• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

lets say i buy a gun now...

Timmer

imported post

and they come along and ban it, would i have to turn it in? burry it in the back yard? could they get a warrent to search my house for it?

mkl

imported post

Timmer wrote:
and they come along and ban it, would i have to turn it in? burry it in the back yard? could they get a warrent to search my house for it?

Who knows. The previous assault weapon federal ban only stopped the manufacture of new "assault weapons" and everyone was free to keep their guns. IF there is a new ban it could be like that, or it could make it illegal to have guns period. Until new legislation is proposed, it's just a guess about what it would look like.
IF guns were illegal, they'd be like anything else, so of course they could get a warrant to search your house for it. Imagine the current war on drugs, but as a war on guns. The warrants would probably all be "no knock" since they suspect you are armed...

imperialism2024

imported post

Moral of the story... go buy some guns!

But yes, most gun "bans" in this country include grandfathering clauses for those who already own the guns to be banned. Mainly because anti-gunners know that at least a few gun owners will be happy to hand over their arsenals... ammo first.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Most likely they would allow owners to grandfather itin. That's what has been done with virtually all gun bans in the U.S.

That's whysupporters of antisalways say, "no one is going to take away your guns." They won't. They'll just make it illegal to buy guns or transfer guns, and make them illegal to carry. And they'll make them uncostly to shoot, and stored so safely that they are useless for defense.

LEO 229

imported post

How about the Street Sweeper??

This gun could be purchased and was by many people. Then it was classified as a NFA weapon.

So you had to register it with the ATF. Those in possession and in violation will get 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

You can still keep and bear arms.... but the constitution did not state which ones... :shock:

streetsweeper.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armsel_Striker

The Striker is difficult to procure in the United States of America as it has been labelled as a destructive device under the National Firearms Act with no sporting purpose by the U.S. Justice Department's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). [1][/suP]

The Government of Canada has classified the Striker, and all its variants and modified versions, as a "Prohibited Weapon," and therefore, it is illegal to procure or possess under almost any circumstances. [2][/suP]

TheMrMitch

imported post

I had a fella afraid of an upcoming reclassifying of his Street Sweeper and I bought it for $275 LNIB.

I then had it pre registeredas a DD free of charge. After the law took effect, and I'd had enough fun with it, I sold it to a dealer for $900. He was a collector and appreciated it more than I. Fine weapon and no regrets.:)

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
You can still keep and bear arms.... but the constitution did not state which ones... :shock:

streetsweeper.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armsel_Striker

The Striker is difficult to procure in the United States of America as it has been labelled as a destructive device under the National Firearms Act with no sporting purpose by the U.S. Justice Department's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). [1][/suP]

The Government of Canada has classified the Striker, and all its variants and modified versions, as a "Prohibited Weapon," and therefore, it is illegal to procure or possess under almost any circumstances. [2][/suP]

Just goes to prove what I always thought. The second amendment is about body parts and short sleeved shirts.

Statesman

imported post

Timmer wrote:
You wouldn't want to bury it in your back yard. Metal detectors + your property = possession charge. Burying guns is highly problematic at best, so anyone who buries firearms should familiarize themselves with proper modern caching techniques before attempting it. Frankly, I think it's a great way to keep guns out of the hands of children, criminals, and tyrants. :celebrate

I doubt many Americans would turn in their guns voluntarily. This isn't Canada.