Thread: George Mason University

Post imported post

Last night at the VCDL meeting, new "yellow cards" though now flourescent green, had GMU added to places where carry was prohibited. I'm at GMU right now and don't have the card I received, so could anyone post the relavant law (I know on the back of the card there was a citation).

When did this happen?

and HOW?

Post imported post

Is this it?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...g+8VAC35-60-30

...George Mason University police officers are lawfully in charge for the purposes of forbidding entry upon or remaining upon university property while possessing or carrying weapons in violation of this prohibition.
    EDIT: Here it is:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...g+8VAC35-60-20

What makes GMU so special that every other university isn't also listed?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The only thing I've found, so far, is this. University Policy Number 1120.

II. POLICY STATEMENT
    Consistent with the Code of Virginia, the Board of Visitors has approved a restriction against weapons on campus for faculty, staff and students. The exception to this prohibition is for law enforcement officials appointed pursuant to §15.2-1609, et seq., of the Code of Virginia; §15.2-1700, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; §23-232, et. seq. of the Code of Virginia; §29.1-200, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; §52-1, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; and sworn federal law enforcement officers.

Post imported post

DoubleR wrote:
    The only thing I've found, so far, is this. University Policy Number 1120.

II. POLICY STATEMENT
    Consistent with the Code of Virginia, the Board of Visitors has approved a restriction against weapons on campus for faculty, staff and students. The exception to this prohibition is for law enforcement officials appointed pursuant to §15.2-1609, et seq., of the Code of Virginia; §15.2-1700, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; §23-232, et. seq. of the Code of Virginia; §29.1-200, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; §52-1, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; and sworn federal law enforcement officers.

As I read it, this says nothing about members of the public at large, just that if you're a member of the faculty, staff, or a student who is also in law enforcement then you're allowed to carry.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Is this it?

...George Mason University police officers are lawfully in charge for the purposes of forbidding entry upon or remaining upon university property while possessing or carrying weapons in violation of this prohibition.
    That is the Admin code isn't it?

What is the weight of it V. the Virginia Code

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Is this it?

That is the Admin code isn't it?

What is the weight of it V. the Virginia Code
    To be decided by a judge and probably appealed all the way up.

George Mason and VCU would seem to have statutory control - this has been debated here before but no conclusion possible without a test case. Any volunteers?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I'm a student there so I can't be the test case for this one...and I've put too much time and money to quit now.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    I'm a student there so I can't be the test case for this one...and I've put too much time and money to quit now.
    But you will graduate one day - right?

I will remind you of your promise to volunteer the day after.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    nova wrote:
    But you will graduate one day - right?
    I hope!

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Philip explained last night this was put on the cards because VCDL has a reputation to provide information to its members. Since this hasn't been tested, and VCDL believes the rule to be illlegal (that may be the wrong word in this case; I don't think Philip used that), it's up in the air.

Still, in the interest of being responsible to our members (these cards were being stuffed into renewal envelopes last night), the Board of Directors voted to add it to the list of places off limits to protect those unwilling to be a test case.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Ah OK. When I was at the meeting I didn't exactly understand what was going on when that topic was brought up.

Thanks

Post imported post

FWIW, I OC'd at the GMU School of Law in Arlington. I posted that in another thread a last week.

Post imported post

I emailed a GMUPD officer about open carry on campus and he only cited a admin rule not a state statute. This was about a month ago.

Post imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
    I emailed a GMUPD officer about open carry on campus and he only cited a admin rule not a state statute. This was about a month ago.
    Having responded to you, he probably will not say more unless pressed.

He obviously told you what he wanted you to hear, not what you requested.

Tap him on the shoulder again.

Yata hey

Post imported post

GMUPD and I are not in good terms right now so someone else should probably ask

Post imported post

I'd ask but I haven't seen an officer while I've been on campus for at least a week. Yep we sure can rely on them to be there to protect us

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    I'd ask but I haven't seen an officer while I've been on campus for at least a week. Yep we sure can rely on them to be there to protect us
    Yea..you need to go to HQ and find them. I did a ride-a-long once and we watched a movie in the middle of the shift lol

Post imported post

Hmmm I didn't know GMU police did ride alongs. I may have to look into that.

It is strange though, as the first 3 weeks I'd see at least two officers every day.

Post imported post

bump for ed and nakedshoplifter who asked at breakfast this morning.