• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news in Fayetteville

PavePusher

imported post

I haven't been there in years, and probably won't be for many more, but I really used to like the place, and my first Karate instructor worked there.

Via http://keepandbeararms.com/news/nl/disp.asp?d=9/19/2008:

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=304785

Gunshops can keep licenses, judge says

By Paul Woolverton
Staff writer
A federal judge decided Tuesday that Jim’s Gun Jobbery of Fayetteville and the Jim’s store in Wilmington can keep their licenses to sell firearms.

Jim’s Gun Jobbery in Fayetteville and Jim’s Pawn & Gun in Wilmington sometimes violated regulations requiring dealers to closely track their inventory, U.S. District Judge Malcolm J. Howard said in his ruling. But he decided the violations were unintentional and made up only a tiny percentage of the stores’ sales since Jim Faircloth went into business in 1977.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been trying since 2005 to revoke the licenses of Jim’s, said to be the largest gun dealer in North Carolina. The ATF said the stores repeatedly lost track of guns in their inventory over an eight-year period and had not resolved the problem despite repeated warnings.

Gun dealers are required to record the movement of weapons in and out of their possession. The rule is intended to keep guns away from convicted felons and others who aren’t allowed to have firearms. In practice, Jim’s tracked its inventory with logbooks and other records filled out by hand.

Jim’s fought the license revocation and took its case to a federal trial in August. Judge Howard presided over the nonjury proceedings.

In his decision Tuesday, Howard said Jim’s violated the law but the business worked hard to improve. It located most of the guns thought missing, and over the years the number of errors declined.

Jim’s never willfully violated the law, Howard said.

Repeated violations can show someone is willfully breaking the law, Howard said, but he decided that Jim’s did not cross that threshold.

Faircloth is relieved and grateful for Howard’s ruling, said his lawyer, Gerald Beaver of Fayetteville. “He feels vindicated, and his reputation has been restored,” Beaver said.

There was no evidence that Faircloth’s stores ever sold a gun to an unauthorized person, Beaver said.

U.S. Attorney George Holding declined to comment on the ruling.

Beaver said he expects the government to appeal the decision.

Staff writer Paul Woolverton can be reached at woolvertonp@fayobserver.com or 486-3512.

Dragon88

imported post

Their prices are ok. I got a good deal on an XD45 there a month ago. However, they are so close to Fort Bragg, they can afford to jack the prices up a little because most military guys will still pay it. I've been happy with my experiences at Jim's, but next time I buy a gun I'll probably go to Ed's on US 1. I also tend to prefer Guns Plus.

ghoststan

imported post

jims is really $$$$$$ eds gun shop has good prices at vass and a store at wagram call south guns have some good prices.. jims also voted on banning gun shows in north carolina they want all the money..i most say i got a really good deal on a saiga 12 at southern pines store was $399 then i ask him can i get another one for the same price yes i order for you but $80 down i told him ok i will be back tomorrow..come back next day here is my $80 he was now is higher $560 im like wtf? hahaha well i got it for $399

eclipse13

imported post

Jims has the best prices on Glocks in Wilmington. I've checked Shooter's Choice and One Stop Cop Shop.

glock30

imported post

Guess the ATF should clean up their own house before accusing someone else of shoddy bookkeeping/losing firearms

eclipse13

imported post

ghoststan wrote:
well jims in fay has a glock 27 40 cal for $580 or so eds gun shop has the same gun for $440
Wow, I'm picking up a G23 as soon as my purchase permit comes in and Jims in Wilmington has one for 499, shooter's choice is 539, and One Stop Cop Shop is 519.