• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another point of view regarding the Culpeper Town meeting

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I acknowledge this was the case prior to Tuesday's indiictments. But since 4 felony indictments have come down the pike, User may or may not be reviewing his decision to represent the cop. If the cop remains in jail without bond and without income, I suspect User will indeed revisit his decision to represent the cop. These felony indictments are going to occupy a lot of his time for the next year or two, and he may or may not be willing to do it for free.

Trust me, this is one of the major problems in our Criminal Justice System, being able to AFFORD the attorney of your choice. Attorneys will not work a case of this nature with the hope and promise of eventually getting paid. Suppose the cop goes to jail for 20 years, how will the attorney ever get paid?

If the cop is eligible, I suspect Hawes will tell him to seek a court appointed attorney. But, I have been wrong before. Maybe Hawes will work for free.

At this point I doubt he could qualify for a court appointed attorney. Since Dan is the current attorney of record, the judge may well appoint him the court appointed attorney, if he does manage to qualify.

As to what User would do....who knows but I know Dan well enough to say he isn't just going to drop him in the fire. He has too many scruples for that.

And yeah...that is a major flaw in our system. Justice for sale. A court appointed attorney is judicial suicide in a lot of cases but the good lawyers would like to be paid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blk97F150

More on Ms Sullivans charges...

http://www2.starexponent.com/news/2012/may/31/defense-attorney-culpeper-officer-feared-his-life-ar-1954837/

In indicting the officer Tuesday on the aforementioned charges, the special grand jury also indicted his mother, Bethany Sullivan, 55, of Orange on three felony counts of forging a public record and three counts of uttering a forged public record. According to court documents, the alleged forgeries occurred on April 30, 2008 and May 17, 2010.

Fisher at the news conference Tuesday said during the course of the special grand jury’s investigation into the shooting evidence came to light concerning Mrs. Sullivan’s role in forging the documents in an attempt to purge negative information from her son’s personnel record.

According to court documents, those records included the Town of Culpeper Police Department Entrance Exam and a town of Culpeper performance evaluation for the period of August 30, 2006 through August 30, 2007.