms. Sullivan,

    Thank you for your email. I appreciate your thoughts and comments. As a gun owner, I do own a few semi-automatic handguns. I'm not sure that you can say that I 'collect' them, and hopefully I'm not viewed as a 'wacko', to use a term from your email. I could potentially say that people who collect coins, stamps, and garden gnomes are also extremely insecure, obsessed and wacko, but then I'd sound as ridiculous as you did in yourhoplophobic assessment of gun owners.
    I do not know the history of the gun issue at Yowell Meadow Park that you speak of. I'm sure that rather than the Town being "forced to allow guns back in the park", it was morea matter of the Town being forced to follow the state law. I'm sure that you would not want your elected officials violating state law, now would you?
    By your own statements in your email "the park...where many young children, elderly and other non-violent, non-threatening people used to enjoy gathering. It IS simply a matter of time when someone will allow something to get out of hand and someone will be shot...Face it, it's not just the "good folks" who own weaponry" - I couldn't agree more. Wouldn't it be nice if there were law abiding citizens there with the means and ability to protect those innocent children, elderly, and non-violent people? Crime happens everywhere Ms. Sullivan, and good people have the right to protect themselves.
    We could debate gun rights all day. The point of my letter, and the purpose of those in attendance at the Town meeting is not to tell you how to kill garden pests. The purpose of their presence there that evening is greater than the discussion of how to eliminate mice from nibbling on your tomatoes. The point is that there is already a state law in place that addresses these things. Once we allow local government to start passing laws and ordinances more restrictive than state law, we give up certain freedoms. There is already a state law prohibiting jurisdictions from passing more restrictivelocal laws regarding firearms. If anything, the presence of those gun owners there that evening possibly saved the Town of Culpeper from future lawsuits and bad publicity by convincing them to make the correct decision not to pass the ordinance. Numerous localities across Virginia have been taken to task in recent months because of this issue.
    You asked me in your email whether we are prepared to pay all the bills when someone is hurt because of one little mistake.Let me ask you the same thing. If the Town of Culpeper bans guns at their meetings, as Mr. Meriwether suggested, and someone is assaulted, injured or killed because they were not afforded the right to defend themselves with their legally owned firearm, will the Town of Culpeper be prepared to pay all of the medical bills and lawsuits?
    You are correct in your assessment of gun ownersthat no one knows what level of ability they have with marksmanship, how much training they may have, whether they know much about gun safety, or or how good their peripheral vision is. The same statement and assessment could be made about vehicle owners. Should we ban all cars from being driven to Town meetings or within the town limits? Do you know how many more people are killed by cars than by guns each year? Have you been properly trained to operate your gas barbecue grill? Do you know how much danger an improperly handled and/or maintained propane cylinder can cause? Should be prohibitoutdoor cooking with anything other than charcoal or firewood?Did you attend a safety class and pass a proficiency test when you purchased that set of steak knives on your kitchen counter? The list is endless Ms. Sullivan.
    Again, the issue is not about shooting backyard pests, its about passing laws that do not need to be passed, and the possibility of freedoms being lost or limited due to the passing of these unnecessary laws.


    Regards,

    James A. Reynolds
    President
    Proactive Shooters, LLC

    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    People like him are MORONS who can't be reasoned with. Hoplophobia is a disease!

    Idiots with pens. You have more patients than I to attempt to reason!

  3. #3
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    The plot thickens.....

    From a brief internet search it seems that Ms. Sullivan is a secretary/spokeswoman for....

    are ya ready?

    The Culpeper Police Department!

    Guess all those cops that she works with who own semi-automatic weapons of death are insecure, obsessed and wacko!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    The plot thickens.....

    From a brief internet search it seems that Ms. Sullivan is a secretary/spokeswoman for....

    are ya ready?

    The Culpeper Police Department!

    Guess all those cops that she works with who own semi-automatic weapons of death are insecure, obsessed and wacko!
    Oh ho ho. Scandal! Covert intelligence operation UNCOVERED! (hyperbole, folks--maybe)

    Wasn't it the new police chief who was pressing for the ordinance?

    Quick, somebody FOIA for memos and e-mails between her and the chief discussing the ordinance and the issue.

    I got $5 says this is a planned campaign.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    The plot thickens.....

    From a brief internet search it seems that Ms. Sullivan is a secretary/spokeswoman for....

    are ya ready?

    The Culpeper Police Department!

    Guess all those cops that she works with who own semi-automatic weapons of death are insecure, obsessed and wacko!


  6. #6
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    As a former LEO, I'm a bit embarassed that a PD employee would act like this. Not to mention that her email was unsolicited in the first place.

    I'm thinking about a call to CPD about their employee's and spokeswoman'sofficial stance on wacko gun owners.....I say official since she sent it from a Town of Culpeper email address. I think gun owners everywhere are owed an apology. I even think that her fellow co-workers, the insecure, obsessed and wacko police officers of Culpeper are owed an apology.


    ETA - I just checked the CPD website and found this...






    If you feel that an officer or the department has not performed in a manner that you feel is correct or appropriate, please use the following message box to communicate with us. Please include: the incident that resulted in the interaction with the police, the date and time, your name and address, and the name of the officer(s) present, then press the send button.



    This feature is coming soon.



    Well now, how convenient!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  7. #7
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    As a former LEO, I'm a bit embarassed that a PD employee would act like this. Not to mention that her email was unsolicited in the first place.

    I'm thinking about a call to CPD about their employee's and spokeswoman'sofficial stance on wacko gun owners.....I say official since she sent it from a Town of Culpeper email address. I think gun owners everywhere are owed an apology. I even think that her fellow co-workers, the insecure, obsessed and wacko police officers of Culpeper are owed an apology.


    ETA - I just checked the CPD website and found this...






    If you feel that an officer or the department has not performed in a manner that you feel is correct or appropriate, please use the following message box to communicate with us. Please include: the incident that resulted in the interaction with the police, the date and time, your name and address, and the name of the officer(s) present, then press the send button.



    This feature is coming soon.



    Well now, how convenient!
    Please don't take it easy on these people. They'd pull a quick one on you in a heartbeat! People like me depend on people like you who are experienced and very well educated to take the podium and lead the fight. Your email to Ms. Sullivan was very well written. Thank you!!!

  8. #8
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    As a former LEO, I'm a bit embarassed that a PD employee would act like this. Not to mention that her email was unsolicited in the first place.

    I'm thinking about a call to CPD about their employee's and spokeswoman'sofficial stance on wacko gun owners.....I say official since she sent it from a Town of Culpeper email address. I think gun owners everywhere are owed an apology. I even think that her fellow co-workers, the insecure, obsessed and wacko police officers of Culpeper are owed an apology.


    ETA - I just checked the CPD website and found this...






    If you feel that an officer or the department has not performed in a manner that you feel is correct or appropriate, please use the following message box to communicate with us. Please include: the incident that resulted in the interaction with the police, the date and time, your name and address, and the name of the officer(s) present, then press the send button.



    This feature is coming soon.



    Well now, how convenient!
    Please don't take it easy on these people. They'd pull a quick one on you in a heartbeat! People like me depend on people like you who are experienced and very well educated to take the podium and lead the fight. Your email to Ms. Sullivan was very well written. Thank you!!!
    Thank you for the kind words....
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  9. #9
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Ms. Sullivan has replied to my email........

    I'll skip replying to your various attempts at sarcasm - at least with legal drivers, they are required to take courses and pass tests. The random individuals who want to shoot in small Town lots--what training do they have? That is what is scary - anyone can own a weapon who meets the few rules regulating this -- but no one is REQUIRED to be trained and licensed -- so no one is regulating the use and capability of these individuals.


    As far as meetings in Town Hall - the law enforcement officers who are there, sometimes more than the Chief, are good enough; however, that is not the issue I wrote to you about. While I think it is completely unnecessary to attend a public Town Hall meeting armed as a private citizen, especially in an area like this and not like NOVA, legally licensed individuals have that choice. To those who do not feel it necessary to carry a weapon, the negativeimpression of individuals carrying weapons who don't live/work here is understandable.


    And yes, there are people obsessed with collecting all kinds of stuff; fortunately, coins aren't deadly weapons, unless someone rolls them into a sock andtries to beatyou to death with them.


    My eldest son is a former Marine; I know how to handle a firearm even though I don't own one; I came from a military family; my son and his wife each own a handgun and my son has a couple re-enacting rifles. My76 year old Mother owns a 22 and another rifle.


    So, as you can easily see, I am not anti-gun ownership. I strongly believe, however, that guns do not belong everywhere simply because someone "can" carry it.


    That is where our difference in viewpoint will always remain. You will never comprehend my viewpoint, and that's okay.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  10. #10
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    Jim,

    Notice how her tone has changed in the second letter? FOIA everything and send it to the press.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  11. #11
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    She has taken a different approach now, hasnt she?


    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  12. #12
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    I just went to the CPD website and saw that there are 42 fulltime officers for a Town of only 15,000. That seems to be a fairly high LEO to citizen ratio.

    I also found that there were EIGHT Internal Affairs Investigations that were FOUNDED against CPD Officers in 2007. That means that almost 17% of that force were investigated and found to be guilty of professional misconduct.

    UNBELIEVABLE!

    I think that Chief has a serious problem on his hands and it's not from honest citizens carrying firearms. The problem is his own staff!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA, ,
    Posts
    689

    Post imported post

    I know that Philip sent a VCDL Alert on Thursday about the Culpeper Town Meeting article. I'm sure he's going to really love this thread.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    I don't think we should continue to use our 'training' as a reason we should be 'allowed' to carry. If we keep this up then they'll think we'd be ok with having a training requirement for OC or worse yet to even own a gun.

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    I don't think we should continue to use our 'training' as a reason we should be 'allowed' to carry. If we keep this up then they'll think we'd be ok with having a training requirement for OC or worse yet to even own a gun.
    That's part of why I don't use that as my argument when someone asks me about why I carry. Not all who carry openly have formal training, I'd bet. If it comes up in the conversation, I mention the training requirement as prerequisite to a CHL.

    Besides the "because I can't carry a cop" which I pretty much abandoned as too flippant for most of the inquiries I get, I use a couple of other lines. I ask women if they've ever been raped at knifepoint. That usually gets them thinking. Or I ask how long it took the police to arrive the last time they called 911.

    I make a point of saying bad guys prey on the weak and defenseless. Carrying a gun takes me out of that category, thus putting me in a position where I just might be able even to help someone else.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Gloucester Point, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    899

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wroe
    Dear Ms. Sullivan,

    Thank you for your email. I appreciate your thoughts and comments. As a gun owner, I do own a few semi-automatic handguns. I'm not sure that you can say that I 'collect' them, and hopefully I'm not viewed as a 'wacko', to use a term from your email. I could potentially say that people who collect coins, stamps, and garden gnomes are also extremely insecure, obsessed and wacko, but then I'd sound as ridiculous as you did in yourhoplophobic assessment of gun owners.
    I do not know the history of the gun issue at Yowell Meadow Park that you speak of. I'm sure that rather than the Town being "forced to allow guns back in the park", it was morea matter of the Town being forced to follow the state law. I'm sure that you would not want your elected officials violating state law, now would you?
    By your own statements in your email "the park...where many young children, elderly and other non-violent, non-threatening people used to enjoy gathering. It IS simply a matter of time when someone will allow something to get out of hand and someone will be shot...Face it, it's not just the "good folks" who own weaponry" - I couldn't agree more. Wouldn't it be nice if there were law abiding citizens there with the means and ability to protect those innocent children, elderly, and non-violent people? Crime happens everywhere Ms. Sullivan, and good people have the right to protect themselves.
    We could debate gun rights all day. The point of my letter, and the purpose of those in attendance at the Town meeting is not to tell you how to kill garden pests. The purpose of their presence there that evening is greater than the discussion of how to eliminate mice from nibbling on your tomatoes. The point is that there is already a state law in place that addresses these things. Once we allow local government to start passing laws and ordinances more restrictive than state law, we give up certain freedoms. There is already a state law prohibiting jurisdictions from passing more restrictivelocal laws regarding firearms. If anything, the presence of those gun owners there that evening possibly saved the Town of Culpeper from future lawsuits and bad publicity by convincing them to make the correct decision not to pass the ordinance. Numerous localities across Virginia have been taken to task in recent months because of this issue.
    You asked me in your email whether we are prepared to pay all the bills when someone is hurt because of one little mistake.Let me ask you the same thing. If the Town of Culpeper bans guns at their meetings, as Mr. Meriwether suggested, and someone is assaulted, injured or killed because they were not afforded the right to defend themselves with their legally owned firearm, will the Town of Culpeper be prepared to pay all of the medical bills and lawsuits?
    You are correct in your assessment of gun ownersthat no one knows what level of ability they have with marksmanship, how much training they may have, whether they know much about gun safety, or or how good their peripheral vision is. The same statement and assessment could be made about vehicle owners. Should we ban all cars from being driven to Town meetings or within the town limits? Do you know how many more people are killed by cars than by guns each year? Have you been properly trained to operate your gas barbecue grill? Do you know how much danger an improperly handled and/or maintained propane cylinder can cause? Should be prohibitoutdoor cooking with anything other than charcoal or firewood?Did you attend a safety class and pass a proficiency test when you purchased that set of steak knives on your kitchen counter? The list is endless Ms. Sullivan.
    Again, the issue is not about shooting backyard pests, its about passing laws that do not need to be passed, and the possibility of freedoms being lost or limited due to the passing of these unnecessary laws.


    Regards,

    James A. Reynolds
    President
    Proactive Shooters, LLC
    The red statement above is factually incorrect. If I read your statement correctly, I believe what you are reffering to is what we call "Preemption" around here. Preemption doesn't prevent jurisdictions from passing laws regarding the discharge of firearms which is what Culpepper tried to do.

    I'm not trying to justify what Culpepper attempted to do, only point out a factual error. Maybe I just mis-interpreted your statement?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    nova wrote:
    I don't think we should continue to use our 'training' as a reason we should be 'allowed' to carry. If we keep this up then they'll think we'd be ok with having a training requirement for OC or worse yet to even own a gun.
    That's part of why I don't use that as my argument when someone asks me about why I carry. Not all who carry openly have formal training, I'd bet. If it comes up in the conversation, I mention the training requirement as prerequisite to a CHL.

    Besides the "because I can't carry a cop" which I pretty much abandoned as too flippant for most of the inquiries I get, I use a couple of other lines. I ask women if they've ever been raped at knifepoint. That usually gets them thinking. Or I ask how long it took the police to arrive the last time they called 911.

    I make a point of saying bad guys prey on the weak and defenseless. Carrying a gun takes me out of that category, thus putting me in a position where I just might be able even to help someone else.
    That makes sense. I myself do not have a VA CHP, so when I carry here in VA, it's OC. I never had "formal training" other than the basic firearms safety course I took to meet the requirement for Maine's non-res permit, but in reality, I actually 'learned' to shoot from my parents many years ago. Then after spending time on the internet reading about different techniques and such, I got to the point I am now. On top of this, I also had 'informal' trainingone dayby a Marine at the range I belong to who helped me with trigger control and breathing.

  18. #18
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    bayboy42 wrote:
    ProShooter wroe
    Dear Ms. Sullivan,

    Thank you for your email. I appreciate your thoughts and comments. As a gun owner, I do own a few semi-automatic handguns. I'm not sure that you can say that I 'collect' them, and hopefully I'm not viewed as a 'wacko', to use a term from your email. I could potentially say that people who collect coins, stamps, and garden gnomes are also extremely insecure, obsessed and wacko, but then I'd sound as ridiculous as you did in yourhoplophobic assessment of gun owners.
    I do not know the history of the gun issue at Yowell Meadow Park that you speak of. I'm sure that rather than the Town being "forced to allow guns back in the park", it was morea matter of the Town being forced to follow the state law. I'm sure that you would not want your elected officials violating state law, now would you?
    By your own statements in your email "the park...where many young children, elderly and other non-violent, non-threatening people used to enjoy gathering. It IS simply a matter of time when someone will allow something to get out of hand and someone will be shot...Face it, it's not just the "good folks" who own weaponry" - I couldn't agree more. Wouldn't it be nice if there were law abiding citizens there with the means and ability to protect those innocent children, elderly, and non-violent people? Crime happens everywhere Ms. Sullivan, and good people have the right to protect themselves.
    We could debate gun rights all day. The point of my letter, and the purpose of those in attendance at the Town meeting is not to tell you how to kill garden pests. The purpose of their presence there that evening is greater than the discussion of how to eliminate mice from nibbling on your tomatoes. The point is that there is already a state law in place that addresses these things. Once we allow local government to start passing laws and ordinances more restrictive than state law, we give up certain freedoms. There is already a state law prohibiting jurisdictions from passing more restrictivelocal laws regarding firearms. If anything, the presence of those gun owners there that evening possibly saved the Town of Culpeper from future lawsuits and bad publicity by convincing them to make the correct decision not to pass the ordinance. Numerous localities across Virginia have been taken to task in recent months because of this issue.
    You asked me in your email whether we are prepared to pay all the bills when someone is hurt because of one little mistake.Let me ask you the same thing. If the Town of Culpeper bans guns at their meetings, as Mr. Meriwether suggested, and someone is assaulted, injured or killed because they were not afforded the right to defend themselves with their legally owned firearm, will the Town of Culpeper be prepared to pay all of the medical bills and lawsuits?
    You are correct in your assessment of gun ownersthat no one knows what level of ability they have with marksmanship, how much training they may have, whether they know much about gun safety, or or how good their peripheral vision is. The same statement and assessment could be made about vehicle owners. Should we ban all cars from being driven to Town meetings or within the town limits? Do you know how many more people are killed by cars than by guns each year? Have you been properly trained to operate your gas barbecue grill? Do you know how much danger an improperly handled and/or maintained propane cylinder can cause? Should be prohibitoutdoor cooking with anything other than charcoal or firewood?Did you attend a safety class and pass a proficiency test when you purchased that set of steak knives on your kitchen counter? The list is endless Ms. Sullivan.
    Again, the issue is not about shooting backyard pests, its about passing laws that do not need to be passed, and the possibility of freedoms being lost or limited due to the passing of these unnecessary laws.


    Regards,

    James A. Reynolds
    President
    Proactive Shooters, LLC
    The red statement above is factually incorrect. If I read your statement correctly, I believe what you are reffering to is what we call "Preemption" around here. Preemption doesn't prevent jurisdictions from passing laws regarding the discharge of firearms which is what Culpepper tried to do.

    I'm not trying to justify what Culpepper attempted to do, only point out a factual error. Maybe I just mis-interpreted your statement?
    I see what you are saying, but my intent was that there is a law adressing firearms. I wasnt specifically talking about "discharge" but more to the fact that a law exists talking about firearms and we dont more local laws talking about firearms. I probably could have phrased it better....but I was on a roll.... She was so off the chart that I dont think it phased her anyway.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    That makes sense. I myself do not have a VA CHP, so when I carry here in VA, it's OC. I never had "formal training" other than the basic firearms safety course I took to meet the requirement for Maine's non-res permit, but in reality, I actually 'learned' to shoot from my parents many years ago. Then after spending time on the internet reading about different techniques and such, I got to the point I am now. On top of this, I also had 'informal' trainingone dayby a Marine at the range I belong to who helped me with trigger control and breathing.
    Well, you have the firearms safety course, which may be enough for a VA CHL when you're eligible.

    I personally am in the same boat as you. My father, an NRA-certified instructor in his later years, taught me to shoot when I was young. I can't remember when I wasn't able to shoot. My military career never even allowed me to fire a handgun, but because of my father's instruction, I didn't hesitate to use my DD214 for my permit.

    Those antis who want to hear about training want to know we spend time on the range, taking instruction, perfecting aim, etc..... as they imagine police do. Most who know anything about police know their firearms training is not that extensive, but then again, perception is reality.

    I figure it's just easier to find other talking points.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    ODA 226 wrote:
    I just went to the CPD website and saw that there are 42 fulltime officers for a Town of only 15,000. That seems to be a fairly high LEO to citizen ratio.

    I also found that there were EIGHT Internal Affairs Investigations that were FOUNDED against CPD Officers in 2007. That means that almost 17% of that force were investigated and found to be guilty of professional misconduct.

    UNBELIEVABLE!

    I think that Chief has a serious problem on his hands and it's not from honest citizens carrying firearms. The problem is his own staff!
    Or there are a few reall bad ones racking up the complaints.

    Either way, the management/administration obviously is not fixing the problem.'

    By the tone of the letters, it sounds like they are contributing to the problem, or at least are setting a very inappropriate tone for the department.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    "Hello,

    I read your representative'sletter in the StarExponent today.


    I support the right to protect oneself. Personally, I think only people who are extremely insecure, obsessed,or wacko need to collect semi-automatics and other numerous weapons of death; BUT, it's their choice. ...."


    I guess I am an obsessedwacko!!

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    I did not post a reply to that newspaper.

    Was you email published, or did she get it through 'other means?"


    ETA: I just looked, email addresses are NOT published in comments.

    Sounds like abuse of authority to me. Did she have a warrant to get your address?

  23. #23
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Our company name was listed. I'm sure a quick internet search yielded our contact form.

    The thing to remember here is that the "police dept" did not email me.A woman emailed me as a private citizen but she sent the email from a Culpeper government email address. A quick internet search yielded the info that she works for the police department. I think there is a difference there.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    I just looked at the mission statement for the Culpeper Police Department. (I was actually looking for a code of conduct for Culpeper employees.) Somehow, I can't see her e-mails to you as meeting some of their goals. If she uses a government computer and works with the department, you could reasonably believe she's supposed to be bought in to this statement.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  25. #25
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    I just looked at the mission statement for the Culpeper Police Department. (I was actually looking for a code of conduct for Culpeper employees.) Somehow, I can't see her e-mails to you as meeting some of their goals. If she uses a government computer and works with the department, you could reasonably believe she's supposed to be bought in to this statement.
    Yeah I suppose that you could say that she bent one or 2 of those

    Its a typical LEA mission statement. When I was working (back in the day), we were supposed to be "exemplary stewards of the public trust" and "sound protectors of the environment" or something....nice fluffy white cloud stuff. Its an accreditation requirement that you have a mission statement. Trust me, its not a creed that any employee plans on living by on a daily basis. It would be nice, but its not realistic.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •