• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting ready to OC for the first time

BryantsvilleBum

imported post

Ok, I'm going to my CCDW course Saturday in lexington and want to open carry there and back, and maybe to walmart to buy the ammo. I have never OC'd before, what can I expect, and what can I do to better prepare myself?

Thanks!

N00blet45

imported post

Go with a friend who supports you and have them carry a camera if something does happen. Not only will it help your case if you get arrested but the people on this forum love juicy videos of cops behaving badly.

WCrawford

imported post

If your area is anything like mine (Nashville, TN) you will not have any problems at all. Since I got my TN HCP, I have done nothing but open carry. I can count on one hand the number of people who just stared. Most people don't even notice and a few notice and then go about their business.

I've only been OCing about a 5-6 weeks and I have not had any real confrontation with anyone (good or bad).

Remember, just be yourself and revel in the awe of being an American with the rights and responsibilities that we all share.

BryantsvilleBum

imported post

Thanks, guys! I went to the gas station in Lancaster Ky to fuel up, then went to the range friday to practice. I am a member of the Boyle co fish and game club , right next to the ponderosa speedway. I met a couple of guys who planned on watching a race or two after they spent their shells. I went with them and we all three open carried. there were lots of fellas oc'ing there too. It made me feel much more comfortable with the idea.

BryantsvilleBum

imported post

Thanks, guys! I went to the gas station in Lancaster Ky to fuel up, then went to the range friday to practice. I am a member of the Boyle co fish and game club , right next to the ponderosa speedway. I met a couple of guys who planned on watching a race or two after they spent their shells. I went with them and we all three open carried. there were lots of fellas oc'ing there too. It made me feel much more comfortable with the idea.

Statesman

imported post

BryantsvilleBum wrote:
I went with them and we all three open carried. there were lots of fellas oc'ing there too. It made me feel much more comfortable with the idea.
<anti-gunner comment>

Wow, and there were no shootouts that took place? Impossible!

</anti-gunner comment>

Statesman