• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in VT w/Out of State license

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
snip..........
Here's hoping that a National Recognition is approved that does not require ANY licence to carry concealed or otherwise....
Gasp ! You do realize you are advocating full acceptance and agreement with the Second Amendment? Perhaps you even intend for complete preemption at the national level of our RTKBA ! Would that it could be so in my lifetime.

Yata hey

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
snip..........
Here's hoping that a National Recognition is approved that does not require ANY licence to carry concealed or otherwise....
Gasp ! You do realize you are advocating full acceptance and agreement with the Second Amendment? Perhaps you even intend for complete preemption at the national level of our RTKBA ! Would that it could be so in my lifetime.

Yata hey

I am appaulled that we find ourselves in a situation where the government at any level has the ability to PRE-EMPTIVELY intervene in our lives, liberty, and pursuit of happiness by regulation, legeslation, and breauracracy!

ELIMINATE ALL LAWS THAT DO SUCH. By the same token... If I drive in such a manner that I cause injury to another... make me pay the bill!

I should not have to pay an artificially raised cost because someone decided that May 1986 was a good month and year to dis-allow otherwise law abiding citizens from possessing, owning, making a class 3 weapon, silencer, etc.

off soapbox!

edited for spelling... more spelling errors may remain!

sheepdog

imported post

...actually, an important part of 18USC922 is (D).... D) the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest. ......and a juvenile may have a handgun and ammunition within the Fed. laws with a note from parents...on the way to and from a listed activity allowed by state law....it's not really too restrictive....

carryall

imported post

Hello,
As a matter of course, nj does not extend the right of CWP to anyone other than lawyers, judges and politicians. Go figure. nj may issue a subject an FID card, which is needed to then apply to your local police chief to beg a permit to purchase a pistol, if the chief so desires you as a subject, to be granted one.
Unless you are the lucky few, and I mean few, who have a permit to carry concealed in nj, the only thing you will have if granted to you is your nj firearms identification card, and individually granted or denied permits to purchase a pistol(s), each individually approved or denied by your local police chief. If you at any given time are denied by your local police chief the right to purchase a pistol, your only recourse is to file a claim with your local nj superior court. Most often that court will rule with the local police chief and uphold your denied request to purchase. The strange thing is a matter of nj law, the judge basically has to declare you to be a known danger to the overall health and welfare to society. I have seen this done

hudson valley

imported post

modificationvt wrote:
If I remember correctly any citizen of the US can CC or OC in Vermont.
I believe that anyone can carry as long as they are not doing so for an illegal purpose....

Thundar

imported post

CHEYENNE wrote:
IMHO, VT is the only state that truelly supports 2A, no infringment their!!:celebrate

Bummer I moved to AZ, now I gotta spend $150-$200:banghead:Someday I'll go back, someday soon:celebrate
Alaska is pretty good too.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
NYShooter wrote:
I'm not 100% sure about VT, but I have a non-resident permit for PA and their rules are that you are limited to your home states permit conditions. Which means, if you have a permit that is restricted to your home and not full carry you can not carry in public. Or if you have just for hunting then you can only carry while hunting etc. Since you are from Westchester I'm sure you don't have full carry. I would check with the states laws first even though residents don't need a permit.

How sure of this are you? Citation please.

When carrying in another state, you go by the laws of the state you are visiting--not your home state.

Afterall, how could one state enforce another state's laws?

For example, in certain states, you cannot carry a firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol. In VA--you MUST open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. If I visit another state--I don't OC--I adhere to the laws of the state I'm visiting.

I believe the state of Indiana may be an exception as far as recognizing all state's handgun license. For example, VA's handgun license specifies "concealed" handgun license, so, one must conceal carry in Indiana (if there are off limit areas that Indiana has, they must be recognized and respected). Ifone have a license that does not specify "concealed" handgun license such as PA's handgun license, one can OC or CC (if I need to be corrected about any of this, please do so).

This brings me to an interesting question: "Since Indiana recognizes other states handgun licenses, wouldIndiana recognize a VT citizen's rightto OC or CC without a license (since they don't need a license to OC or CC)?"

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

Leverdude

imported post

: "Since Indiana recognizes other states handgun licenses, would Indiana recognize a VT citizen's right to OC or CC without a license (since they don't need a license to OC or CC)?"

Nope, thats why AK has a pistol permit if you want it even though you dont need it.

But as far as I know if another state recognizes your permit you go by that states laws.
In VT its a moot point because there are no laws to break & nothing to charge you with unless you actually commit a crime.

Smurfologist

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
: "Since Indiana recognizes other states handgun licenses, would Indiana recognize a VT citizen's right to OC or CC without a license (since they don't need a license to OC or CC)?"

Nope, thats why AK has a pistol permit if you want it even though you dont need it.

But as far as I know if another state recognizes your permit you go by that states laws.
In VT its a moot point because there are no laws to break & nothing to charge you with unless you actually commit a crime.

Here is a link that explains what I was trying to say in my post:

I love VT's CC/OC rules. It makes me want to retire there (smile).:celebrate However, VT may want to go the route of AK so that they won't have any issues in other states (like Indiana). Of course, a VT resident could just get a non-resident license from another state (like UT, NH, or PA).

Yooper

imported post

This is how this works.......
If you have a permit, say a Concealed WEAPONS permit from Florida, you can carry in any state that honors that florida permit. BUT you have to follow the laws of the state you are in.

Example, Michigan has a Concealed PISTOL license, and also recognizes permits from all other states. But Michigan law only allows for the carrying of concealed PISTOLS and not WEAPONS in general. Therefore, a Florida resident carrying a handgun in Michigan is ok, but a Florida resident carrying brass knuckles is a no-no in Michigan.

Unlike NY/NJ and a few other states, most allow citizens and non citizens to openly carry a handgun without any permit. The state of Colorado doesn't give a rats butt if you need a permit to posses/carry/transport a handgun in NY or NJ, all they care about is that you follow Colorado's laws.

VT works the same way, they don't care if I have 20 permits, or none, as long as I follow the laws of VT. Since VT doesn't prohibit persons from carrying a handgun, anybody (law abiding of course) can.

The only ones I wouldn't be sure on are those jurisdictions that place restrictions on concealed licenses. Usually they are seen in "may issue" states. Would Utah recognize a permit from Iowa that's restricted to hunting and target shooting only as a fully authorized permit in their state? I don't know.

Yooper

imported post

This is how this works.......
If you have a permit, say a Concealed WEAPONS permit from Florida, you can carry in any state that honors that florida permit. BUT you have to follow the laws of the state you are in.

Example, Michigan has a Concealed PISTOL license, and also recognizes permits from all other states. But Michigan law only allows for the carrying of concealed PISTOLS and not WEAPONS in general. Therefore, a Florida resident carrying a handgun in Michigan is ok, but a Florida resident carrying brass knuckles is a no-no in Michigan.

Unlike NY/NJ and a few other states, most allow citizens and non citizens to openly carry a handgun without any permit. The state of Colorado doesn't give a rats butt if you need a permit to posses/carry/transport a handgun in NY or NJ, all they care about is that you follow Colorado's laws.

VT works the same way, they don't care if I have 20 permits, or none, as long as I follow the laws of VT. Since VT doesn't prohibit persons from carrying a handgun, anybody (law abiding of course) can.

The only ones I wouldn't be sure on are those jurisdictions that place restrictions on concealed licenses. Usually they are seen in "may issue" states. Would Utah recognize a permit from Iowa that's restricted to hunting and target shooting only as a fully authorized permit in their state? I don't know.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Yooper wrote:

...since you used Utah as an example. :p

Utah will honor a "permit to carry a concealed firearm" issued by any State or County.

76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2) ,[concealed carry]and Section 76-10-505 [loaded carry and school zones] do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county.

Now, I realize that every State has a different title printedon the card, but Utah chose the wording to match what is printed on our card.

That being said, law enforcement here does not seem to care. As long as you have some kind of "gun permit" Utah willlikely honor it. :D

utahelevatedlogo.gif

Smurfologist

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Yooper wrote:

Utah will honor a "permit to carry a concealed firearm" issued by any State or County.

(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2) ,[concealed carry]and Section 76-10-505 [loaded carry and school zones] do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:

Now, I realize that every State has a different title printedon the card, but Utah chose the wording to match what is printed on our card.

That being said, law enforcement here does not seem to care. As long as you have some kind of "gun permit" Utah willlikely honor it. :D

utahelevatedlogo.gif

Sounds like you are not sure, SGT Jensen (of course, I am playing devil's advocate).However, I do understand what you are trying to convey.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
Yooper wrote:

utahelevatedlogo.gif

Sounds like you are not sure, SGT Jensen (of course, I am playing devil's advocate).However, I do understand what you are trying to convey.

If SGT Jensen will forgive me...

I will assume that SGT Jensen does not know EVERY LEO in the State of Utah. I do not! For those that we DO know... MOST have been reasonable and willing to learn. A few have not but those for the most part seem to be from the SALT LAKE COUNTY REGIONS!

I personally know several LEO's in Utah County and have not had any issues regarding open carrying from those that I know.

As much as you seem to want us to make an absolute statement that every LEO in the state is completely knowledgeable about ALL the nuances regarding Open Carry.... I am not willing to say that.

I do hope that knowledge, understanding, and appreciation is growing among both sides of this issue... the side of the citizen (not violating the law) and the officer (not violating our rights, civil and otherwise!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Smurfologist wrote:

You're right, I am not sure. I don't know if it was the Legislatures intention to honor any type of permit from any possible issuing authority.

I do know that it is understood that we welcome all who are armed, and don't really care what is printed on your card.

Our gun laws here are very relaxed, and for the most part, so is our law enforcement when it comes to concealed carry.

Flash them some kind of "gun permit", and they will probably be cool with it. ...unless you find that one a-hole! :p

Smurfologist

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:

You're right, I am not sure. I don't know if it was the Legislatures intention to honor any type of permit from any possible issuing authority.

I do know that it is understood that we welcome all who are armed, and don't really care what is printed on your card.

Our gun laws here are very relaxed, and for the most part, so is our law enforcement when it comes to concealed carry.

Flash them some kind of "gun permit", and they will probably be cool with it. ...unless you find that one a-hole! :p

Now, I definitely know what you were conveying.:lol:Stay safe!!

HessMan1075

imported post

Let's go Swank!! Time to Shoot

Just Got my Pistol Permit Yesterday, Went and Picked up my first Gun( S&W9mm )

Gonna Shoot in Vermont for the First time, this weekend..

Watch Out!! \:lol:

Yooper

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
NYShooter wrote:
I'm not 100% sure about VT, but I have a non-resident permit for PA and their rules are that you are limited to your home states permit conditions. Which means, if you have a permit that is restricted to your home and not full carry you can not carry in public. Or if you have just for hunting then you can only carry while hunting etc. Since you are from Westchester I'm sure you don't have full carry. I would check with the states laws first even though residents don't need a permit.

How sure of this are you? Citation please.

When carrying in another state, you go by the laws of the state you are visiting--not your home state.

Afterall, how could one state enforce another state's laws?

For example, in certain states, you cannot carry a firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol. In VA--you MUST open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. If I visit another state--I don't OC--I adhere to the laws of the state I'm visiting.
Michigan's law used to allow people to carry in michigan and follow their home states laws. Thus, if for example, michigan banned carrying in a bar, but the state you were from allowed carrying in a bar, you could legally carry in a bar in michigan. I don't remember the exact wording, but the statue read something like: All privlages granted by the persons home state shall be granted in this state.

However, at the time, MI was "may-issue" and didn't have any GFZ's that I can remember, so it was essentially a non-issue. The "shall-issue" law got rid of that.