Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Detained by NPD yet AGAIN!!!

Post imported post

I hope your sitting down with some popcorn and duct tape....

So...

I dropped off my car at the dealership in Chesapeake and decided to take the bus back to Hampton. I get on the first bus. No problems.

I get on the second bus and I'm questioned by the bus driver with "do you have a permit for that?". I replied, "I do have a permit to conceal, but there's no permit to carry in the open like this". I guess she did not believe me, because she asked me again. I gave her the same answer as if she didn't hear me the first time. I then slid my transfer slip and sat down. She then started to take off, but then stopped the bus to make a phone call. She then asked me "do you have a security badge?". I got upset and replied "does it look like I got a badge on?" (I've realized that might not have been the best answer, but at that point I was pissed at her).

So then we sit there and wait while she's on the phone. A rider asked her what's the hold up. She told him that we are waiting for the police. So 2 mins later, Norfolk's finest show up. I'm thinking, super, everything will be explained that it's legal and what not.

NOT!!!

So the 1st LEO steps on the bus and asks me to stand up, which I do. He walks over to me with his hand reaching for my firearm, which I leaned over to comply without a word. He then asks me to step off the bus. After we get off the bus, he tells me they got a call about a man with a gun (go figure), and I turn to my right and see MORE LEOs arriving.

The 1st LEO asks me, "do you have a permit to conceal?", I tell him, "yes". Then he goes about telling me that I should just conceal and how I've caused an "inconvenience" and such. I tell him that it's a beautiful day and I wanted to open carry. So he tells me again that it's not a good idea and what not.

So I guess he got tired of me and a Sargent started to talk to me, and I got frustrated because he was asking me the same damn questions. So at this point I asked if I was being detained, and they told me that I was being detained. I asked, "what crime am I being suspected of committing"? and he replied, "disorderly conduct".

At this point, I'm thinking WTF?!

They elaborated stating that I was causing a public inconvenience. So I told him to arrest me if that's the case. The LEO stated he didn't want to. I said to just write me a summons so I can see him in court. He didn't want to do that either. *sigh*

So I asked for a LT to be called. About less than a minute later, I guess one pulled up (I didn't think he was) and he started telling me that Norfolk has a code that one must show ID when asked by a LEO (or something similar). I told him to tell me the code so I can make a phone call and confirm it. He refused to tell it. I told him to contact the city attorney. He walks away leaving me with the "watch him" LEO.

Quick FYI - there about 5 responding LEOs, 1 whom was the LEO that had me at gunpoint from the police vid during the 1st downtown Norfolk incident. So I figured that he would clear things up. NOT!!!

So then they proceed to tell me that if I don't show ID, they will confiscate my firearm. I tell them "good, I'll just get it back along with the lawsuit" (I had my XD on, but if they took it, I would have put on my 1911 I had in my bag :P). They were explaining that I could be a felon or underage. Then he walks away and goes to the LEO huddle for 2 seconds, comes back, tells me that he giving me back my firearm and that I should conceal when the next bus comes and walks away.

So...

I got back to Hampton with NO problems whatsoever, get in my car, drive BACK to Norfolk to get some FOIA goodies (I forgot to ask for the police dashcams which I knew were running).

Thanks in advance for the funny comments I'll read later!!!

Dan the Black Man with a Gun

Post imported post

"I tell them "good, I'll just get it back along with the lawsuit" ".

That's probably what jogged the guy's memory, thus the huddle and the release.

THE POPOMAGNET STRIKES AGAIN. :celebrate:celebrateGlad it came out better than the first encounter though. I know........ just needed some more money, huh?

"bus ride to cash".... a new game show

Post imported post

Dan.... you seem to have the worst luck!!!

Post imported post

I am beginning to wonder if there is some inherent racism in the NPD and their practices.

Recorded?

Post imported post

Dan,

We really need to hang out more often...
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Did you have use another transit slip on the next bus? It sounded like first bus didn't wait around for you. :X

I might be wanting a bus pass thrown in with all this FOIA stuff.

I'd be tempted to carry a very nice, obviously expensive hangun in Norfolk.

When the cop asked me something about the gun. I'd tell him I used the money from the settlement to buy it. :celebrate

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I'm starting to think that we all need to meet up in Norfolk and just walk around all over the city.....bum rush 'em with MWAG calls.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

WTF?

It's time to start hitting these guys with lawsuits.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Dan.... you seem to have the worst luck!!!
    The cold hard reality is thathis ethnicity probably has something to do with it. "A black man? With a gun?!?! :what:Go get him!"

This crap has GOT to stop.

Post imported post

Note to self don't go with Dan to A.C. or Las vegas

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

NPD certainly is forming a wonderful case for a 'continued harassment' lawsuit......

Dan could say that they are harassing him because he got paid from the first complaint......
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:

When the cop asked me something about the gun. I'd tell him I used the money from the settlement to buy it. :celebrate
    I think Danbus should buy himself a new 24k Gold Desert Eagle in .50 AE caliber!!!

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    doug23838 wrote:

I think Danbus should buy himself a new 24k Gold Desert Eagle in .50 AE caliber!!!

better yet, make it tiger striped!

You'd think NPD would have had some education after the last incident.

Stay safe Dan and never give up!

Post imported post

Honestly Dan I really think the problem is that they are not use to seeing a black man with a gun.

At this point in time there is no excuse for any misconduct by LEO's in Virginia. This issue has been beaten to death.

It honestly seems that these cops were just racist and were uncomfortable with a minority carrying a gun.

For anyone who would contest that statement, then they just need to look at the facts. They threatened him with arrest for disorderly conduct, not showing ID etc. yet Dan stood his ground on ALL of these..... and nothing happened to him.

This shows that these NPD "public servants" are WELL aware of the laws in Virginia and they just wanted to see what they could get away with.

It's a shame.

I have often though about this regarding open carry. For what it is, I bet that a white man would have less of a problem overall with open carry then a minority would.... it's sad.

Post imported post

Dan, towards the end of your story, you refer to an officer discussing refusal to provide ID.

You didn't mention it earlier in the story, but were you asked to provide ID and you declined?

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    I am beginning to wonder if there is some inherent racism in the NPD and their practices.

Recorded?
    I agree.

What in the heck is going on down there?

Post imported post

So Dan:

Sorry to hear that you were hassled again. But I'd like to ask a couple of questions:

Why are you so confident of success in another lawsuit when Chet Szymecki (sp?) is having such a bad time with his?

Does your confidentiality agreement with Norfolk (from your earlier case) allow you to publicly state the complaint you (would have) filed? How is it similar (or different) than Chet's?

Does keeping you quiet (with cash settlements) give Norfolk some sort of strategic advantage with Chet's case?

You both have the same lawyer and are seeking redress against the same entity.

Best of luck!

Post imported post

Another good one! Although I do respect the law enforcement and have one in my family I do like to hear of them being put in their place.

Good job!

Post imported post

Seriously....you should have engraved on your carry weapon the following: "This gun was bought from the lawsuit won the last time a NPD officer arrested me for legally carrying a firearm. I am not a felon. Just a BMWAG."

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Well....here you go again Dan. This is like the last encounter though, I can't see where you did anything to bring it on yourself.

There does appear to be a serious race problem there! There also seems to be a serious anti gun issue also.

Hopefully, the dashcam audio will be usable. I assume you asked for any radio communications.

Keep us updated.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    NPD certainly is forming a wonderful case for a 'continued harassment' lawsuit......

Dan could say that they are harassing him because he got paid from the first complaint......
    Especially since one of the officers recognized him and initially said nothing.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:

Recorded?
    Yes Norfolk PD is racist. I was at the council meeting whenDan and Chet addressed them. There were several blacks that were also at the meetingmaking complaints about the heavy handedness of police in the black community. One kid was just sitting on his own front porch doing nothingand was approached by police wanting to know where he lived. Another was arrested and charged for obstruction of justice for refusing to give his SSN even after he identified himself to the shemale officer that was harrassing him. After the meeting I gave him and his mother a copy of the AG's opinion that I carry onme at all times stating that failure to identify was not obstruction. They had no idea that the arrest for obstructionwas illegal.

I kind of poopooed the DWB (driving while black) thing in the past. After seeing police gone bad videos from police car cameraswhen stopping someblacks and what I heard at the council meeting as typical behavior in Norfolk I have a change of mind.

With Dan it appears that we havecases of CWB (carrying while black).

Dan, were you wearing your BMWAG hat. You said you also had a 1911 in your bag. Will you be getting a new one that says "Black Man With Two Guns".
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I'm starting to think that we all need to meet up in Norfolk and just walk around all over the city.....bum rush 'em with MWAG calls.
    We could organize a bus in and ride several busses while open carrying. We could call it "Operation Dan Bus".

Post imported post

1. Has VCDL been notified?

2. Chet is having "problems" with his lawsuit only because the second amendment has not been incorporated (yet) and because he chose to sue n federal court over a federal issue. That has next to nothing to do with what hapened here.

3. I carry a voice recorder everywhere I go now, and am committed to not giving any officer any information about my identity unless I am in a car. I fully (and voluntarily)cooperated the one time I had an incident in Henrico a few years ago, but I am going to let the officer hang himself next time (all on tape). With that said, I have passed over 20 officers in the past two weeks in Henrico, Richmond and Alexandria with nary a word said while open carrying a Sig . 40. Most officers know the law.... only Norfolk seems to have a problem. Then again, I also am white.

4. Speaking of which.... I know you usually tape these things, Dan. Any chance you taped this interaction?

5. Dan: did you ever end up telling them your name?

6. It's understandable (and yes, I know... debateable) as to whether or not the officers had to "check things out" upon receiving the call from the bus driver. Personally, I accept why they would sometimes do so. My biggest issue is with the officer who thinks (or lies) saying there is some sort of ordinance requiring individuals to identify themselves... when it is settled Virginia law that there is no such requirement (when not driving). Also, with the officer who mentioned disroderly conduct...

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    We did this a day after Dans "gun to the head" encounter with NPD, in the evening for over two and a half hours, Chet even met up with us at Waterside. We walked all over downtown Norfolk - not one LEO approached us. It seems like they don't like witnesses....

Dan, it must be your personal magnetism!! I like the idea of educating the HRT folks, they have caused you problems more than once....

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast