• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where do you CC a BUG?

neddis

imported post

I have not been OCing for too long, but have been CCing for less. I have actually only CC'd a handful of times in an IWB holster. It is not very comfortable. I am toying with the idea of getting a small gun for ankle carry as a BUG or when I can't OC, but I don't know if that's any more comfortable than IWB or not. Can you guys give me your input on this? I am eyeing a Sprinfield XD sub compact. I don't want to go with anything smaller than 9mm for a BUG. So I guess my questions are:
1) do you CC in an ankle rig?
2) if so, what kind of gun works well with this method of carry?

Thanks a bunch for the input.

Edited because I can't ever write it correctly the first time.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I guess you're not willing to consider a purse? :celebrate

How about a smart carry?

I can't imagine, unless you are seated, reaching for an ankle holster. What do you do, stop moving (toward cover, concealment, or safety), bend down, retrieve the firearm, stand up, and then continue?

neddis

imported post

Yeah... no purse. I don't like having extra stuff with me when I go anywhere. I like to have everything in pockets so I have both hands free. Also, I know I would set it down and forget it somewhere. I am not a fan of fanny packs either.

Smart carry - I know a lot of people use them, but I am not sure it would work for me. I don't think most of my pants are loose enough. Looks uncomfortable too, but I guess that is the price you pay for CC.

Never really thought about the time aspect of drawing from an ankle holster. I may give that some additional thought. I just want a concealable, comfortable CC option! :)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I've tried it, to draw from standing requires taking a kind of 3 point football stance. It also has an advantage for drawing from a seated or prone on your back. I'd only recommend it for a secondary carry weapon.

ODA 226

imported post

IMHO, ankle carry is the WORST way to carry a pistol. This would be my last choice. (And YES, I have carried a .25 ACP Jetfire this way.) It is horribly slow to draw.

My primary BUG is a Colt .380 Mustang and my alternate is a Taurus 2" .357 Magnum. Both fit well into my Galco Pocket Holster. Give this a try. It is very fast and comfortable.

rodbender

imported post

I carry my Glock 22C in an inside the waistband on my right side about 4 o'clock. My BUG is a S&W airweight .38 in a cross draw about 10:eek:'clock. I use a revolver for aBUG because if I lose my primary, it's probably going to be close quarters and don't have to worry about jamming it into a body and having the slide go back a little and out of battery.