• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

George Mason University

nova

imported post

Last night at the VCDL meeting, new "yellow cards" though now flourescent green, had GMU added to places where carry was prohibited. I'm at GMU right now and don't have the card I received, so could anyone post the relavant law (I know on the back of the card there was a citation).

When did this happen?

and HOW?

nova

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The only thing I've found, so far, is this. University Policy Number 1120.

II. POLICY STATEMENT
Consistent with the Code of Virginia, the Board of Visitors has approved a restriction against weapons on campus for faculty, staff and students. The exception to this prohibition is for law enforcement officials appointed pursuant to §15.2-1609, et seq., of the Code of Virginia; §15.2-1700, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; §23-232, et. seq. of the Code of Virginia; §29.1-200, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; §52-1, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; and sworn federal law enforcement officers.

ccunning

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
The only thing I've found, so far, is this. University Policy Number 1120.

II. POLICY STATEMENT
Consistent with the Code of Virginia, the Board of Visitors has approved a restriction against weapons on campus for faculty, staff and students. The exception to this prohibition is for law enforcement officials appointed pursuant to §15.2-1609, et seq., of the Code of Virginia; §15.2-1700, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; §23-232, et. seq. of the Code of Virginia; §29.1-200, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; §52-1, et seq. of the Code of Virginia; and sworn federal law enforcement officers.

As I read it, this says nothing about members of the public at large, just that if you're a member of the faculty, staff, or a student who is also in law enforcement then you're allowed to carry.

hsmith

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hsmith wrote:
nova wrote:
Is this it?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC35-60-30

...George Mason University police officers are lawfully in charge for the purposes of forbidding entry upon or remaining upon university property while possessing or carrying weapons in violation of this prohibition.
That is the Admin code isn't it?

What is the weight of it V. the Virginia Code
To be decided by a judge and probably appealed all the way up.

George Mason and VCU would seem to have statutory control - this has been debated here before but no conclusion possible without a test case. Any volunteers?

Yata hey

nova

imported post

I'm a student there so I can't be the test case for this one...and I've put too much time and money to quit now. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:
I'm a student there so I can't be the test case for this one...and I've put too much time and money to quit now. ;)
But you will graduate one day - right?

I will remind you of your promise to volunteer the day after. :)

Yata hey

nova

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
But you will graduate one day - right?
I hope! :banghead:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Philip explained last night this was put on the cards because VCDL has a reputation to provide information to its members. Since this hasn't been tested, and VCDL believes the rule to be illlegal (that may be the wrong word in this case; I don't think Philip used that), it's up in the air.

Still, in the interest of being responsible to our members (these cards were being stuffed into renewal envelopes last night), the Board of Directors voted to add it to the list of places off limits to protect those unwilling to be a test case.

nova

imported post

Ah OK. When I was at the meeting I didn't exactly understand what was going on when that topic was brought up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
I emailed a GMUPD officer about open carry on campus and he only cited a admin rule not a state statute. This was about a month ago.
Having responded to you, he probably will not say more unless pressed.

He obviously told you what he wanted you to hear, not what you requested.

Tap him on the shoulder again. :)

Yata hey

nova

imported post

I'd ask but I haven't seen an officer while I've been on campus for at least a week. Yep we sure can rely on them to be there to protect us :banghead:

cmartin7864

imported post

nova wrote:
I'd ask but I haven't seen an officer while I've been on campus for at least a week. Yep we sure can rely on them to be there to protect us :banghead:
Yea..you need to go to HQ and find them. I did a ride-a-long once and we watched a movie in the middle of the shift lol

nova

imported post

Hmmm I didn't know GMU police did ride alongs. I may have to look into that.

It is strange though, as the first 3 weeks I'd see at least two officers every day.

nova

imported post

bump for ed and nakedshoplifter who asked at breakfast this morning.