• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Equilibrium

canadian

imported post

I just saw that movie on TV a couple of weeks ago. It was really, really bad.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Same-same as all the ninjas in a circle around the hero waiting patiently for their turn to be thrown, sliced and diced. Looks great on both the large and small screen, but never seems to work out that way in real life.

Anybody else remember the pugilstick pit when you were thrown in against 2, 3 or more others? Anybody else participated in a "rumble" (OK, I'm showing my age here)?

stay safe.

skidmark

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I love that movie! Not saying it's realistic or anything but good story and action. I think the same fight choreographer did Ultraviolent...

Speaking of realistic and movies, how realistic was the shooting in The Shooter?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
Speaking of realistic and movies, how realistic was the shooting in The Shooter?
Not something that everyone who shoots can do but, the shots made in the movie are possible with the weapons portrayed.....

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

The movie was not meant to be realistic. The idea of a martial art built around the possible trajectories of ammunition is very interesting. I too have been in a "rumble", only more than once it was one sided (as in me vs 2+) and I wish I could tell you I always came out unscathed, but... Anyway, one can train to handle such a situation. Even though the others in the fight don't follow your rules or steps, the fundamentals of the fight will always be the same. It is called flexibility within the discipline. Have a handle on the foundation and you can adapt as you see fit. That is why the Gun Kata seems interesting.

...Ahh whatever! It's just cool to see bullets flying from a couple of highly modified Beretta 92f's!

Legba

imported post

Ah, the good old days. "Rumbles" were a bit before my time, but I do remember sharpening pencils with switchblades in school before "zero tolerance." As long as nobody ended up hospitalized, nobody cared. The last one-on-one fight I was in did end up with both of us hospitalized. I got my skull cracked and the other guy lost a couple teeth. I wouldn't say that either of us won. No pain meds and no excused absence from school for it either (it happened off-campus).

-ljp

Michigander

imported post

I hated that movie for so many reasons. I was most angered by how they made the resistance fighters with AKs look like bumbling idiots who couldn't take out one idiot who didn't even use cover or armor.

John Millius needs to make some more movies. :(

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
At least they didn't try to "bend the bullet" like in that Wanted movie.......
"I want you to bend it with your mind. It's easy once you realize there is no bullet."

Statesman

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I too have been in a "rumble", only more than once it was one sided (as in me vs 2+) and I wish I could tell you I always came out unscathed, but... Anyway, one can train to handle such a situation. Even though the others in the fight don't follow your rules or steps, the fundamentals of the fight will always be the same. It is called flexibility within the discipline. Have a handle on the foundation and you can adapt as you see fit. That is why the Gun Kata seems interesting.

...Ahh whatever! It's just cool to see bullets flying from a couple of highly modified Beretta 92f's!
With respect to defending yourself against multiple assailants, and without getting into x martial art is better than y, it may interest people to know that the Chinese Imperial Guards back in the 1800's almost exclusively utilized Pa Kua Chang, one of the (fascinating) Chinese internal martial art systems, to defend against gangs of roving thugs. It mainly utilizes highly circular movements and advanced stepping patterns to constantly outflank whomever is being confronted. I've heard consistently that good Pa Kua fighters are not only difficult, but highly annoying to fight, because they will easily out flank you.

The Pa Kua Chang internal style is not well known in the west, but it is gaining popularity, so some people will find it difficult to relate to. Those of you near Richmond Virginia that wish to look into this practice, can learn under Master Park Bok Nam. In Lexington KY, you can learn under Sin The`. Sin The` has various schools around the U.S., and the world.

In my humble opinion, if you want to defend yourself against multiple attackers effectively, you can't go wrong with learning Pa Kua!

- Statesman

rodbender

imported post

Statesman wrote:
In my humble opinion, if you want to defend yourself against multiple attackers effectively, you can't go wrong with learning Pa Kua!

- Statesman

Unless it's with an AR 15, AK 47, 1928 Thompson, etc., etc.

However, a 1911, HK, Glock, or heck even a Hi Point for that matter will do nicely.

Guess I'm just too old for all that swinging and punching stuff anymore.