• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Changing the Laws

WCrawford

imported post

Other than write and call out local representatives (which does me no good as mine are far left-wing, anti-2A Dems:banghead:), what can we do to get some of the state's gun laws changed?

Personally, I want the ability to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol and parks. As long as I'm not consuming the alcohol, what difference does it really make? And why do I suddenly lose my ability to protect myself or family when I enter a restaurant or park?

Fallguy

imported post

The largest single obstacle to changing the firearms laws in TN is the Speaker of the House James Nafieh.

What really needs to happen is, preferably he not be re-elected back to the house period (unlikely :() or at least not elected to Speaker position by the members of the house.

However I admit I'm not sure how to go about making either of those happen. I believe if there were ever a Republican majority in the house they would not elected him speaker.

suntzu

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Other than write and call out local representatives (which does me no good as mine are far left-wing, anti-2A Dems:banghead:), what can we do to get some of the state's gun laws changed?

Personally, I want the ability to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol and parks. As long as I'm not consuming the alcohol, what difference does it really make? And why do I suddenly lose my ability to protect myself or family when I enter a restaurant or park?
Could we not start a petition to get a refrendum on the next election ballot? I mean the government is supposed to abide by the will of the majority--not the will of the select few. If enough signatures could be obtained and turned in to the state or the governor--perhaps that could at least get the ball rolling. Yes/no?

Other than that--you could start a letter writing campaign, get everyone who is for changing the laws to write in to their representatives at the state level and let them know how the majority feel. In the end however, it all comes down to what the government wants to do. The anti-gun lobby is a powerful force.

Fallguy

imported post

Letting your elected officials know how you feel is definitely a good idea and encouraging your friends and neighbors to as well is good.

But while I'm sure the majority of those of us who carry would like to see the laws changed,it may or may not be the majority of all theconstituents of that particular elected official.

However...the squeaky will gets the grease, it just the State Park commissioner and TN Restaurant Association have been able to squeak louder than us that last few years.

falcon1

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
The largest single obstacle to changing the firearms laws in TN is the Speaker of the House James Nafieh.
In my opinion, until he is no longer Speaker of the House by whatever method, he will quash/kill/use any method available to him to prevent useful reform of Tennessee law, period. No amount of letter writing, petition signing, or anything else will change that.

If you want reform in this issue, elect Republican representatives so that Mr. Naifeh is no longer elected Speaker. OMO, YMMV. :)

falcon1

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Electing Republicans is easier said than done in my East Nashville area. Just in a 3 block radius of my home are 48 Obama or Obama/Biden yard signs, not a single McCain or McCain/Pallin.
No argument here. It is not so strong for Senator Obama in my part of the state, but electing Republican state representatives may not yet have happened since Reconstruction. :shock:

DJBiker

imported post

falcon1 wrote:
Fallguy wrote:
In my opinion, until he is no longer Speaker of the House by whatever method, he will quash/kill/use any method available to him to prevent useful reform of Tennessee law, period. No amount of letter writing, petition signing, or anything else will change that.

If you want reform in this issue, elect Republican representatives so that Mr. Naifeh is no longer elected Speaker. OMO, YMMV. :)

I would vote Republican on any ticket in Tennessee, however in my District, we don't even have a Republican candidate for the Senate or the House. No one is running, so all I can do is elect the proper Dem...Eeegad!

I will say that John Tanner has been a great friend to the permit holder as he is a very strong gun advocate, and has sponsored most of the pro-gun legislation. However, as long as Naifeh is there, we are sunk. We have had the restaurant carry bill pass the Senate three times and had enough sponsors in the House to pass it three times as well, but since is has never been allowed to come to the floor, there will never be a vote.

WCrawford

imported post

I happen to live in East Nashville. Thelma Harper is my State Senator and my House Representative in Rob Briley.

Major uphill battle for me. A number of years ago, I attempted to run for House Representative, and I could not even get enough signatures because I was not a Dem.