• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained by NPD yet AGAIN!!!

danbus

imported post

I hope your sitting down with some popcorn and duct tape....

So...

I dropped off my car at the dealership in Chesapeake and decided to take the bus back to Hampton. I get on the first bus. No problems. :)

I get on the second bus and I'm questioned by the bus driver with "do you have a permit for that?". I replied, "I do have a permit to conceal, but there's no permit to carry in the open like this". I guess she did not believe me, because she asked me again. I gave her the same answer as if she didn't hear me the first time. I then slid my transfer slip and sat down. She then started to take off, but then stopped the bus to make a phone call. She then asked me "do you have a security badge?". I got upset and replied "does it look like I got a badge on?" (I've realized that might not have been the best answer, but at that point I was pissed at her).

So then we sit there and wait while she's on the phone. A rider asked her what's the hold up. She told him that we are waiting for the police. So 2 mins later, Norfolk's finest show up. I'm thinking, super, everything will be explained that it's legal and what not.

NOT!!!

So the 1st LEO steps on the bus and asks me to stand up, which I do. He walks over to me with his hand reaching for my firearm, which I leaned over to comply without a word. He then asks me to step off the bus. After we get off the bus, he tells me they got a call about a man with a gun (go figure), and I turn to my right and see MORE LEOs arriving.

The 1st LEO asks me, "do you have a permit to conceal?", I tell him, "yes". Then he goes about telling me that I should just conceal and how I've caused an "inconvenience" and such. I tell him that it's a beautiful day and I wanted to open carry. So he tells me again that it's not a good idea and what not.

So I guess he got tired of me and a Sargent started to talk to me, and I got frustrated because he was asking me the same damn questions. So at this point I asked if I was being detained, and they told me that I was being detained. I asked, "what crime am I being suspected of committing"? and he replied, "disorderly conduct".

At this point, I'm thinking WTF?!

They elaborated stating that I was causing a public inconvenience. So I told him to arrest me if that's the case. The LEO stated he didn't want to. I said to just write me a summons so I can see him in court. He didn't want to do that either. *sigh*

So I asked for a LT to be called. About less than a minute later, I guess one pulled up (I didn't think he was) and he started telling me that Norfolk has a code that one must show ID when asked by a LEO (or something similar). I told him to tell me the code so I can make a phone call and confirm it. He refused to tell it. I told him to contact the city attorney. He walks away leaving me with the "watch him" LEO.

Quick FYI - there about 5 responding LEOs, 1 whom was the LEO that had me at gunpoint from the police vid during the 1st downtown Norfolk incident. So I figured that he would clear things up. NOT!!!

So then they proceed to tell me that if I don't show ID, they will confiscate my firearm. I tell them "good, I'll just get it back along with the lawsuit" (I had my XD on, but if they took it, I would have put on my 1911 I had in my bag :p). They were explaining that I could be a felon or underage. Then he walks away and goes to the LEO huddle for 2 seconds, comes back, tells me that he giving me back my firearm and that I should conceal when the next bus comes and walks away.

So...

I got back to Hampton with NO problems whatsoever, get in my car, drive BACK to Norfolk to get some FOIA goodies (I forgot to ask for the police dashcams which I knew were running).

Thanks in advance for the funny comments I'll read later!!!

Dan the Black Man with a Gun

MeBaby

imported post

"I tell them "good, I'll just get it back along with the lawsuit" ".

That's probably what jogged the guy's memory, thus the huddle and the release.

THE POPOMAGNET STRIKES AGAIN. :celebrate:celebrateGlad it came out better than the first encounter though. I know........ just needed some more money, huh? ;)

"bus ride to cash".... a new game show :cool:

doug23838

imported post

Did you have use another transit slip on the next bus? It sounded like first bus didn't wait around for you. :X

I might be wanting a bus pass thrown in with all this FOIA stuff.

I'd be tempted to carry a very nice, obviously expensive hangun in Norfolk.

When the cop asked me something about the gun. I'd tell him I used the money from the settlement to buy it. :celebrate

Ohio Patriot

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Dan.... you seem to have the worst luck!!! :lol:

The cold hard reality is thathis ethnicity probably has something to do with it. "A black man? With a gun?!?! :what:Go get him!"

This crap has GOT to stop. :cuss::cuss::cuss:

Renegade

imported post

doug23838 wrote:

When the cop asked me something about the gun. I'd tell him I used the money from the settlement to buy it. :celebrate
I think Danbus should buy himself a new 24k Gold Desert Eagle in .50 AE caliber!!!

finish_DE_TG.jpg

nova

imported post

Renegade wrote:
doug23838 wrote:

I think Danbus should buy himself a new 24k Gold Desert Eagle in .50 AE caliber!!!

finish_DE_TG.jpg

better yet, make it tiger striped!
Desert_Eagle_Mark_XIX_Titanium_Gold_Tiger_Stripe_.50_AE-495x303.jpg

You'd think NPD would have had some education after the last incident.

Stay safe Dan and never give up!

Jared

imported post

Honestly Dan I really think the problem is that they are not use to seeing a black man with a gun.

At this point in time there is no excuse for any misconduct by LEO's in Virginia. This issue has been beaten to death.

It honestly seems that these cops were just racist and were uncomfortable with a minority carrying a gun.

For anyone who would contest that statement, then they just need to look at the facts. They threatened him with arrest for disorderly conduct, not showing ID etc. yet Dan stood his ground on ALL of these..... and nothing happened to him.

This shows that these NPD "public servants" are WELL aware of the laws in Virginia and they just wanted to see what they could get away with.

It's a shame.

I have often though about this regarding open carry. For what it is, I bet that a white man would have less of a problem overall with open carry then a minority would.... it's sad.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dan, towards the end of your story, you refer to an officer discussing refusal to provide ID.

You didn't mention it earlier in the story, but were you asked to provide ID and you declined?

2a4all

imported post

So Dan:

Sorry to hear that you were hassled again. But I'd like to ask a couple of questions:

Why are you so confident of success in another lawsuit when Chet Szymecki (sp?) is having such a bad time with his?

Does your confidentiality agreement with Norfolk (from your earlier case) allow you to publicly state the complaint you (would have) filed? How is it similar (or different) than Chet's?

Does keeping you quiet (with cash settlements) give Norfolk some sort of strategic advantage with Chet's case?

You both have the same lawyer and are seeking redress against the same entity.

Best of luck!

richarcm

imported post

Another good one! Although I do respect the law enforcement and have one in my family I do like to hear of them being put in their place.

Good job!

SIGguy229

imported post

Seriously....you should have engraved on your carry weapon the following: "This gun was bought from the lawsuit won the last time a NPD officer arrested me for legally carrying a firearm. I am not a felon. Just a BMWAG."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Well....here you go again Dan. This is like the last encounter though, I can't see where you did anything to bring it on yourself.

There does appear to be a serious race problem there! There also seems to be a serious anti gun issue also.

Hopefully, the dashcam audio will be usable. I assume you asked for any radio communications.

Keep us updated.